Combat school ED visas rejected in Hanoi

Falconator

1 hour ago, fhickson said:

if they dont care where the money comes from why lock up 800k baht in an untouchable account when you could just transfer money in monthly and spend as needed?

Those are 2 separate classes of funding.. One is showing savings (locked up for a period) the other is showing income (sent in monthly). 

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Xavnel said:

Here is an easy solution for Thailand and the Digital Nomads....

Scrap / do away with the Combat ED Visa completely as it appears to be only a farce..

Make a Visa for the DN's,  costing modestly 5,000 Baht, require a Bank Statement in line with ED Language and 6 Month METV Visas ($8,000 USD in Bank), 90 Day Reports,  then also charge a 10,000 Baht monthly fee (call it a tax) payable when doing 90-day Report.

Also...  as with ED Language Visa,   limited to only 3.

There....  I done fixed the Digital Nomad problem.... 

And you think Thailand cant work that out ?? Given they have made smart visas for classes they want, introduced multiple high roller visa classes for higher net worth folks, etc etc.. 

They know, and appear to have chosen not to invite freelancers into the economy legally. 

Personally I think its a mistake, but its thier mistake to make.  

10 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Correct for Earned income. Other income, interest, dividends, rents,...is taxed and not useable in the $110k exemption.

Depends where that other income is sourced.. 

Domestic sourced income in the US is taxable.. Non domestic sourced is often taxable in the country the source passible income comes from, eg if you owned uk property yuou would pay uk tax on rent etc.. 

Depends where that other income is sourced.. 

Domestic sourced income in the US is taxable.. Non domestic sourced is often taxable in the country the source passible income comes from, eg if you owned uk property yuou would pay uk tax on rent etc.. 

Both 100% required to be reported on irs tax forms, both 100% US taxable, second may get credit for foreign taxes paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Both 100% required to be reported on irs tax forms, both 100% US taxable, second may get credit for foreign taxes paid.

No if an american owned property in the UK, the tax is due in the uk, as it is domestic sourced.. The UK imposes thise tax on non resident landlords fairly firmly and requires it. 

That would then presumably be credited under the DTA but the UK will demand it at source. The building that earns the rent is physically inside the uk, the residency of the owner, private or corporate doesnt effect that. 

You may understand UK taxes but you are mistaken about US tax rules.

Tax may be due in UK but income reporting and possibly additional tax is required by US for US citizens.

Failure to report rent on a UK property to the IRS would be a violation of the law even if UK taxes were paid on the rent.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, Bill97 said:

You may understand UK taxes but you are mistaken about US tax rules.

Tax may be due in UK but income reporting and possibly additional tax is required by US for US citizens.

Failure to report rent on a UK property to the IRS would be a violation of the law even if UK taxes were paid on the rent.

Your talking about reporting, I am talking about paying.. 

You said "Correct for Earned income. Other income, interest, dividends, rents,...is taxed and not useable in the $110k exemption." which is what I am pointing out is incorrect and isnt taxed under a DTA if you prove it is taxed at source.. Domestic sourced income is taxed, non domestic sourced income may be taxed at source and after reported the overseas taxation deducted from the US liability due to DTA, if it isnt proven to be paid in another location, with the relevant tax return and tax bill, then I am sure it would still be liable in the US. 

As I keep saying, DTAs dont simple mean theres no obligation to file, and even in many cases temporarily pay multiple jurisductions tax on the same money. DTAs simply allow the person to claim the taxes back from one of the 2 places depending on source of income and residency. 

I for example had a heafty amount of USD deducted on the sale of some equity, took me a year or so, doing a US tax return, declaring I hadnt been to the US etc to claim that all back. Non US citizen, never having been in the country. It was deemed US sourced. 

4 hours ago, bird dog said:

Does anyone know the latest on Hand to Hand Combat? My visa with the expires in 2 months so not sure if I should consider another year with them because of the problems they've had in Hanoi. 

They are considering trying out Kota Bharu (Malaysia) and Bali (Indonesia), but haven't actually gotten results yet.

On 7/26/2019 at 5:47 PM, ZeVonderBearz said:

Digital nomads though taking no jobs also pay zero tax. The PM, not a fan of course, claimed yesterday that only 4million of 70million Thais pay tax, not even 10% of the country. Maybe the government could offer a DN visa but charge a nominal fee per month? 20,000/10,000 baht per month and then that would weed out the YouTubers from the actual DNs.

A good portion would spend a lot more than the average Thai pm on food, entertainment, accommodation etc. I'd say at least 4 times more. How does this not contribute to the local economy? Especially during low season. Not to mention stealth taxes. A lot of businesses would be in serious trouble if we all just up and left. 

