Combat school ED visas rejected in Hanoi

Falconator

1 minute ago, geoffbezoz said:

So false for you to say you adopted him. And you wonder why Thai immigration are more difficult ? 

You can live with someone for 50 years, devoted to each other and love them immensely but if you are not legally married then simply you are not married and can not claim to be so.

Wow, that seems unnecessarily nasty. Some of you people, what the hell has gone wrong in your lives that you act in this mean-spirited manner?

To the OP, don't panic, just accept that, for the time being, you may have to spend a few weeks out of the country every three months. Find small, cheap cities that you like in countries such as Vietnam, Indonesia, Philippines etc. You might actually find that the time away makes you enjoy your relationship more, and you will certainly get a lot more work done.

Having to travel a bit is not the end of the world, it won't be forever, you will have more options when you have accumulated a bit more money.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have you considered an ED visa for learning thai language ?

if you get married, you could likely use an agent to obtain your non imm O based on marriage.  that would include converting your visa exempt or tourist visa entry into a 90 day non imm O, then a 12 month extension based on marriage.  some agents can get this done w/o you having the 400,000thb in a thai bank.  try calling some agents in CM.

edit:  does savannakhet still issue multi entry non imm O's based on marriage w/o financial proof ?

45 minutes ago, Falconator said:

Thanks for the suggestions. You guys are picking on my family, but given that this forum is full of trolls, that was totally expected.

But let's stick to the main topic. The main topic of this thread is, how can us digital nomads deal with this issue.

Most students at the combat school are digital nomads who just need a place to stay, and they are taking absolutely no jobs from local Thais. We are not "working" in Thailand. US companies pay us for US projects and deposit into US bank accounts. And then we spend it all in Thailand. No digital nomad has ever gotten into any serious legal trouble in Thailand.

Facts don't care about your feelings.

The chick and her child are not your family - at least in a legal sense (the only sense that matters), not yet!!

Do you really want to sire the offspring of some deadbeat Somchai who squirted his load

into your chick's belly and did a runner?

What about your chick and Somchai? Were they officially married? If so, officially divorced?

Regardless, you are on thin ice -

Elite Visa is the only reliable way to stay long-term, except working legally (employed by company or own-company), at least for you.

ThaiVisa is replete with tales of woe about pussy-whipped idiots like you who jumped head-first into the deep end.

Don't be another casualty! 

48 minutes ago, Falconator said:

Thanks for the suggestions. You guys are picking on my family, but given that this forum is full of trolls, that was totally expected.

But let's stick to the main topic. The main topic of this thread is, how can us digital nomads deal with this issue.

Most students at the combat school are digital nomads who just need a place to stay, and they are taking absolutely no jobs from local Thais. We are not "working" in Thailand. US companies pay us for US projects and deposit into US bank accounts. And then we spend it all in Thailand. No digital nomad has ever gotten into any serious legal trouble in Thailand.

I agree with your assesment in your last paragraph. I don't know much about the combat school but understand it is well connected. Maybe speak with someone higher up at the school or a different visa agent? Failing that, you can absolutely get an ED visa to study language which should keep you here for a while. Sounds like you are panicking prematurely.

23 minutes ago, buick said:

have you considered an ED visa for learning thai language ?

if you get married, you could likely use an agent to obtain your non imm O based on marriage.  that would include converting your visa exempt or tourist visa entry into a 90 day non imm O, then a 12 month extension based on marriage.  some agents can get this done w/o you having the 400,000thb in a thai bank.  try calling some agents in CM.

edit:  does savannakhet still issue multi entry non imm O's based on marriage w/o financial proof ?

I believe the visa is from Phnom Penh and you have to show 100, 000 in the bank (90 days).

17 hours ago, Falconator said:

The previous years, the 1-year ED visa was always done at Vientiane, but this year they changed it to Hanoi.

May I ask you how good your Thai language is? After years it must be perfect. Perhaps the consul wanted to have a conversation in Thai with you and you understand nearly nothing. That was a sign for him that your ed-visa is only for show and you try to expand the law. 

3 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

May I ask you how good your Thai language is? After years it must be perfect. Perhaps the consul wanted to have a conversation in Thai with you and you understand nearly nothing. That was a sign for him that your ed-visa is only for show and you try to expand the law. 

Did you not read the post? He is studying combat NOT Thai language.

"Seriously considering running money through them for a few years to become eligible for citizenship." 

So being a remote computer worker qualifies you for citizenship after a few years?  Methinks it's a bit more involved than that. ...

5 minutes ago, elektrified said:

Did you not read the post? He is studying combat NOT Thai language.

