Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Climate records fall as Europe bakes in heatwave

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

So you're claiming there's going to be colder extremes as well in the UK?

No idea and I  don't care. I don't live there anymore and frankly, I don't care much what happens to the place.  Just passing the time of day over my morning coffee before I get on with the rest of the day.  

Edited by Pilotman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gunderhill said:

And another  missed  point, its  about "being told"  first its  going to be record  cold then record  hot is headlined, neither are actually  records in earths long   history and CO2 is incredibly  low also at the moment.

And temperatures were a lot warmer when CO2 concentrations were higher. Except for the occasional bout of extreme volcanism or collisions with asteroids. So what's your point?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two days of high temperatures, and the media try to parlay this into a global crisis. That shows how desperate the alarmists in the media have become.

 

And along with the high temperatures, we are graciously allowed to listen to that well-known climate expert, Prince Charles, who now informs us we have only 18 months to rescue the planet. Things are obviously getting better, since it's now 10 years since he told us we only had 7 years to keep control.

 

As he told foreign ministers from the Commonwealth this week:

 

"I am firmly of the view that the next 18 months will decide our ability to keep climate change to survivable levels and to restore nature to the equilibrium we need for our survival."

 

This is also the hysterical line taken by activist group Extinction Rebellion, and its publishing arm, the British Broadcasting Corporation. https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-48964736

 

I'm not sure whether this is more or less alarmist than Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's public assertion that "The world is gonna end in 12 years if we don’t address climate change."

 

That other noted climate expert Bob Geldof has suggested 2030 as the date of humanity's extinction.

 

The whole thing is taking on a distinctly comic-book flavor:  “Flash, Flash, I love you, but we only have fourteen hours to save the world!”

 

https://youtu.be/1Oq6vztcjgg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

Two days of high temperatures, and the media try to parlay this into a global crisis. That shows how desperate the alarmists in the media have become.

 

And along with the high temperatures, we are graciously allowed to listen to that well-known climate expert, Prince Charles, who now informs us we have only 18 months to rescue the planet. Things are obviously getting better, since it's now 10 years since he told us we only had 7 years to keep control.

 

As he told foreign ministers from the Commonwealth this week:

 

"I am firmly of the view that the next 18 months will decide our ability to keep climate change to survivable levels and to restore nature to the equilibrium we need for our survival."

 

This is also the hysterical line taken by activist group Extinction Rebellion, and its publishing arm, the British Broadcasting Corporation. https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-48964736

 

I'm not sure whether this is more or less alarmist than Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's public assertion that "The world is gonna end in 12 years if we don’t address climate change."

 

That other noted climate expert Bob Geldof has suggested 2030 as the date of humanity's extinction.

 

The whole thing is taking on a distinctly comic-book flavor:  “Flash, Flash, I love you, but we only have fourteen hours to save the world!”

 

https://youtu.be/1Oq6vztcjgg

Right it's only non climatologists who think the situation is grave. The IPCC thinks everything is going to be just fine.

And did you note that latest massive piece of research that says this period of global warming, unlike the medieval or roman warm period is happening virtually everywhere at once? What are the odds that climatologists predict this forcing event happening because of rising CO2 and it actually comes to pass?

 

Edited by bristolboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Right it's only non-non climatologists who think the situation is grave

What is a non-non climatologist?

 

Someone who is a climatologist, or someone like an Extinction Rebellion activist who doesn't even know enough to be a non-climatologist?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"The speed of global warming has never been as fast as it is today, and is affecting the whole planet at the same time, for the first time in at least two millennia"

This was a time of relative stability in global temperature, apart from the temporary cooling effect of the odd volcano.  With the development of human agriculture, our prosperity and population grew. Following the industrial revolution, rapid warming commenced due to human activity.

 

In statistical terms, rates of warming during all 51-year periods from the 1950s onwards exceed the 99th percentile of reconstructed pre-industrial 51 yr trends. If we look at timescales longer than 20 years, the probability that the largest warming trend occurred after 1850 greatly exceeds the values expected from chance alone. And, for trend lengths over 50 years, that probability swiftly approaches 100%"

The strength of the recent warming is extraordinary. It is yet more evidence of human-induced warming of the planet.

Edited by Opl
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

 

What is a non-non climatologist?

 

Someone who is a climatologist, or someone like an Extinction Rebellion activist who doesn't even know enough to be a non-climatologist?

Victory by typo? Is that all you've got? I'll correct that typo which will leave you with nothing.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Victory by typo? Is that all you've got? I'll correct that typo which will leave you with nothing.

I'm not trying to achieve "victory". That kind of attitude is the preserve of the ideologically possessed.

 

Furthermore, the attempt to force everything into a Win-Lose binary is one of the key reasons why so little has been done in the political sphere to address the challenges posed by changes in the climate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

I'm not trying to achieve "victory". That kind of attitude is the preserve of the ideologically possessed.

 

Furthermore, the attempt to force everything into a Win-Lose binary is one of the key reasons why so little has been done in the political sphere to address the challenges posed by changes in the climate.

Really so little has been done? You don't think the explosive increase in renewables owes something to governments?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

 

What is a non-non climatologist?

 

Someone who is a climatologist, or someone like an Extinction Rebellion activist who doesn't even know enough to be a non-climatologist?

 

6 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

I'm not trying to achieve "victory". That kind of attitude is the preserve of the ideologically possessed.

 

Furthermore, the attempt to force everything into a Win-Lose binary is one of the key reasons why so little has been done in the political sphere to address the challenges posed by changes in the climate.

Oh, please. You treat that obvious typo as though it's what I meant. So what exactly what  were you trying to accomplish in that post?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

You don't think the explosive increase in renewables owes something to governments?

 

Government subsidies, certainly.

 

But the leader of the global climate movement, Greta Thunberg, has spent the last 7 months haranguing the UN, business leaders, the Pope and the UK political class about how little they have done, and how their failure is upsetting her.

 

She says: 

 

"If you still say that we are wasting valuable lesson time, then let me remind you our political leaders have wasted decades through denial and inaction”

 

“Since our leaders are behaving like children, we will have to take the responsibility they should have taken long ago.”

 

“You say you love your children above all else and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...