Big Oud: I'm promoting tourism and friendly relations - and my address reporting app is easy!

webfact

48 minutes ago, Chicken George said:

Not easy to use at all.. No send button.. No idea if its worked. Not in English.. Password has to be changed but does not accept.. 

A lot better would be to only use a TM 30 if you move address. Not just return to your home or regular address if you stay away one or two nights.. This system only is of use to them to check on people who abide by the law. Not the ones who are up to no good.

Wife registered soon after it was announced. Took 2 weeks to get a login and password. We found the App easy and works fine.

English can be selected just under the log in button as you open the App. Below the English selection you also have a line where you can also download the User Guide.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Translation:

We hate having foreigners in our country and don't trust them or really like them one tiny bit, but we desperately need the money they inject into our system, so we must promote tourism and smile at them. However we insist on knowing their whereabouts at all times. It's well known to all Thais that foreigners cause ALL the problems Thailand has, has ever had, and will ever have. 

8 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Can he explain to me, in a manner that is logical, the purpose of 90 day reporting for people who have been here for YEARS, retired, married with families

Maybe Falangs are potentional criminals!?

Can he explain to me, in a manner that is logical, the purpose of 90 day reporting for people who have been here for YEARS, retired, married with families?

I doubt he can

8 hours ago, webfact said:

This is the controversial 1979 Article 38. In recent weeks dozens of house owners and hoteliers have been fined across Thailand for failing to report foreigners at their properties within a day. 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

He warned that failure to report within 24 hours means fines of up to 2000 baht for landlords and 2,000 to 10,000 baht for hotel managers. 

Given Big Oud's statements, which definition is the best fit regarding Immigration's stance toward non-Thais, i.e., Foreigners?

A)  Webster's Dictionary definition of the word Friendly

1 : of, relating to, or befitting a friend: such as

a : showing kindly interest and goodwill friendly neighbors

b : not hostile a friendly merger offer also : involving or coming from actions of one's own forces friendly fire

c : cheerful, comforting the friendly glow of the fire

B) Webster's Dictionary definition of the word Suspicious

1 : tending to arouse suspicion : questionable suspicious characters

2 : disposed to suspect : distrustful suspicious of strangers

3 : expressing or indicative of suspicion a suspicious glance

Can he explain to me, in a manner that is logical, the purpose of 90 day reporting for people who have been here for YEARS, retired, married with families?

Wasn't it brought in when the 12 months permission to stay was introduced? Before that 90 days maximum stay and then had to leave the country or so I'm lead to believe. Could be wrong - often am.

Many of our Thai friends have been travelling to Australia recently for holidays (given the strength of the Thai Baht). The standard tourist visa issued now is 12 months multiple entry, and NO such thing as 90 day reporting or giving Immigration your address or any other details. The tourist can travel freely wherever they want.

I doubt if most countries (apart from those with paranoid governments or something to hide) consider tourists to be be a security risk with basic safeguards in place to stop them entering the country (it is  bit late once they have entered and all the reporting in the world is not going to catch real criminals/national security risks).

I wish Thailand would start bench marking themselves against other tourist countries. They might get a nasty surprise if the government is serious about attracting more travellers.

8 hours ago, sn1per said:

"Keeping tabs on foreigners in Thailand was important for national security and combating international crime, he observed. "

Does this app have a GPS tracker in it?

Highly likely. Most people don't read the permissions they give to apps on their phone. Most have stuff like can read and change data, make calls, use camera etc etc. Go take a look at some of the app permissions you allow!

2 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Wasn't it brought in when the 12 months permission to stay was introduced? Before that 90 days maximum stay and then had to leave the country or so I'm lead to believe. Could be wrong - often am.

Think he asked WHY not WHEN! ???? 

communication breakdown at the word "logical"
I'm sorry, I'm Thai. Can you please explain to me what logical means. Thank you very much for your reply.[emoji1782]

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

3 hours ago, PhonThong said:

Why would a tourist need to have an app to let the government know where they are? If i'm on vacation, the last thing I want to do is deal with bureaucracy. 

And you most likely will never need to in reality if you are a tourist.

17 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Obviously you haven't been to the restricted zone in Myanmar.

Yes, within the restricted zones you'll be closely monitored.  But outside of those zones, (which means most of the country), you are free to travel without restriction.  You do not have to do 90 day reports.  When staying in a hotel, that hotel takes care to report your details to the authorities (just like in Thailand), but you do not have to do a TM30 when you return to your usual address in Myanmar.

When I worked in Myanmar (up to late last year), all I had to do was to get a new 1-year visa each year, not even having to do a visa run.  That was it, easy!

Immigration eservices

3 hours ago, marktdag said:

Can somebody tell me what is the name of this app?

I believe it is Section 38, go to Playstore and search for it. I am not sure yet as I am just downloading and sitting on a bad line (hey I am in Thailand).

