Combat school ED visas rejected in Hanoi

Falconator

3 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Who, apparently, take up to two years to bank 400,000 baht.

Wake up mate, it's like any job. Some do very well and make millions. Others

(the vast majority) just get by.

Make as much as you can doing this now because the digital nomad will be amongst the first jobs to disappear when AI really takes hold.

As an aside I read in the news that the IRS in the US are now chasing the crypto mob for taxes.

Interesting times indeed.

Easily saving up $1,000 per month and often more than $2,000 per month - not something most Americans can do these days if you know how the average American lives these days. I'm a debt-free mid 20s guy just just starting off, so this is most likely going to be increasing in the near future. These 400k-1 mil baht deposits are easily doable, but we need a bit of time first because it's not a good idea for online entrepeneurs to quickly dump all of their earnings into Thai bank accounts. We have to remain highly liquid in order to deal with unexpected market fluctuations. Many of us employ people around the world.

Living abroad allows us to save up capital in a way that would be more difficult to do so in a Western country.

How many Americans these days can save up this kind of cash? A very small percentage. Living costs are high and Americans are piled up in debt. I'm 100% debt free and saving up lots of money. This is financial paradise for most Thais (and English-teaching farangs in Thailand), who are heavily indebted and stuck in low-wage jobs with long hours.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Falconator said:

I am appalled, and amused, by all the old geezers thinking of digital nomads as failures. That's like saying that everyone working in the restaurant industry is a failure at life because they can't make it into the corporate world. Not everyone is a barista or waiter making minimum wage. Lots of guys out there running fast-food joints are financially far better off than your average corporate drone.

Likewise, tech illiterate people are equating all digital nomads with Bangladeshi freelancers making $1-$5 per hour. You can make $1 per hour or over $200 per hour as a remote worker. The sky is the limit.

1) because digital nomad has become a bullshit term for any gap year Quentin to make it seems like hes not just bumming round asia for a year or two, telling chicks hes bootstrapping his startup.. Digital nomad = backpacker with a smartphone.. of the 100s of claimed DNs I have met, less than 10 were what I would feel actual entrepreneurs creating 'real' companies (eg filing 3 years of corporate accounts) and a few 10s more just rental code moneys with very little in the way of job security constantly fighting off low price developing world workers, and soon to possibly be AI'ed out of the market.. 

2) Someone whose making 200 an hour, should have no issue running 2500 (12.5 hours a month) through iglu, to then get most of that back in a domestic salary, with visas, lawyers, work permit, full red carpet treatment.. Again its back to the successful people have the funds to do this legally and thier time will be valuable enough to not bother with the border hopping nonsense. The only people whom the border hopping visa lies and hours of travel and courses appeal to are the ones who are not the successful ones you claim. Back to the liars and backpackers with a smartphone. 

Just curious but can you detail the following: 
"Western kids who know how to crank cash out of their laptops from anywhere in the world, earning more than 10 times what locals in their host countries are making."

Granted, Thailand's minimum wage is low by Western standards, but can you walk us all through what it is you do, exactly, while you make over US$100 a day in Thailand on your computers? 

I don't mean LivinLOS, who seems to be skimming off a percentage as a broker. I mean the grunt digital nomad. Please explain what you do and how much time you put in for this. Be specific, please. 

"Many of us employ people around the world."

To do what, exactly? 

5 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

Just curious but can you detail the following: 
"Western kids who know how to crank cash out of their laptops from anywhere in the world, earning more than 10 times what locals in their host countries are making."

Granted, Thailand's minimum wage is low by Western standards, but can you walk us all through what it is you do, exactly, while you make over US$100 a day in Thailand on your computers? 

I don't mean LivinLOS, who seems to be skimming off a percentage as a broker. I mean the grunt digital nomad. Please explain what you do and how much time you put in for this. Be specific, please. 

You're pretty much asking "what exactly do people sitting in front of their computers do to make money?" Some Thailand-based Western digital nomads are low-wage earners doing basic customer service and virtual assistant work. Others are entrepeneurs raking in millions. Same with Thai markets. Some stalls are raking in tons of baht, while others are flat-out broke.

Hang out at one of those co-working spaces and talk to people. Many of them can't be specific because they don't want to give out their trade secrets. But you'll run into:

Affiliate marketers, online marketers, AI/VR developers, iOS / Android developers, SEO strategists, coders, dropshippers, crypto guys, salespeople, web developers, graphic designers, artists, lead generators, photographers, online teachers, web content developers, writers, whatever you can think of. Some of them sound like low-paying jobs to the unacquainted, but are actually raking in good money. Others sound like fancy tech titles, but their earnings could be very mediocre.

