Video: Foreigner robbed of 800,000 baht on his first day back in Isaan village

webfact

Video: Foreigner robbed of 800,000 baht on his first day back in Isaan village

6pm1.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A 32 year old man from the United States had a terrible first day back in his Thai wife's village when thieves made off with cash and valuables worth 800,000 baht. 

Craig Bennett (name transliterated from Thai and possibly incorrect) and his wife Sumruay, 36, had arrived back in Thailand from the States and had headed immediately for the village of Thung Wang in Sateuk district of Buriram in Thailand's North East. 

They were staying at Sumruay's mother's house and were preparing to have a house blessing ceremony at a property built for the family.

But at 2 am they were disturbed by noises and saw a thin man flee with valuables kept in a bag. He jumped on a motorcycle with an accomplice and escaped into the night. 

6pm2.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

It was the couple's first night back. 

The thief got $10,000 US, an ATM card, Thai money and 5 baht weight of gold. They even took Mr Bennett's passport. It was all valued at 800,000 baht. 

Sumruay went on TV to say to say she wouldn't press charges if they got everything back. 

YouTube posters were in no doubt that this was an inside job. Many sympathized with the foreigner.

Police said it should be a simple matter to arrest those responsible. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-26

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bloody idiot having money like that around even on his first night.

Sad to say farangs are a target in Issan villages.

Our dog has been poisoned 4 times in the last few months, the last time only 2 days ago.

We saved her again, baking soda and water forced down her throat using a large syringe.

And the wife's big mouth bragging about all the money and gold her ATM had with him helped in the theft.  My wife has no idea how much cash or what's in the bank.  She can only guess.  She sees I carry only a thousand baht at a time.  Maybe a little more when traveling. 

11 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Our dog has been poisoned 4 times in the last few months, the last time only 2 days ago.

We saved her again, baking soda and water forced down her throat using a large syringe.

You got that right being targets in Issan. Scandalous people sometimes, and I agree it was an inside job from someone from perhaps like a cousin who new they brought money like this every time they came. Dog poisoned again? Yikes. What do you think the premise behind this is? Way too many times already.. 

18 minutes ago, keith101 said:

That's why I have a large safe

I got burgled 13 years ago. They poisoned my 2 Cocker Spaniels and removed the safe. Nothing in it other than land papers. Was found 70Km away in a field with the back prised open. Papers were left on scene so no loss really other than me dogs.

11 minutes ago, BTB1958 said:

And the wife's big mouth bragging about all the money and gold her ATM had with him helped in the theft.  My wife has no idea how much cash or what's in the bank.  She can only guess.  She sees I carry only a thousand baht at a time.  Maybe a little more when traveling. 

1. Were you there?

2. Thanx for letting us know you have zero trust in your own wife.

Me think the house and the foreigner were targeted robbery seeing the guy coming back from abroad semising that there's must be gold in them there house where rich foreigner is, unfortunately, these things do happen in this country and often...

Fix the title of the topic.   It wasn't a robbery, it was a burglary and theft.

Robbery:

The taking of money or goods in the possession of another, from his or her person or immediate presence, by force or intimidation.

So sad, but I won't bring that much valuables and cash even to my own house in the village. If I come in late into the province knowing i Might not make it to the bank before they close. I will get a hotel room in the city and rest where I know my valuables are safe and the very next morning I'm going to the closest bank to create an account and save that money before going into a remote area where security is low. With that much cash and a USA passport, no bank will even blink before giving you an account bro. What was all the rush back home for? if you've been out of the country for a long time then one more night before going to the mom's home won't make a difference. We have to be careful out here. It ain't as sweet as it is advertised. 

So just left the valuables laying on the floor !, they could at least hid

it in the cupboard  behind them,some people are just too naive or stupid 

the police just need to look for a thin man and his mate getting pissed

everynight in the locality.

regards worgeordie

54 minutes ago, webfact said:

and had headed immediately for the village

Visit Bank first would have been a good idea (even a Bangkok Bank inside the airport!

Doubt they even have a currency exchange in a village of 6,000 people. 

Likely have an ATM machine nearby though (could keep that card in his sock - 55)

30 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I got burgled 13 years ago. They poisoned my 2 Cocker Spaniels and removed the safe. Nothing in it other than land papers. Was found 70Km away in a field with the back prised open. Papers were left on scene so no loss really other than me dogs.

sorry about the dogs

32 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

They would have to use an oxy to open mine .

28 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

You got that right being targets in Issan. Scandalous people sometimes, and I agree it was an inside job from someone from perhaps like a cousin who new they brought money like this every time they came. Dog poisoned again? Yikes. What do you think the premise behind this is? Way too many times already.. 

Sadly we are targets here,  yes somebody from within her family are the main suspects.

Regarding our dog, monday night around 2.30 our dog kicks off, i look out ( i can see her from my bed)

Her attention is on the gate, i opened the monitor but could not see anyone/ thing.

My wife switches on the spot lights, now if anybody is around that should scare them off.

Wednesday morning wife lets the dog off the chain, 5 minutes later she is back foaming at the mouth.

Baking soda/ water forced down the dogs throat, she brings it all up, 2 hours later she is back to normal.

Hasn't this bloke ever heard of online money transfers,could've transferred to his bank account,if he has one,failing that,do a western union transfer to himself,who in their right mind carries that amount of cash around.

33 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

1. Were you there?

2. Thanx for letting us know you have zero trust in your own wife.

She does not look like she would be the mastermind.

Looks very ordinary if you know what I mean?

I would have taken it all to my bedroom, no way would I leave it downstairs...even in my OWN HOUSE

3 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

I would have taken it all to my bedroom, no way would I leave it downstairs...even in my OWN HOUSE

Yes, that´s what I don´t understand. If there is no safe, why he didn´t take the bag in the bedroom where he slept? 

I have a small but hidden safe in my house where I put all the important documents and the cash when I am back from my Germany trip.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

I don't follow about the baking soda, I'm not being obtuse at all.

Do you mean someone gave her baking soda and water, forced down her throat using a large syringe?

Or is that what you did to counteract the effects of poison someone else gave her?

Archived