Jump to content
BANGKOK 19 August 2019 09:39
TerryClarke

Koh Lanta – beaches full of trash

Recommended Posts

I've visited Koh Lanta beaches recently and I was shocked. The beaches were full of trash. I've realized that the plastic "deal" is real. In Asia, there is a lot of plastic waste, almost nobody sorts out the trash and often, there are no bins. Compared to Europe, it is really bad. I think one of the ways how to solve the "trash" problem is to change the mentality of people, but they don't care. What do you think about this. Can the problem be solved? And how?

10.jpg

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a great improvement to me. I went there some 5 years ago and it was a lot worse then. As luck would have it we moved on after the first day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Looks like a great improvement to me. I went there some 5 years ago and it was a lot worse then. As luck would have it we moved on after the first day. 

Improvement? Oh wow... What can be worse than this? And I don't talk about the smell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sadly things are pretty bad everywhere where rubbish flows into waterways and klongs.

You think that looks bad, try visiting India, canals are just clogged with floating trash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

On 7/27/2019 at 8:57 AM, steven100 said:

sadly things are pretty bad everywhere where rubbish flows into waterways and klongs.

You think that looks bad, try visiting India, canals are just clogged with floating trash.

Yes, it was really shocking for me when I saw pictures of my friends trip to India. Even worse than these beaches.

 

On 7/27/2019 at 8:58 AM, Pilotman said:

I hate to be the prophet of doom, but nothing can or will be done. The Thai people don't care enough about their environment and are not educated enough as a Nation to band together to force change. The government is incompetent, too concentrated on feathering their own nests and powerless to deal with the problem.  The World wide issue is not being taken seriously enough and respective governments are doing too little and are too Nationalistic to take a World view. "The World is doomed" is an old joke.  Actually, the World, the Earth, will do fine after humankind has managed to destroy itself with short sightedness, selfishness and greed.   

Yes, education is really important and underestimated. With the correct mindset, everything is achievable.

On 7/27/2019 at 9:01 AM, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

The whole country is full of trash. Thailand is one of the 5 biggest plastic polluters in the world!

 

Well this image speaks for itself...

 

Edited by TerryClarke
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Depends on the tide, I guess.

This scenic pic was taken in Kawthaung on a visa run out of Ranong.

 

 

image.jpeg

Edited by bendejo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We also left Ko Lanta after just 1 day last year in August. Absolutely filfthy beaches during the low season. Thailands tourism image is at stake, as I have seen the plastic waste piling up almost everywhere in the country. Waste disposal is not a priority in Thailand. So sad to see this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I visited Patong a couple of weeks ago. I was afraid to go into the sea. It looked like a plastic soup. 

 

I will never visit Patong again.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, this shit is also on empty islands, its mostly all from the oceans. The whole ocean is full with trash... cant blame thais except for beeing too lazy to clean it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2019 at 10:18 AM, bendejo said:

Depends on the tide, I guess.

This scenic pic was taken in Kawthaung on a visa run out of Ranong.

 

 

image.jpeg

That is really disgusting. 😞

On 8/1/2019 at 7:40 PM, SoilSpoil said:

We also left Ko Lanta after just 1 day last year in August. Absolutely filfthy beaches during the low season. Thailands tourism image is at stake, as I have seen the plastic waste piling up almost everywhere in the country. Waste disposal is not a priority in Thailand. So sad to see this.

It seems that the tourism won't last for so long.

On 8/1/2019 at 8:15 PM, dimitriv said:

I visited Patong a couple of weeks ago. I was afraid to go into the sea. It looked like a plastic soup. 

 

I will never visit Patong again.

 

 

Feel free to share some pictures with us.

On 8/1/2019 at 8:19 PM, ThomasThBKK said:

To be fair, this shit is also on empty islands, its mostly all from the oceans. The whole ocean is full with trash... cant blame thais except for beeing too lazy to clean it up.

Yes, we can't but if they want to have some visitors, they have no other choice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...