Yes, but I thought they are learning the Thai language too - but they don´t. It seems that it´s a very short education every day: 

10 minutes of warm up exercises and stretching

50 minutes of Self Defense Instruction and practice

10-15 minute break

40 minutes of Hand to Hand Combat training

10 Cool Down

Class finished

https://www.cmlocals.com/combat-class-chiang-mai/

I am wondering that it´s possible to get ed-visa for years for that.

19 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Yes, but I thought they are learning the Thai language too - but they don´t. It seems that it´s a very short education every day: 

10 minutes of warm up exercises and stretching

50 minutes of Self Defense Instruction and practice

10-15 minute break

40 minutes of Hand to Hand Combat training

10 Cool Down

Class finished

https://www.cmlocals.com/combat-class-chiang-mai/

I am wondering that it´s possible to get ed-visa for years for that.

Ive heard rumours that you can get Ed-Visas for that in Vientiane , but sometimes it can be difficult in Hanoi 

Well, as an offshore worker who is required to get several visas for several different countries each year I can tell you it is not just Thailand in the future, or other Asian countries requiring you to return to your home country to obtain visas - happens to me all the time.

Recently to get my work visa for India, I had to return to my home passport country to get the visa.

Same in Singapore for work visas - unless you have a Singapore PR and card, they send you to your home country to get the visa.

So, Asia and Thailand is not the only country that requires this, and I am sure there will be more in the future.

The only exception seems to be if you have a Work Permit or PR card in SIngapore they will let you apply there instead of you going home.

2 hours ago, elektrified said:

I believe the visa is from Phnom Penh and you have to show 100, 000 in the bank (90 days).

here is link to the thai consulate in HCMC.  i can't say for sure that this is the official website but it looks like it is (as i recall, the savannakhet website doesn't have an english option but i think the requirements are the same as HCMC).  you'll see a multi entry option for 200usd and i don't see a financial requirement listed:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/2886/46902-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O"---Accompanying-Th.html

also a link from the TV visa section where it appears financials are not needed (that info is at the end of the thread).

15 hours ago, Falconator said:

But really, I think the best way may be to do the marriage visa option. I just need to think of ways to stay for 1-2 more years while saving up for the 400,000 baht deposit, which won't really be that easy to do if I'm living in a high-cost Western country.

Marry her then aply for a non-o (marriage)Visa in Savanaket ----no financials needed. Also you don't need 400,000 baht in a Thai bank for marriage visa at other places just need to show monly deposits to Thai bank from overseas of 40,000 baht .

Also: You can go to the thai consulate in Savannakhet and apply for a year-long, multi-entry Non-Immigrant Type O visa based on marriage to a thai national with NO proof of financials at all.!!!
You need copies of;
-both thai marriage documents (Kor Ror 2 & 3)
-thai wife's thai i/d card 
-thai wife's house book listing
-data page of your passport[/li][/list]

You sign anything with your name on it and your wife signs anything with her name on it.

Take the original Kor Ror 3 (the one with the rose border) because they wanna see it in person as it has a stamp on it.
Those things along with your passport and 5000 baht 

You'd have to "border-bounce" every 90 days <- go to the border, stamp outta thailand, in&out of another country and back into thailand for another 90 day stamp but you can wring 15 months in country out of that visa. 

Really you can wring 17 months out of it, IF you bounce just before the enter before date on the visa getting the last 90 days entry (taking you to 15 months) and then applying for the "visit family" 60 day extension at the immigration office (which requires NO financials either) for 1900baht.

19 hours ago, elcaro said:

Not needed everywhere. Unless you want to ditch your fiance and child, I suggest to register marriage and get multiple entry non-o. 

If you are serious about your relationship being for the long term, then, as suggested, it looks like marriage and application for multi-entry Non O visa is your best option in terms of cost and  ease of application. Apply at Savannakhet where things are still lax.

18 hours ago, Date Masamune said:

Thought the whole thing about ChiangMai combat school was it is an Army thing thus bulletproof?

It used to be bulletproof. The fact that it no longer is says a lot about what’s happening. I’m not so sure I would even feel comfortable with the Elite right now. 

4 hours ago, Falconator said:

You go to a country that welcomes you and allows you to set up shop. Some are even Thai friendly so take her with you. 

Thailand is an uphill climb and endless changing hoops to jump through. It’s not worth it anymore. Even getting your next visa just buys you a little more time, that’s all. Time that could be used towards residency elsewhere so you don’t have to deal with this baboon nonsense.

20 hours ago, Falconator said:

Has anyone tried Core Combat Chiang Mai for visa options? Are there any other schools out there that offer good ED visas?

Option 4. Repatriate to the US; then apply for a K-1 visa for your fiance (and visa for kid).

