Combat school ED visas rejected in Hanoi

Falconator

20 hours ago, Date Masamune said:

Thought the whole thing about ChiangMai combat school was it is an Army thing thus bulletproof?

It is probably bulletproof in Thailand, because the army boss has connections with immigration.

The problem is that the army boss doesn't have friends in the consulate in Hanoi (yet).

I think the guys in Hanoi want their share, as all government workers want. The brown envelope didn't arrive in time so they demonstrate their power.

Probably they will sort this out in the near future.

3 minutes ago, BestB said:

they can not crack down on digital nomads because almost impossible

I didn't know that raiding co-working spaces is nearly impossible.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

It is probably bulletproof in Thailand, because the army boss has connections with immigration.

The problem is that the army boss doesn't have friends in the consulate in Hanoi (yet).

I think the guys in Hanoi want their share, as all government workers want. The brown envelope didn't arrive in time so they demonstrate their power.

Immigration has raided co-working spaces in the past here in Chiang Mai and apparently have finally wrapped their heads around the concept that foreigners actually pay the owners of the establishment to go to what looks like an office, use their computers and drink coffee since there hasn't been a raid in a while.  All they did was detain those who didn't have a valid visa status.  Immigration doesn't give a rip what the digital nomads are doing on their computers and smartphones.  They could be checking their investment portfolios, updating their FB status, or selling stuff online.  Immigration didn't care.

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Never stepped foot in a co-working space and never will. I really don't understand the concept - why would I get out of bed and put clothes on to go work in an office? The whole reason I chose to start an online business is so I don't have to go to work...

And by the way - they did raid one co-working space a few years ago. Released everyone with no action or charges.

25 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I did not know digital nomads rent spaces, is that something you came up just now? 

24 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

You can do back-to-back Non-B's without getting a WP/extension of stay?? Wouldn't they deny it after the first time?

No, as long as company is up to date and you are a director from my understanding 

The solution to your problem is to go with your fiance to a Thai Amphur and legally register  as married.  Once this is done- travel to either the Savanakhet Laos Thai Consulate or the Thai Consulate in Ho chi Minh Vietnam and apply for a Non O Multiple Entry Visa based on marriage-  You will get a  1 year Visa with 90 day entries- so you make a border run each 90 days.  The Fee is 5,000 Baht- No financials need to be shown.

What you really need to think about is how you are going to support a family when you are Age 35, 45, 55 and then retire at Age 65 with no Social Security from the US Government or any pension.  A Digital Nomad Salary doesn't pay very much compared to working at a lucrative job in the USA and being vested in retirment options. To be honest- there isn't much future in being a digital nomad except being poor when you get old.

You are young enough to make good choices- but you  won't have many options as you age.  Thailand is really not a place for opportunities for  foreigners with minimum incomes but at the end of the day- it is your choice.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

What are you on about? Immigration officials many times clarified they are NOT targeting digital nomads. .

What one individual (who isnt in charge of labour law) says or does is irrelevant. 

The law is clear.. The Labour department are clear, the employment office are clear.. 

Nomads who struggle with this should surely move on to easier markets ?? Isnt that the very point of being a nomad.. Otherwise your purely a digital tax avoider. Stop calling it being a digital nomad when its simply digital non tax paying, resident who refuses to follow local corporate law. 

43 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Current immigration, yes. This wasn't the case in the past but in the last few years they have decided to screw their own people by discouraging long-term stayers. Short-sighted policy that will kill the economy. They will change their policy in the future when the economy goes to shit and they decide they need our money again, but meanwhile they are screwing with people's lives and destroying families.

The law hasnt changed !!! Its the same damn rules.. Its just 1000s of people think its thier moral right to break the law, abuse the visa option in ways thats clearly not the intention, lie on forms and declarations... And then when the host country which is treated this way makes it harder to stay this is the reaction ?? 

A country, trying to get taxes, trying to impose its own laws.. And the reaction is they are screwing with peoples lives, destroying families (if it really was 'your family' you could be married and the problems gone)... 

A country is free to make and enforce its laws.. Your free to choose to obey those laws, or go somewhere that you like the laws.. Your not free to simply break the law because you dont like it, and act morally superior about doing so. 

OP ... 

Working in Thailand, earning money in Thailand...  you say is all okay 

Please,  next time you are in the Immigration Office, please be truthful and tell them that you and all students from your school are in fact staying in Thailand on a Combat ED Visa so that you can work and earn money in Thailand.

Do this and report back to us when they tell you it is all okay and there are no issues. 

If you do not have enough balls to be truthful with the IO,  then your credibility is lost, because you have told us you really think it is okay.  If you cannot be truthful with the IO,  then you obviously don't actually think it is all okay. 

55 minutes ago, BestB said:

That is only if you want WP, and extension of stay, otherwise can just do visa run every 3 months or get multiple entry.

Multiple entries appear to be being phased out.. Certainly you wont get on in asia and now many western counties will only give a single entry with the instruction to extend incountry. 

Clearly, they want people to follow the rules to work.. And are closing the loop holes which people use to do so. 