We're like Thai street market vendors. Anything is possible.

5 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

To do what, exactly? 

If you PM me I would discuss privately but not on open forums. 

Working now in 3 european countries with +60-70 full time contractor staff.. just pitched for huge projects in 2 scandinavian countries.. I want to achieve 50% growth to that in 100 days starting mid august after the euro vacations.  Started this just 3 years ago with 10k capital and current non growth turnover (12 month forward est) now +- 5 mil. 

11 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

To do what, exactly? 

Pretty much the same kinds of jobs that digital nomads are doing.

Think about what you need to get done if you're making a living online.

Programming, web development, data entry, lead generation, sales, and far more.

4 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

What do "affiliated/online marketers" do? 

Most of the "titles" you mention I am acquainted with and the people engaged in these are few and to my knowledge, can't make a living out of it. 

Some make a living out of it, some don't.

Online marketing is very diverse. Here's a good intro.

https://www.oberlo.com/blog/beginners-guide-7-types-internet-marketing

9 hours ago, Traubert said:

Like it or not, this is strikingly similar to the collapse of the Soviet Union, when stability suddenly collapsed and entire societies were suddenly thrown into new capitalist free market environments.

That's where I abandoned you. You aren't old enough to remember anything about it.

I wasn't even born. But we have history books, don't we?

https://theoutline.com/post/7243/the-sharing-economy-is-going-to-innovate-us-into-the-victorian-era

http://theconversation.com/the-gig-economy-is-nothing-new-it-was-standard-practice-in-the-18th-century-81057

Lack of stability = flexibility = enormous new opportunities

Hence causing new types of migrations, like Western Europeans flooding into Eastern Europe to take advantage of newly opened markets, and Eastern Europeans flooding into Western Europe looking for work opportunities.

And hence this thread.

Getting back on track.

I mentioned in my original post that a guy (not me, but one of my classmates) got rejected at Hanoi for the H2H ED visa and was not even allowed to submit his visa application form.

HCMC (Saigon) could be another good choice, or even the US.

I think H2H just has to work it out in Vietnam and make some new friends.

They've been around for quite some time, and they seem determined to stay. I strongly suspect that they are just going find another viable route, but occasionally during tough "transition times," a few guys may end up being casualties as H2H's guinea pigs while they're testing out new consulates.

12 minutes ago, Falconator said:

but occasionally during tough "transition times," a few guys may end up being casualties as H2H's guinea pigs while they're testing out new consulates.

Again, successful people don't do this.. 

Being prepared to do this nonsense, is the clearest sign possible that these 'nomads' are not the successful economic powerhouses that they claim to be.

12 hours ago, Traubert said:

Like it or not, this is strikingly similar to the collapse of the Soviet Union, when stability suddenly collapsed and entire societies were suddenly thrown into new capitalist free market environments

Could you pass me some of that koolaid... heading to the hostel

3 hours ago, Falconator said:

What planet are these cranky old dudes living on? I have no idea how people can be so ignorant of this new technological and economic storm that has completely changed the world. There's a sharp disconnect between cranky old dudes with their young Thai wives living out in remote Isan villages VS. Western kids who know how to crank cash out of their laptops from anywhere in the world, earning more than 10 times what locals in their host countries are making.

My co-workers are based all over the world, from Europe to South Asia and even Africa. The ones living the best lifestyles are often skilled workers in developing countries who can charge the same rates as skilled Westerners, and they are living the dream.

I am appalled, and amused, by all the old geezers thinking of digital nomads as failures. That's like saying that everyone working in the restaurant industry is a failure at life because they can't make it into the corporate world. Not everyone is a barista or waiter making minimum wage. Lots of guys out there running fast-food joints are financially far better off than your average corporate drone.

Likewise, tech illiterate people are equating all digital nomads with Bangladeshi freelancers making $1-$5 per hour. You can make $1 per hour or over $200 per hour as a remote worker. The sky is the limit.

The baby boomers' refrain here is, "Go get a lucrative job in the US and work for a corporation the good old-fashioned way." But some digital nomads in Thailand are educated guys with postgraduate degrees who are working for foreign companies, but they are doing it all remotely.

If still confused, please consult your best friend Google.

In any case, the point is that we're simply remote workers from extremely diverse backgrounds who are looking for ways to live abroad because our currencies can take us further in many parts of the world, or because of family and lifestyle reasons. Most of us are not tax dodgers or broke hippies.

This is exactly what I find intolerant about those who are digital nomads.  When you cannot argue from a point of issue, you turn to  telling us we are  'old' meaning we couldn't posibly understand what it is like to actually have had an idea or two.  Then we are ignorant and that is also because we are old as if ageing and seniority was some type of disease.  Guess what- my young friend- everyone, if lucky ages and you also might get lucky and age.  It sure as hell beats the alternative. 