4 hours ago, Falconator said:

Digital nomads though taking no jobs also pay zero tax. The PM, not a fan of course, claimed yesterday that only 4million of 70million Thais pay tax, not even 10% of the country. Maybe the government could offer a DN visa but charge a nominal fee per month? 20,000/10,000 baht per month and then that would weed out the YouTubers from the actual DNs.

5 hours ago, Falconator said:

1) Go to a country where being a digital nomad is legally acceptable and you have the right to work.. 
2) Stop being a 'digital nomad' (who isnt very nomadic) and seek tax paying work with the correct work permit and easy visa right of stay. 

I fail to understand why 'I want to break the law.. Suggest a way I can continue to get away with it as easy as possible' deserves respect. The whole premise of being a digital nomad is to keep moving, your simply a tax dodger shacked up with a local woman looking to abuse the short stay visa system. 

8 hours ago, NancyL said:

I wonder if the OP has health insurance?  What happens when he has the inevitable motorcycle wreck and ends up in a Thai hospital?  Who pays the bills.  I think this is the real reason Immigration is cracking down on people like him, not so much because he's working here "illegally".  He's not taking a job from a Thai person and, in fact, is helping to support two Thai people.

You or the Thai government won't be paying for he's hospital bills so what are you so worried about ?

11 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

You are exactly the folks that all these crackdowns are trying to control, and your causing everyone who doesnt try to extend thier stay here by working without work permits all the added pressure from increasing controls and checks against working while in the kingdom. 

What are you on about? Immigration officials many times clarified they are NOT targeting digital nomads. There is NOTHING for Thailand to gain by kicking out people who bring money from overseas into the country. For every digital nomad they throw out several Thai people lose their job.

I think the new head of immigration is flexing his muscles, and it's not looking good for the future outlook of expats and tourists. They'll wake up when tourism is down 80%.

1 hour ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Digital nomads though taking no jobs also pay zero tax. The PM, not a fan of course, claimed yesterday that only 4million of 70million Thais pay tax, not even 10% of the country. Maybe the government could offer a DN visa but charge a nominal fee per month? 20,000/10,000 baht per month and then that would weed out the YouTubers from the actual DNs.

Zero tax, really?

You probably mean income tax.

Do you also suppose that retirees and people on marriage (if they are not working for a Thai company) visas pay this nominal fee of 20/10k per month, because they don't pay income tax?

11 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

What are you on about? Immigration officials many times clarified they are NOT targeting digital nomads. There is NOTHING for Thailand to gain by kicking out people who bring money from overseas into the country. For every digital nomad they throw out several Thai people lose their job.

I think the new head of immigration is flexing his muscles, and it's not looking good for the future outlook of expats and tourists. They'll wake up when tourism is down 80%.

No, immigration does not welcome people “ bringing money into Thailand “ and working without a work permit.

they can not crack down on digital nomads because almost impossible to catch and prove but they are cracking down on everyone with tourist and Ed visa’s who happen to be digital nomads .

not saying it’s right or wrong , just noting what has been happening 

2 minutes ago, BestB said:

You could open a company and then get the non b visa

Invest 2 million baht and hire 4 employees and rent an office and go through all the paperwork and headaches for the "privilege" of pouring money into the economy? It would be significantly more expensive than an Elite visa. I've considered this option and ruled it out quickly. If they don't want my money I'll just move elsewhere.

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

Zero tax, really?

You probably mean income tax.

Do you also suppose that retirees and people on marriage visas pay this nominal fee of 20/10k per month, because they don't pay income tax?

Income tax on 50000 salary is 1800 baht per month. 

His idea is not going to happen but if it did, then that would be roughly the tax to be paid 

1 minute ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Invest 2 million baht and hire 4 employees and rent an office and go through all the paperwork and headaches for the "privilege" of pouring money into the economy? It would be significantly more expensive than an Elite visa. I've considered this option and ruled it out quickly. If they don't want my money I'll just move elsewhere.

That is only if you want WP, and extension of stay, otherwise can just do visa run every 3 months or get multiple entry.

and non b does not require 500 000 up front 

2 minutes ago, BestB said:

No, immigration does not welcome people “ bringing money into Thailand “ and working without a work permit.

they can not crack down on digital nomads because almost impossible to catch and prove but they are cracking down on everyone with tourist and Ed visa’s who happen to be digital nomads .

not saying it’s right or wrong , just noting what has been happening 

Current immigration, yes. This wasn't the case in the past but in the last few years they have decided to screw their own people by discouraging long-term stayers. Short-sighted policy that will kill the economy. They will change their policy in the future when the economy goes to shit and they decide they need our money again, but meanwhile they are screwing with people's lives and destroying families.

Archived