53 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Its the PR also.. They dont want a huge backlash about 'regular tourists checking work email' splashed over every media outlet.. 

They cant hurt tourism, but clearly they want the resident workers to be legal.. Not that large a stretch is it ?

22 hours ago, Dnyy said:

I'm guessing the majority of ED holders (except university students maybe) are counting as visa runners but as far as I know it's not against any law and not illegal. You are not doing anything wrong. 

Presumably you have to attend class for 20 hours a week otherwise you are breaking the law.

51 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Immigration has raided co-working spaces in the past here in Chiang Mai and apparently have finally wrapped their heads around the concept that foreigners actually pay the owners of the establishment to go to what looks like an office, use their computers and drink coffee since there hasn't been a raid in a while.  All they did was detain those who didn't have a valid visa status.  Immigration doesn't give a rip what the digital nomads are doing on their computers and smartphones.  They could be checking their investment portfolios, updating their FB status, or selling stuff online.  Immigration didn't care.

But immigration dont police labour law.. 

It would be easy to change the law to exclude online work, the fact they havent, and in fact have made it very clear that online work is work (my Mate Nate case, Aussie language teacher deported, every comment by Min of labour or dept of employment) means they understand and are closing the holes. 

Anyway, a 'nomad' wont care, they are by definition moving on, its the digital tax avoiding residents thats at stake.. 

24 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

What you really need to think about is how you are going to support a family when you are Age 35, 45, 55 and then retire at Age 65 with no Social Security from the US Government or any pension.  A Digital Nomad Salary doesn't pay very much compared to working at a lucrative job in the USA and being vested in retirment options. To be honest- there isn't much future in being a digital nomad except being poor when you get old.

I am paying 2 early 20 somethings over a quarter of a million euro a year.. They started doing the process I told them to do less than 2 years ago, I might be able to double it in the next 12 months. 

Explain how theres no money working online to me again please.. 

10 minutes ago, Xavnel said:

OP ... 

Working in Thailand, earning money in Thailand...  you say is all okay 

Please,  next time you are in the Immigration Office, please be truthful and tell them that you and all students from your school are in fact staying in Thailand on a Combat ED Visa so that you can work and earn money in Thailand.

Do this and report back to us when they tell you it is all okay and there are no issues. 

If you do not have enough balls to be truthful with the IO,  then your credibility is lost, because you have told us you really think it is okay.  If you cannot be truthful with the IO,  then you obviously don't actually think it is all okay. 

Better.. go into the labour dept and say it.. 

6 hours ago, donnacha said:

Wow, that seems unnecessarily nasty. Some of you people, what the hell has gone wrong in your lives that you act in this mean-spirited manner?

To the OP, don't panic, just accept that, for the time being, you may have to spend a few weeks out of the country every three months. Find small, cheap cities that you like in countries such as Vietnam, Indonesia, Philippines etc. You might actually find that the time away makes you enjoy your relationship more, and you will certainly get a lot more work done.

Having to travel a bit is not the end of the world, it won't be forever, you will have more options when you have accumulated a bit more money.

Why is his comments particularly nasty. Too many people (men+women) want to say we love each other we don't need a paper to prove it. Really? If legally married he can get a visa to stay in Thailand long term if under 50 , if just shacked up and playing house you can't. First said he adopted kid then said just feels like it. Well if legally adopted he has legal rights and could get a visa to visit his child or get the child a US passport and posibly Social Security benefits if he has enough quarters. Could also take kid out of Thailand but if doesn't adopt ,no can do. If his GF dies say in motorbike accident he has No legal rights to the child and either gran parents or her ex could take custody or child could be put in an orphanage he would have no say.

2 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Digital nomads though taking no jobs also pay zero tax. The PM, not a fan of course, claimed yesterday that only 4million of 70million Thais pay tax, not even 10% of the country. Maybe the government could offer a DN visa but charge a nominal fee per month? 20,000/10,000 baht per month and then that would weed out the YouTubers from the actual DNs.

What an easy fix that would be. Create a new visa for them, tax them but give them tax incentives to start businesses here. 

10 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

I am paying 2 early 20 somethings over a quarter of a million euro a year.. They started doing the process I told them to do less than 2 years ago, I might be able to double it in the next 12 months. 

Old and uneducated people don’t understand the opportunities and income potential of people who work online. 

53 minutes ago, BestB said:

I did not know digital nomads rent spaces, is that something you came up just now? 

As I’ve talked about before here, a group of them rent an entire floor in one of the condo buildings I own. They open the doors in the day and it’s basically an office with many rooms. Everyone knows and no one cares.

21 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

am paying 2 early 20 somethings over a quarter of a million euro a year.. They started doing the process I told them to do less than 2 years ago, I might be able to double it in the next 12 months. 

If you have any Americans working for you- you must be deducting 7'65% each pay period and sending it to the Social Security Department in the Us. In addition- US Tax law indicates you must withhold  amounts to enable the worker to pay their taxes. If your employee is American and you are not doing this you will find that the US Internal Revenue Department has a long reach.