I find it personally offensive when you and your ilk use the term 'old' as a pejorative. I never said  you were stupid or completely without merit, but I will say this- some of you are not very 'smart' and by that I mean- you appear not capable of understanding that with age comes wisdom and with age a wealth of experience . There is so much experience in Thailand amongst the elderly expat community that I could build a billion dollar enterprise by tapping it.

Your very existence as an American abroad is possible because someone older than you along time ago sacrificed everything to make sure you had a future and you could speak English as a mother tongue.  You are alive because someone  invented antibiotics; or other life saving drugs that easily treat those things that would have killed you 200 years ago.  You and I and eveyone else owes a debt to those who came before us including those who created a computer and a smart phone.

You still never answered the question- what are you going to do at Age 65- when you have no Social Security coming in and no pension to rely on.  How are you going to make it in the next 10 years?  Your savings of 1000 or 2000 dollars per month is peanuts compared to what millions of highly educated people make in the US right now.  In actuallity- I can save $3000  per month right now from my Government pensions and other investments I made eons ago starting when I was your age.  I also have a fully paid home and cars.  On, I know you are just starting out and I am just an ignorant old fart- 

I posted prior that being  in your 20's and 30's , sitting in Thailand  making the wages you are making is a waste of time and I shall stick to it. You are working for other entities who are making the real money.  In the IT World- you are like a McDonald's clerk who is making minimum wage, in comparison to a multi McDonald's franchise owner who is making real money.   

The real key to building wealth is to get a real education; develop a real skill and if possible  get something that is unique.  That guarantees that at age 65- you will not be sitting in a 30 year old condo in Thailand begging the US Government to take care of you or hoping your children will send you a few  bucks every month.

You might also start to think about the future of what technology will do to various types of business that exist now but may not be around in 5 to 10 years and how that will affect what you claim is the future. 

You might think about deveoping some tolerance of criticism and not attack those that criticisze based upon your own insecurities and prejudices. 

By listening- you might actually learn something. Some of us know a thing or two- because we've seen a thing or two

I still wish you well and good luck.

34 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

How can someone with so much knowledge of digital nomad

and changes in the World ...overstay

How can someone who was raised and educated in a western country date and marry a bar girl or farmer with a 6th grade education?

People focus on what they focus on. I give two shits about immigration because I’m focused on other things that actually matter.

4 minutes ago, dcnx said:

How can someone who was raised and educated in a western country date and marry a bar girl or farmer with a 6th grade education?

People focus on what they focus on. I give two shits about immigration because I’m focused on other things that actually matter.

Is your first para from you or are you quoting from another....?

4 hours ago, Trujillo said:

but can you walk us all through what it is you do, exactly, while you make over US$100 a day in Thailand on your computers? 

I’m not a “digital nomad” but I have a few online businesses and am friends with a handful of successful ones.

They are app developers, mobile and desktop game creators, illustrators, programmers, admins, and people who see things that don’t exist and make them exist. 

One of my friends is making around $20,000 USD per DAY from a mobile game. Yes, per day. Every day. And it’s a really stupid game. I don’t get it.

Another one sells courses teaching people how to do various things. I believe they are in the $199 range per course and he buys ads on social media to sell 100s of them every single day. 

Another deals in data collection and sales (no idea the details), but I know he’s rolling in money. His castle of a house has been featured in one of the Thai architecture magazines. But he’s married here so I wouldn’t consider him a “nomad” but he still works online.

Another one creates social media content for several large companies. I don’t know how much he makes but he lives a first class lifestyle.

When you talk about making $100 per day, I’m sure that applies to a lot of them, but if you’re good you’re making a LOT of money. But that’s life, isn’t it? Some people fail, some succeed.

The world has changed and there is opportunity unlike the world has ever seen. I understand why people don’t understand what’s going on, but the consent crapping on these guys is funny. 

26 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

How can anybody with any brains conclude that the quality of a person is a function of traditional education level?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I didn’t say anything about their quality as a human, I said they are poorly educated. Perhaps a lot of you prefer that. To each his own.

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

The real key to building wealth is to get a real education; develop a real skill and if possible  get something that is unique.  That guarantees that at age 65- you will not be sitting in a 30 year old condo in Thailand begging the US Government to take care of you or hoping your children will send you a few  bucks every month.

Just not the case any more.. Skills need constant evolution, entire job categories will be automated and robots will do them, classes of intelligent works will be driven out by AI, stuff like lawyers and doctors already AI is doing better than humans.. 