On 8/5/2019 at 9:39 AM, banagan said:

A good portion would spend a lot more than the average Thai pm on food, entertainment, accommodation etc. I'd say at least 4 times more. How does this not contribute to the local economy? Especially during low season. Not to mention stealth taxes. A lot of businesses would be in serious trouble if we all just up and left. 

The thing is, Thailand has chosen its own laws.. Simply saying 'hey I am a benefit, I will ignore your laws I dont like' is up to them not you. 

• 3 months later...

I have just secured an ED visa with Hand to Hand combat. They know what they're doing and the ED Visa is still given. So what OP was told at the Thai embassy in Hanoi is complete rubbish. I know because I JUST secured an ED visa with Hand to Hand combat.

Therefore all OP has to do is to travel to other locations and keep trying to apply for the ED Visa. Just because Hanoi rejected DOES NOT mean other locations will. 

What OP should NEVER do is tell anyone he works here, as it is illegal to work in Thailand on an ED visa. 

8 hours ago, Logosone said:

I have just secured an ED visa with Hand to Hand combat. They know what they're doing and the ED Visa is still given. So what OP was told at the Thai embassy in Hanoi is complete rubbish. I know because I JUST secured an ED visa with Hand to Hand combat.

Therefore all OP has to do is to travel to other locations and keep trying to apply for the ED Visa. Just because Hanoi rejected DOES NOT mean other locations will. 

What OP should NEVER do is tell anyone he works here, as it is illegal to work in Thailand on an ED visa. 

At least you told everybody where you got the visa and which documents were required, thanks for such a helpful post

On 11/22/2019 at 8:55 AM, Logosone said:

The problem wasn't getting the initial ED visa, it was getting it a second time. It's not op here that is sprouting rubbish. 

On 7/25/2019 at 9:00 PM, EricTh said:

It seems that immigration is getting tougher on all types of visas.

Yes. I am having my own Visa woes. After 7 years of extensions for Non O for retirement I could not meet their new requirements and my Visa lapsed. Now I am struggling to meet these new requirements and get another Non O for retirement and finding difficulties on the way.  Here is a very helpful post about visas. 

https://www.locationindependent.co.uk/thai-visas-digital-nomad-guide/#HowToGetSETV

Among other Visa related topics he talks about the upcoming and current crackdown on Defence Schools Visas. He is not exactly correct about the non O retirement visa requirement based on 65,000 monthly pension. It is very hard to get and different offices interpret the new law differently.

On 7/30/2019 at 8:23 PM, Xavnel said:

That statement is NOT TRUE.

As an American Citizen,  a person is STILL required to file taxes... No matter the length of stay outside of the USA. Not doing so... you are effectively breaking the United States Tax Law.

If you are outside of the USA for 330 days of the calander year, then you are not required to pay taxes on the 1st $110,000 that you make.  Anything above that figure, then you must pay taxes on. . . . But you must STILL file you Taxes regardless of how much you make.

In June,  my wife and I filed our 2018 Taxes, and because I only made $102,000... we did not have to pay in.

(I work in Saudi Arabia,  the company that I work for is Italian. We moved from the USA in November 2017.)

True.

On 7/28/2019 at 7:11 PM, dimitriv said:

I seriously know someone who gave up his US passport for something more convenient.  Why do you think a US passport is so valuable ?  I wouldn't trade my passport for a US passport ever.

About US tax: https://www.americansabroad.org/us-taxes-abroad-for-dummies-update/   Read it, and you will see that I am right.

I could never recommend to a young person that building a life her is a positive, viable thing. At nearly 60 I wonder if I'll make it to the bitter end with the politics and machinations. I've seen nearly four coups in thirty years. My outlook for foreigners is not positive. For Thais either. I believe the corruption and political issues to drag the country down. Not to mention the debt that individuals hold.

On 7/25/2019 at 11:57 PM, Falconator said:

How does that work?

I need to save up 400,000 baht first and get married and do all the paperwork. It'll take 1-2 years, but I need the combat ED visa first while I get these things in order. I can't do it overnight with this visa rejection fiasco happening.

Fiance's stepchild, not actually adopted. On paper, I have no relation to the child at all, but the two of us are inseparable.

It’s a terrible situation if you are in love with someone and cannot be with them.

I sympathise completely. It’s just terrible.

But...just to be the kindly older man for a minute...you’re a young man who can’t get $15,000 together I’m two years..

You need to be building a career at some stage...digital piece meal work is not a career....it goes nowhere...

All the best and I hope you work it out.

Archived