BANGKOK
WaveHunter

How much protein do you REALLY need?

I personally think these protein allowances for muscle building are more a result of greed than rational nutrition. Let's have a look in the animal kingdom.  How much does a grass fed horse get in terms of daily nutritional protein?  Does a horse have muscle?  Case closed.

1 hour ago, losworld said:

I personally think these protein allowances for muscle building are more a result of greed than rational nutrition. Let's have a look in the animal kingdom.  How much does a grass fed horse get in terms of daily nutritional protein?  Does a horse have muscle?  Case closed.

but we arent horses..........

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/16/2019 at 2:52 PM, losworld said:

While I agree with you that makers of protein supplement drinks try to make people think they need far more protein than they actually need, you might be surprised to know that a mature horse (1100 pounds) needs 1.4 pounds (635 grams) of protein per day for maintanance.  That's about 1.27 grams/kg. (more than humans)  That's a lot of grass; about 22 pounds!  Of course, that's what most horses spend their time doing...grazing on grass. 

A racing horse (or lactating horse) is usually fed about double that amount of protein, usually supplementing grass with protein-fortified feed, and more often than not in the case of race horses, also supplemented with steroids (Equipoise) to increase protein synthesis.  

Manufactures of protein supplements apparently would like us to believe we have the same protein needs as horses but compelling research (as I pointed out in my first post) shows that this is far from true, and there is an upper limit, beyond which, the body can not use it, and will only convert it to sugar for storage as body fat.  So...too much protein can be just as bad as not enough.

Edited by WaveHunter

On 8/17/2019 at 4:16 PM, WaveHunter said:

While I agree with you that makers of protein supplement drinks try to make people think they need far more protein than they actually need, you might be surprised to know that a mature horse (1100 pounds) needs 1.4 pounds (635 grams) of protein per day for maintanance.  That's about 1.27 grams/kg. (more than humans)  That's a lot of grass; about 22 pounds!  Of course, that's what most horses spend their time doing...grazing on grass. 

A racing horse (or lactating horse) is usually fed about double that amount of protein, usually supplementing grass with protein-fortified feed, and more often than not in the case of race horses, also supplemented with steroids (Equipoise) to increase protein synthesis.  

Manufactures of protein supplements apparently would like us to believe we have the same protein needs as horses but compelling research (as I pointed out in my first post) shows that this is far from true, and there is an upper limit, beyond which, the body can not use it, and will only convert it to sugar for storage as body fat.  So...too much protein can be just as bad as not enough.

more or less agree with you here - i think people believe increase protein to be a panacea for weight loss...

1 minute ago, eezergood said:

more or less agree with you here - i think people believe increase protein to be a panacea for weight loss...

Yeah, that idea is heavily promoted by those with vested interests, when in fact, over consumption just makes fat people fatter.

26 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Yeah, that idea is heavily promoted by those with vested interests, when in fact, over consumption just makes fat people fatter.

no different than those pushing vegan/vegetarian as "healthy"......... once again people are lead to believe that these are intrinsically healthy, the truth can be far far far from healthy

12 minutes ago, eezergood said:

no different than those pushing vegan/vegetarian as "healthy"......... once again people are lead to believe that these are intrinsically healthy, the truth can be far far far from healthy

SO right!  I was Vegan for a while, and I have to say there are many things about eating a plant-based diet that actually do make good sense, but people often take things too far, especially the guru-types you see on YouTube.

I've learned over time that the best approach to good health is simply to pay attention to cues that your body sends you.  It knows far better than your cognitive brain what's good or bad for you.  The trick is just being able to pick up on those cues. 

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

SO right!  I was Vegan for a while, and I have to say there are many things about eating a plant-based diet that actually do make good sense, but people often take things too far, especially the guru-types you see on YouTube.

I've learned over time that the best approach to good health is simply to pay attention to cues that your body sends you.  It knows far better than your cognitive brain what's good or bad for you.  The trick is just being able to pick up on those cues. 

agreed! 

will pm you a few more ideas, as I think we are hijacking this thread! 

4 minutes ago, eezergood said:

agreed! 

will pm you a few more ideas, as I think we are hijacking this thread! 

I think we're pretty much on topic, but sure PM is fine.

Was more to have a general discussion, that may go off topic 🙂

It still worries me the total lack of care some companies & websites have regarding the distribution of information and the cherry picking nature they use to meet their own agenda......