I have now downloaded the app , and it looks as it is the right one, Section 38, But I have no clue how to fill it in because our adress have, in our place, several places, signs that not are accepted of the form. My wife have tried in thai with the same result and in neither language there is ny explanation. So what he means by working fine?

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Stopping foreigners - only foreigners - on the street and demanding to see their papers (passport) isn't a bad start, and demanding foreigners - only foreigners - get out of a taxi for a search, as many have reported in some areas of Bangkok, is also making a good start in that direction. Tourists must love that. Draconian police force in a military-controlled country. What's not to like?

And for how long has that been happening- for many, many years -well before this mob took power. Gee Thaksin was shooting his own people back then while farangs got piss tested.

11 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Yes, within the restricted zones you'll be closely monitored.  But outside of those zones, (which means most of the country), you are free to travel without restriction.  You do not have to do 90 day reports.  When staying in a hotel, that hotel takes care to report your details to the authorities (just like in Thailand), but you do not have to do a TM30 when you return to your usual address in Myanmar.

When I worked in Myanmar (up to late last year), all I had to do was to get a new 1-year visa each year, not even having to do a visa run.  That was it, easy!

Actually in the restricted zones there is very little to no monitoring. The average Burmese is happy to see a white face and the cops have no interest. Travel documents required along with letter of invitation to enter the restricted zone...after that not much, maybe once a year immigration turns up and checks permission to stay. At least where I am. Passport details are taken every time I arrive but apart form that not much else. Been here happily close to five years on and off.

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I think you have it the wrong way around, you only have to report if you are here for three months or more presumably so genuine longer term tourists don’t have to report.

The people who leave every three months the traditional “ border runners” are probably doing it because they don’t have a “ long term visa or permission to stay”

PS I’m not justifying the reporting I cannot see the point especially when you have lived at the same address for years.

I'm not a tourist and have lived here for 25 years so know the rules. Even a 'long-term visa' requires you to get out of the country every 90 days, or travel perhaps hundred of kilometres to an immigration office to ask for permission to stay a couple of months more- at a price of course. I also can't see the point of providing them with the same information, year after year after year. But trying to find logic or reason here is like pissing in the wind. I have nothing against them stopping long-term tourists from getting the correct visa/permission to stay.

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

One does not always have to enter another country as it says one must leave Thailand there is no mention of having to enter another country that it seems is one of those discretionary things,it's up to the processing officer. 

Try it, and see what happens. I'd like to cross the road at the  Mukdahan border and re-enter and save $35 and a page of my passport by not going across to Laos, but I'd probably be hassled over it and refused entry. So, I have to play their game, enter Laos, have a beer at a small cafe and come back 30 minutes later. It's beyond pathetic and completely pointless.

There was a report on here recently that someone flew to Singapore to meet someone in the transit area and returned to Thailand having not entered another country. He was taken aside and given a grilling. So even flying rather than doing a land border crossing pisses them off. There may be no mention of having to enter another country, but that doesn't mean there isn't an unofficial rule that no-one tells you. If you demand to see a rule that says you have to enter another country, see how far you get. You do whatever the IO says you do, because you have rights at all.

9 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

He already did by mentioning foreigners as tourists.   High spending tourists are welcome but residents are quite a different matter.  As a resident you know how to budget and where to buy things at fair prices - not at all what they are looking for.  This is not a cynical comment rather statement of reality.

oud meaning
/uːd/
noun
noun: oud; plural noun: ouds
  1. a form of lute or mandolin played principally in Arab countries.  (is this guy really a Thai ?) I really hope that he get kicked hard in his big camel arse when the tourism business collapse. 

8 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

I only wish the United States would do the same thing to do if you come here.  Let every Thai visiting the US report their address within 24 hours and see how you like it.  Also, your app is not easy and it doesn't work half the time.

Ye see, you're gonna run into problems cause in the US, they use common sense. ( well most of the time) ????

So he is promoting tourism, trade & investment? Did I miss something or is he now in charge of all those portfolios?
Another comedian so full of himself that he has to get himself into the news at every possible opportunity! Why does he not do his job and arrest those foreign criminals who are hiding in Thailand in plain sight ? Oh I forgot they are paying off all those corrupt scoundrels who are supposed to uphold the law!
Pathetic hypocrite. Can he name a single foreigner who has ever been caught here who was a threat to “national security” - which seems to be the stupid excuse for everything here - including justifying obsolete jobs wasting tax payers money.
A threat to National security are the thousands and thousands who die every year on the streets from traffic accidents but for surely not somebody overstaying his visa.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I agree with all the other comments, I'd just add paranoia and xenophobia to the list.

The persecution of long time workers that have retired and others who want a quiet life in the sun in their later years is definitely driven by both, plus the ingrained greed to squeeze every last baht out of Johnny farang before they are pushed out.

TAT should advertise holidays to send your money on a one way trip, and not come yourself...

Archived