Video: Foreigner robbed of 800,000 baht on his first day back in Isaan village

webfact

1 minute ago, Crash999 said:

Set up a security camera. It’s almost certainly the same person, probably a neighbor. 

Clearly you are not up to date with  Thai visa, as it is a well known fact we have 4 security cameras covering all 4 sides of the house.

I do think you are correct, i am sure it is the same person, wife and a few others think they know who it is, but catching him is another matter.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5 baht weight of gold??

Please inform me what this means?? 

Gold only worth 5 baht??

The USD is worth about 309,000TBH where does the 800,000 amount come in??

ATM card worth nought, without PIN

3 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

5 baht weight of gold??

Please inform me what this means?? 

Gold only worth 5 baht??

The USD is worth about 309,000TBH where does the 800,000 amount come in??

ATM card worth nought, without PIN

1 baht is 15g of gold

Why on earth does anybody actually live in Isaan ? 

You might say - those of us who live on the dark side of Pattaya we are endlessly robbed , threatened by Thai, Russian , Brit ( a bit pathetic these days , Eastern European mafia etc. 

No - surrounded by tapioca fields - I hear nothing but the birds and my scary tookays - nobody gets through security without surrendering ID .

Of course it’s much more fun- watching the rice grow.

A safe that even even six or more guys cannot lift- not expensive .

inside job - perhaps. 

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Sadly we are targets here,  yes somebody from within her family are the main suspects.

Regarding our dog, monday night around 2.30 our dog kicks off, i look out ( i can see her from my bed)

Her attention is on the gate, i opened the monitor but could not see anyone/ thing.

My wife switches on the spot lights, now if anybody is around that should scare them off.

Wednesday morning wife lets the dog off the chain, 5 minutes later she is back foaming at the mouth.

Baking soda/ water forced down the dogs throat, she brings it all up, 2 hours later she is back to normal.

Maybe that will teach you, to keep your dog quiet in the night??

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:

5 baht weight of gold??

a golden baht is 15.244 grams in gross form and 15.16 grams in worked.

The gold sold in Thailand is known worldwide for its degree of purity at 96.5%, 23 carats, which gives it a very pronounced yellow appearance. The remaining three and a half percent is made up of metals such as silver or bronze.

the price is usually displayed in shops that sell gold;
at this moment it must be around 20,000 baht gold baht;
so 5 baht of gold = about 100,000 baht = about 3230 US dollars

3 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

Why on earth does anybody actually live in Isaan ? 

You might say - those of us who live on the dark side of Pattaya we are endlessly robbed , threatened by Thai, Russian , Brit ( a bit pathetic these days , Eastern European mafia etc. 

No - surrounded by tapioca fields - I hear nothing but the birds and my scary tookays - nobody gets through security without surrendering ID .

Of course it’s much more fun- watching the rice grow.

A safe that even even six or more guys cannot lift- not expensive .

inside job - perhaps. 

Does a safe which cannot be lifted give would-be-robbers the idea you're loaded, therefore perhaps leading to torture to get the combination from the occupant?

Years ago I had a cash of 4 million baht hidden in my luggage for two weeks in Nong  Khai before buying a condo in Pattaya . Never told my GF about the money hidden .. Yeah , I was very lucky and stupid . Thinking back , I wouldn’t do it again . That GF was long gone ( not in relationship ) .   I think the 800,000 bt stolen are family related robbery. 

14 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

a golden baht is 15.244 grams in gross form and 15.16 grams in worked.

The gold sold in Thailand is known worldwide for its degree of purity at 96.5%, 23 carats, which gives it a very pronounced yellow appearance. The remaining three and a half percent is made up of metals such as silver or bronze.

the price is usually displayed in shops that sell gold;
at this moment it must be around 20,000 baht gold baht;
 so 5 baht of gold = about 100,000 baht = about 3230 US dollars

and thus ( 10.000 USD  + 5 x 700 USD )  x 30 = 13.500 x 30 = 405.000  
Oops, my mistake, calculate without my mobile phone and commission, = 800.000 B.

Brilliant !

Its’ common sense that if you arrive anywhere with a large amount of money/ valuables, to put them in a safe place. It’s also obvious that the people who know you’ve just arrived, could guess that you might have a lot of money with you.Even the family could have innocently bragged about a rich son-in-law law !

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Police said it should be a simple matter to arrest those responsible. 

Police said it should be a simple matter to arrest those responsible ... but exceedingly difficult to actually find them! :cheesy: :clap2:

Just now, sahibji said:

sounds a little or rather very strange to have so much CASH sitting in the house. curious how the thieves got wind of potential windfall. looks like there is more than meets the eye.

Just now, sahibji said:

sounds a little or rather very strange to have so much CASH sitting in the house. curious how the thieves got wind of potential windfall. looks like there is more than meets the eye.

Not really that large an amount of cash to carry entering a country from abroad.

Use your cards as well, search for the best money exchanger before cards

Archived