BANGKOK
Falconator

Combat school ED visas rejected in Hanoi

Posted (edited)

This week, a student at the Hand 2 hand combat school in Chiang Mai was rejected at Hanoi when he tried to apply to get a 1-year ED visa for the school. They were not even allowed to submit their visa application forms. The previous years, the 1-year ED visa was always done at Vientiane, but this year they changed it to Hanoi.

The consul met with the combat school ED visa applicants and accused them of being visa runners. The consul said that over 100 people were rejected this week due to visa policy changes. He also said that they will not be able to get their visa anywhere in Southeast Asia and must apply for back at their home countries. But if they do apply back in the UK or most other Western countries where they are from, they will not be able to get the ED visas since Thai embassies in Western countries have also been cracking down on ED visas.

My visas expires at the end of this month, so I will be leaving Thailand for 2 weeks and then coming back by plane.

I am a US citizen under the age of 30 with a fiance and adopted child here in Chiang Mai, and work remotely via online freelancing platforms (most combat school students are digital nomads too). No jobs are being taken from Thais, and we are good guys who follow all the rules. What options are left?

1. Marriage visa (400,000 baht deposit needed)

2. Iglu digital nomad visa (very expensive option, since 30% of $2,500 USD monthly minimum income needs to be paid to Iglu), which will make my stay in Thailand as expensive as being in a developed country)

3. Be forced to ditch my family and have to move to another Asian country like Vietnam, Cambodia, or the Philippines

I would simply like to stay legally to be here with my family, and not blatantly violate any laws of the land.

Edited by Falconator
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Has anyone tried Core Combat Chiang Mai for visa options? Are there any other schools out there that offer good ED visas?

• Like 1

It seems that immigration is getting tougher on all types of visas.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Falconator said:

But visa running muay thai farangs are still visa runners, right?

I'm guessing the majority of ED holders (except university students maybe) are counting as visa runners but as far as I know it's not against any law and not illegal. You are not doing anything wrong. 

Thought the whole thing about ChiangMai combat school was it is an Army thing thus bulletproof?

2 hours ago, elcaro said:

Not needed everywhere. Unless you want to ditch your fiance and child, I suggest to register marriage and get multiple entry non-o. 

How does that work?

I need to save up 400,000 baht first and get married and do all the paperwork. It'll take 1-2 years, but I need the combat ED visa first while I get these things in order. I can't do it overnight with this visa rejection fiasco happening.

2 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

you adopted the child prior to marriage?, no judgement just curious..

Fiance's stepchild, not actually adopted. On paper, I have no relation to the child at all, but the two of us are inseparable.

• Like 1

No matter which way you go, you cannot stay here forever.  Immigration is getting harder, and more impossible as time goes on.  One thing for sure, if you try to fight to stay, you WILL need lots of cash either to pay an agent, bribe someone, or 800/400K in the bank.  Other great options are to try another country.  Thailand is not the only place on this green earth with good food, people, immigration, air and water.  US is a great place for the family. Vietnam, combo, etc are options.

• Like 2

But really, I think the best way may be to do the marriage visa option. I just need to think of ways to stay for 1-2 more years while saving up for the 400,000 baht deposit, which won't really be that easy to do if I'm living in a high-cost Western country.