Big Oud: I'm promoting tourism and friendly relations - and my address reporting app is easy!

webfact

Big Oud: I'm promoting tourism and friendly relations - and my address reporting app is easy!

3pm1.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Acting immigration chief Lt-Gen Sompong "Big Oud" Chingduang addressed a large seminar gathered for training about reporting foreigners at addresses within 24 hours. 

This is the controversial 1979 Article 38. In recent weeks dozens of house owners and hoteliers have been fined across Thailand for failing to report foreigners at their properties within a day. 

Lt-Gen Sompong said he was promoting tourism, wanted cordial relations with foreigners and praised Thai immigration's reporting app as easy and quick to use.

Sompong was speaking to 400 participants from the hotel industry, schools, foundations and businesses at the Police Association on Viphavadee - Rangsit Road in Bangkok. 

S__6742118.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

He said that he was following government policy in promoting tourism, trade and investment. He wanted cordial relations with all foreigners from all countries. 

He stressed that visitors to Thailand were very important and a priority for him and he asked for the cooperation of hoteliers and people offering accommodation to foreigners to understand about foreigners' welfare and the law. 

Then he got serious.

He warned that failure to report within 24 hours means fines of up to 2000 baht for landlords and 2,000 to 10,000 baht for hotel managers. 

He added that it had never been easier to use immigration's improved app to make reports. 

He described the process as "easy, convenient, quick and economical" - it could all be done online without the need to travel. 

Then came a reference to foreigners and crime: 

Keeping tabs on foreigners in Thailand was important for national security and combating international crime, he observed. 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-26

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

Can he explain to me, in a manner that is logical, the purpose of 90 day reporting for people who have been here for YEARS, retired, married with families?

Same same but different LOL

4 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

Can he explain to me, in a manner that is logical, the purpose of 90 day reporting for people who have been here for YEARS, retired, married with families?

To remind you of your place at the bottom of the pecking order and therefore not to get too comfortable...?

9 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

They wouldn't have a job if they didn't have these draconian rules.

That's why they love to go to people's houses re marriage visas.

You can just imagine they make the appointment so they can skive off as much 'work' as possible.

12 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

communication breakdown at the word "logical"

Not one newsman has balls to ask him - no- your app does not work - what are you going to do about it?

At some point if anyone wants change some one has to ask, "where's the clothes or where's the beef or something like cut the bs and start telling the truth."

35 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

Think in reverse.  What are some ways you can try to make someones life more unpleasant?  Certainly water boarding is an option, but 90 day reporting is an excellent place to start.

4d16a702b639d272bb82e755cb211d3e82c9a18cb3f9cfa55a395bc297ffeb0b.jpg

If crime and national security is the big issue here. I would suggest big oud visits a Thai jail. The majority of the inmates are Thai. Surely for the sake of national security Thais should be forced to report their address when they move about. As that is by volume, the largest and most significant criminal element in the country. Which by association with Big Ouds argument makes Thais the biggest threat to national security. 

50 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

My office will not even do it without 5 pages from your passport copied, and signed of course. They seem to enjoy directing people to their 3 baht a copy service!

57 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

It is the same logical reason Thais drive on the wrong side of the street.

I only wish the United States would do the same thing to do if you come here.  Let every Thai visiting the US report their address within 24 hours and see how you like it.  Also, your app is not easy and it doesn't work half the time.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Keeping tabs on foreigners in Thailand was important for national security and combating international crime, he observed. 

"Yeah, I just got out of the joint. Extortion, murder and child rape.  Where can I file my TM30 form?"

58 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

That's why they love to go to people's houses re marriage visas.

You can just imagine they make the appointment so they can skive off as much 'work' as possible.

On top of the 'skipping work' I suspect the 2000 baht they demanded for this privilege to be visited by them ( no reciept of course!) must also play a part.

Just now, NCC1701A said:

"Yeah, I just got out of the joint. Extortion, murder and child rape.  Where can I file my TM30 form?"

You can do it from inside the joint with the easy app which would be helpful for immigration in knowing your whereabouts.

This man is obviously a liar, when he says he is concerned about tourism, and wanted cordial relations with foreigners. If that was the case, he would be treating the ex-pat community with dignity, respect, honor, and just a modicum of grace. And he would be showing some gratitude for all that we bring to the table, including buckets of cash. Quite the opposite is happening. Did he mention ex-pats even once? Yet, he has made multiple declarations already, about how terrible foreigners are, how dangerous they are, and how many criminals are hiding out in Thailand are foreigners. Not to mention the 90 day reporting, the overstays, etc. This man is a menace to society. As racist and xenophobic as the biggest joke was. They keep going to bad to worse. They keep demonizing honest, hard working people, who spend two to five times what the average Thai spends, every month they are here. The nature of this administration seems to be, to pick from the bottom of the barrel, in terms of talent, vision, expertise and competency. Small Oud is no different. 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

He added that it had never been easier to use immigration's improved app to make reports. 

He described the process as "easy, convenient, quick and economical"

So all  the  reports  of  being  unable  to  get  a  password  must  be  blatant  lies  then,  that  and  along  with  another  report from Cheang  Wattana  of 600  + people in  a  queue just  for  TM30,  and  then  people  who  go  in and  out 2-3  times  a week..........yes  its  all  so  easy.

Keep  shooting  yourself  in  the  foot  or  why  not "aim  higher" neck  up would  be  perfect, although  this  is  Thailand and aiming  high is  not exactly  normal...........start  at  the  bottom  and  work  down.

Archived