THAI cabin crew reminded not to engage in smuggling

webfact

aircraft-4196684_960_7201.jpg

Thai Airways International has reminded its flight attendants to refrain from engaging in smuggling activities or they face dismissal if caught.

The terse reminder was issued today by Mr. Sutheerat Siriplanont, acting president of flight operations, after an air steward was found attempting to smuggle a large quantity of foreign cigarettes and e-cigarettes, which he allegedly bought at a duty-free shop in Narita airport in Japan, on board flight TG 677 from Narita to Bangkok on July 20th.

Mr. Sutheerat said today that the company had alerted Thai Customs officials at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi international airport to check the luggage of THAI cabin crew on the flight after it had received information that a crew member had bought an unusually large amount of cigarettes and e-cigarettes in Narita airport.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-cabin-crew-reminded-not-to-engage-in-smuggling/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-07-26

They have been doing it for decades and will continue doing it and cigarettes would be the cheapest things they smubbles,

I have always used to wonder, watching those cabin crew on my flight lugging those huge suitcases for what is suppose to be an overnight or two turned around fight for them, why do they they need such big luggage for?Used to, not anymore...

5 minutes ago, mok199 said:

The ''reminder'' followed by the '' stern reminder '' followed by the ''warning '' followed by the ..............The cycle of Thai lawlessness continues...

Public warning by a Thai airways official then "carry on breaking the law" , but don't get caught next time no doubt.

I once "smuggled" a big Hmong hilltribe knife from Loei to BKK.  Cops/soldiers found it in my carry-on bag on the night bus at a check point (martial law at the time in 1979 or so). I had to surrender the "weapon" to the bus stewardess for safekeeping for the rest of the trip.   Apparently you had to check guns and weapons with her when you boarded the bus.  In hindsight, it's funny, but it wasn't in the middle of the night back around 1980. They didn't say anything about my wife's undergarments in our bag.  She didn't admit to knowing me. 555

2 hours ago, mok199 said:

The ''reminder'' followed by the '' stern reminder '' followed by the ''warning '' followed by the ..............The cycle of Thai lawlessness continues...

I think writing them a letter, to tell them not to do it could work. 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

They can just give their swag to one of the many government officials sitting in their free first class seats….and ask him nicely to add it his own pile of ‘customs-exempt’ loot.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Airways International has reminded its flight attendants to refrain from engaging in smuggling activities or they face dismissal if caught.

Dismissal, is the hard punishment? I thought it was against the law to engage in smuggling.

Flight attendants the world over have been at it for decades due to lax security for flight crews.

French perfume on the TG flight back from Paris to Bangkok is a big one.Cosmetics from SthKorea.

QANTAS crews were taking marble beef to Tokyo for years before it was stopped.

I will assume American crews bring in drugs.

Another useless crackdown by Thai management.

very unlikely that duty free shop informed thai customs, it's not their job and is against shops loyalty to customers. It was probably member of his crew.

it's not possible to take into hand luggage that much of duty free.

as to crew big luggage just for 1-2 nights stay, they might be bringing airline's supplies to their foreign offices.

air crew are as much screened by customs as every passenger. I was once stopped by customs in europe, because my luggage looked like cabin crew one. The first question was "are you cabin crew member?"

5 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I once "smuggled" a big Hmong hilltribe knife from Loei to BKK.  Cops/soldiers found it in my carry-on bag on the night bus at a check point (martial law at the time in 1979 or so). I had to surrender the "weapon" to the bus stewardess for safekeeping for the rest of the trip.   Apparently you had to check guns and weapons with her when you boarded the bus.  In hindsight, it's funny, but it wasn't in the middle of the night back around 1980. They didn't say anything about my wife's undergarments in our bag.  She didn't admit to knowing me. 555

I went to a grocery store in northern Brazil back in the 90s and they had a weapons check at the door. It was literally a big box of knives and guns.

As useless as asking Thai executives not to take bribes from suppliers like Rolls Royce.

The Executives of a company like Rolls -Royce commercial aircraft engines would never bribe government officials or foreign Airline management. (facing jail and heavy fines). That is not how it works

4 hours ago, Date Masamune said:

Are Air Crew entitled to a duty free allowance like normal travelers? Some countries prohibit it.

Yes it's the same in Thailand. Thai cabin crew are not entitled to the same allowances as passengers.

Despite all the usual know it all comments in this thread, in fact there is dedicated 24hr customs screening at the THAI crew operations centre at Suvarnabhumi and it is much stricter than regular customs checking of passengers.

On top of that, any criminal smuggling by THAI crew brings instant dismissal, and from time to time it happens. Just like at any airline in the western world.

All the posters here suggesting they know of large scale smuggling by crew are showing their age.

3 hours ago, CeeGee said:

The amazing thing about this story was that the airport were tipped off about this and x rayed all the cabin staff bags under suspicion  and found nothing.

Because the stash had been abandoned by the guilty steward before reaching the customs point. They found it later on the crew bus.

Rolex watches, money laundering, drugs are commonly smuggled by most air crew stewards and stewardesses in various airlines all over the world, every fool is aware of that !!!.....they should be checked more seriously by customs and perhaps it will chill their snooty attitudes pulling their trolley bags in airports.......and stop harassing the common passenger who pays for those snooty flight dummies...

Archived