If all of your employees are European- I don't know the law but I would imagine there is some type of tax regime in place as European countries generally require more taxes than the US as Europe prides more welfare for its citizens.

I have no idea what business you are in- but I can be sure that what you are doing is short term gain as opposed to  a person with a Masters degree working in an IT Company in the US or Europe or other business.  Long term employement at high income with all the  retirement benefits is what builds wealth. Short term ideas normmally pay short term gains with no longevity building any wealth.

If your are the exception= good on you but if I was in my 20s or 30s I wouldn't be  depending on pipe dreams to build long term wealth.  I would be working in an established industry at a high salary paying into the retirement scheme so I knew for sure I had a future.  

50 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Multiple entries appear to be being phased out.. Certainly you wont get on in asia and now many western counties will only give a single entry with the instruction to extend incountry. 

Clearly, they want people to follow the rules to work.. And are closing the loop holes which people use to do so. 

Last year in Penang multiple was an option but required few extra papers. Very possible rules have changed but can still do non b visa runs instead of Ed visa runs ????

27 minutes ago, dcnx said:

Old and uneducated people don’t understand the opportunities and income potential of people who work online. 

I am old  but highly educated and understand on line work but what I have found out is that  unless you design Google; Yahoo; Facebook or something similar- the average person is making peanuts.  How many On line millionaires you see in Thailand. I haven't seen or met anyone.  But then again-us old folks don't understand but for come reason I have access to an aTM each month that pays me well and without any wories and that is forever.

25 minutes ago, dcnx said:

As I’ve talked about before here, a group of them rent an entire floor in one of the condo buildings I own. They open the doors in the day and it’s basically an office with many rooms. Everyone knows and no one cares.

They are in rented rooms in a condo playing on computer . Most do not need to rent space to work . Have met hundreds over the years . Some write codes, some do SEO, some do trading , many earn a very decent living, renting office is not required at all

OP.  if you do not have a H2H visa in your passport from last year, Vientiane is super easy now and accept combat visas. I just returned from this exact trip 5 days ago.  Vientiane only accepts them if your passport is free of previous visas from that school.  Hong Kong was ok a year ago also despite previous combat visa.  

You can also lose your passport and get a clean new one from consulate so Vientiane will take you..

9 hours ago, donnacha said:

Wow, that seems unnecessarily nasty. Some of you people, what the hell has gone wrong in your lives that you act in this mean-spirited manner?

To the OP, don't panic, just accept that, for the time being, you may have to spend a few weeks out of the country every three months. Find small, cheap cities that you like in countries such as Vietnam, Indonesia, Philippines etc. You might actually find that the time away makes you enjoy your relationship more, and you will certainly get a lot more work done.

Having to travel a bit is not the end of the world, it won't be forever, you will have more options when you have accumulated a bit more money.

TV trolls tend to be jaded retirees with lots of failed relationships. I laugh at their cranky comments and move on.

The real focus here is about the combat ED visa so that we can potentially offer alternative solutions to others in the same scenario. I mentioned my family situation just as an example case, but everyone seems to be jumping on that, not about the real issue that I'm talking about.

9 hours ago, buick said:

have you considered an ED visa for learning thai language ?

if you get married, you could likely use an agent to obtain your non imm O based on marriage.  that would include converting your visa exempt or tourist visa entry into a 90 day non imm O, then a 12 month extension based on marriage.  some agents can get this done w/o you having the 400,000thb in a thai bank.  try calling some agents in CM.

edit:  does savannakhet still issue multi entry non imm O's based on marriage w/o financial proof ?

Sure. Which ones though? I'm already quite fluent in Thai, so hope they have advanced classes.

5 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Marry her then aply for a non-o (marriage)Visa in Savanaket ----no financials needed. Also you don't need 400,000 baht in a Thai bank for marriage visa at other places just need to show monly deposits to Thai bank from overseas of 40,000 baht .

Also: You can go to the thai consulate in Savannakhet and apply for a year-long, multi-entry Non-Immigrant Type O visa based on marriage to a thai national with NO proof of financials at all.!!!
You need copies of;
-both thai marriage documents (Kor Ror 2 & 3)
-thai wife's thai i/d card 
-thai wife's house book listing
-data page of your passport[/li][/list]

You sign anything with your name on it and your wife signs anything with her name on it.

Take the original Kor Ror 3 (the one with the rose border) because they wanna see it in person as it has a stamp on it.
Those things along with your passport and 5000 baht 

You'd have to "border-bounce" every 90 days <- go to the border, stamp outta thailand, in&out of another country and back into thailand for another 90 day stamp but you can wring 15 months in country out of that visa. 

Really you can wring 17 months out of it, IF you bounce just before the enter before da????te o????n the visa getting the last 90 days entry (taking you to 15 months) and then applying for the "visit family" 60 day extension at the immigration office (which requires NO financials either) for 1900baht.

Sweet deal! Time to "Thai" the knot?

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

Near future means how many weeks or months?

They used to direct all applicants over to Vientiane, but it changed this year and they told applicants to go to Vietnam instead. Now this just happened.

Archived