The old 'get an education, get a job, work for life' is over.. Create a sharp learning mind, develop human skills (sales, negotiation, ability to intuit and influence) and constantly learn to change with the times, those are the skills of the next half century.. I think you could learn more of value from Chris Voss and Jordan Belfort than you get from the average degree. 

You mention that you and your fiance's son are "inseparable". If that is the case, then I truly hope you leave no stone unturned in your quest to find a way to remain together.

A guy can "make" a child in a matter of seconds with very little required of him. Actually being a father to that child on the other hand, is a sacred duty (imho) that requires the best of a man over a long period of time. It's daunting, but if you're willing to do that for this boy, it can be of immeasurable value to him and you. You don't need to be perfect either, just willing to give it your best. 

In the interests of the child, if you do decide to separate, doing so with open communication and ample time for him to prepare and express his feelings about it, is usually far better than just suddenly disappearing from his life.

Fathers are hugely important for kids. I hope you can overcome the bureaucratic hurdles and that it works out for you guys!

6 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Just not the case any more.. Skills need constant evolution, entire job categories will be automated and robots will do them, classes of intelligent works will be driven out by AI, stuff like lawyers and doctors already AI is doing better than humans.. 

The old 'get an education, get a job, work for life' is over.. Create a sharp learning mind, develop human skills (sales, negotiation, ability to intuit and influence) and constantly learn to change with the times, those are the skills of the next half century.. I think you could learn more of value from Chris Voss and Jordan Belfort than you get from the average degree.

You may be right but to me one of the huge issues that will be created is many milions of people will not have a job nor will they have the ability or wherewithall to use technology to their advantage.  

IMO what is driving  the move to complete automation is greed- companies do not want to pay  a person a fair and liveable wage and would gladly replace  everyone with a robot or a computer program  I am not against useful technology- programs that assist humans in  better doing their jobs; Robotics and AI that can search out diseases in the human body; computer programs that instantly bring up case histories for lawyers saving hundreds of hours of time.

As you are probably aware- Amazon in America and other on line distributers of products is putting shopping malls out of business who in turn are laying off thousands of low educated people who now have little or no chance to work. 

The World is headed for a crisis if Governments and the wealthy do not understand that at some point huge numbers of people will need to be trained and re-educated to using technology as a way of making a living.  However, the problem will  soon exist that  more and more people will become unemployed and such huge numbers will cause massive unrest.  There is a saying- the poor will inherit the earth and that is because there will be more poor people in the future unless action is taken now.

My bottom line is that while technology will march on, there are some things that have to be phased in over decades or simply not at all.  Just because a  robot can do it- does not mean we should do it. In addition, we will  always need  ethical advisors; psychologists and psychiatrists as well as teachers and history. 

As far as digital nomads-  or working online- I have no isues with them but not everone  can be a success.  There are more business failures than successes. I just hope they all have a backup plan.

1 hour ago, ilms said:

You mention that you and your fiance's son are "inseparable". If that is the case, then I truly hope you leave no stone unturned in your quest to find a way to remain together.

A guy can "make" a child in a matter of seconds with very little required of him. Actually being a father to that child on the other hand, is a sacred duty (imho) that requires the best of a man over a long period of time. It's daunting, but if you're willing to do that for this boy, it can be of immeasurable value to him and you. You don't need to be perfect either, just willing to give it your best. 

In the interests of the child, if you do decide to separate, doing so with open communication and ample time for him to prepare and express his feelings about it, is usually far better than just suddenly disappearing from his life.

Fathers are hugely important for kids. I hope you can overcome the bureaucratic hurdles and that it works out for you guys!

It's not his kid , so as I mentioned in earlier post unless he marries her and adopts the child he has no legal rights concerning the child and would not be able to see the childif the mother denied him  or if she died  say in accident he would have no rights to see or take care of chlid. Gran parents, her ex could take controlor child be put in orphanage , he would have  no say. It's not his biological heair.

3 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Wow all this do to 16 day ? overstay .... possibly caused by drunkenness at the hostel and lost his way... wow

some good reading fell asleep twice...

He is not on overstay  (read 1st page) Think your commenting on another post. His visa runs out the end of the month.

Falconator

You have had plenty of time now, to go to Immigration and tell them about you and your school's "everyone's a DM", or the Labor Administration.. .

Have you did this yet, or not enough balls? ..... you said that it is all okay and you are all good guys who follow all the rules.... so why the hesitation?

And, I also noticed you ignored the other guy's question... 

Are you having the Combat ED-Visa for actually learning Muay Thai, or just a means to stay and work in Thailand ?

Personally, I am of the opinion and suspicion that if you actually got into a ring...  heh

Archived