BANGKOK
TerryClarke

Koh Lanta – beaches full of trash

On 7/26/2019 at 4:17 PM, TerryClarke said:

What do you think about this. Can the problem be solved? And how?

Looking at the photo in the OP, IMO it's during the monsoon.

All the garbage dumped at sea washes up in the monsoon. Normally it's cleaned up for high season. If it's low season they won't won't bother.

Can the problem be solved- NO.

• Like 1

Happens every low season. The staff told me they only clean up for high season. Low season tourism drops 90% so they don't bother.

How can you blame Thais for this given there is a big expat community there?

If the expats with business's there grouped together I am sure they could afford to front a team of rubbish collectors to maintain the area. Thais would see this initiative and likely get involved. 

2 swedish schools on the island?

At least 150 farang owned business?

Maybe 700 farang living there?

Tiny island. Not a difficult task.

On 7/23/2020 at 8:19 PM, Jack Hna said:

If the expats with business's there grouped together I am sure they could afford to front a team of rubbish collectors to maintain the area. Thais would see this initiative and likely get involved. 

It would have to be a regular thing and most didn't move to LOS to clean up the beach. Every storm will bring more.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2019 at 1:49 PM, TerryClarke said:

Improvement? Oh wow... What can be worse than this? And I don't talk about the smell.

That's no where as bad as it can get. There is a lot of industrial waste floating around in the sea.

On 7/26/2019 at 11:17 AM, TerryClarke said:

In Asia, there is a lot of plastic waste, almost nobody sorts out the trash

I't not required, the refuse collectors pick and sort through everything back at the depot.

On 7/23/2020 at 3:19 PM, Jack Hna said:

Koh Lanta Yai is over 30 km long, in area is more than 80 sq. kms and has 9 major beaches. It is one of the larger Islands in Thailand.  

• Like 1

On 9/2/2019 at 10:54 PM, Bassosa said:
On 8/1/2019 at 7:19 PM, ThomasThBKK said:

To be fair, this <deleted> is also on empty islands, its mostly all from the oceans. The whole ocean is full with trash... cant blame thais except for beeing too lazy to clean it up.

Completely untrue. How do you even come up with this? Look at the pics, that plastic was on land first and got swept into the see, usually via klongs/rain etc. It's self-inflicted and they couldn't care less.

Your statement is untrue.

The most plastic polluted island in the world is uninhabited and extremely remote (Henderson Island Pitcairn Group).  The plastics in the oceans mainly come from the major polluters - China and Indonesia. Of course Thailand is also one of the biggest and far too much debris is thrown in canals, but tidal flotsam comes from around the planet..

Plastics found on beaches in Australia can be traced to fishing boats and are often branded in Indonesia. 

• Like 1