Thai marriage affecting pension

DUNROAMIN

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

Incorrect. You have to get a clearance from the Aussie embassy to be able to get married, but there is no registration of the marriage at the embassy.

Correct, there is no requirement to notify or register your marriage with anyone.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Hi, you say that you don't loose half of your pension if married to a Thai wife, however, you also say that you would not tell Centrelink of your marital status. Does this mean you have not told Centrelink that you are married and you are receiving a single rate pension.???

Cheers

I travel back to Oz a lot and my wife has Permanent Residence so they know I'm married and that's why I don't receive a full pension. I would not tell Centrelink if I didn't have to but a bit hard to hide when she is a Permanent Resident.

3 hours ago, JWRC said:

Are you legally married? or was it just a religious ceremony, if it was done legally you would have had to register with the Australian Embassy. if this is the case you are in the system.

Legally married and marriage does not have to be registered with Australian Embassy.

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

Incorrect. You have to get a clearance from the Aussie embassy to be able to get married, but there is no registration of the marriage at the embassy.

Yes you are correct, I did not register my marriage, had to get my divorce papers notified and cleared by the Embassy so that I could proceed with the legal marriage here in Thailand.

4 hours ago, JWRC said:

Are you legally married? or was it just a religious ceremony, if it was done legally you would have had to register with the Australian Embassy. if this is the case you are in the system.

Yes I am legally married, however, I don't believe that I would be in the Australian system, as my visit to the Embassy was purely to get my divorce papers notified and cleared for my marriage here in Thailand. I will be in the Thailand system now.

1 hour ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Yes I am legally married, however, I don't believe that I would be in the Australian system, as my visit to the Embassy was purely to get my divorce papers notified and cleared for my marriage here in Thailand. I will be in the Thailand system now.

When your divorce papers were notarised did you use your passport as identification?

If so you can probably assume that the information was recorded at the Embassy, and available to Borderforce (Immigration) and therefore accessible to Centrelink

7 hours ago, JWRC said:

Giddyup

I did not say the marriage had to be registered at the Embassy, you didn't read the post correctly

if it was done legally you would have had to register with the Australian Embassy. if this is the case you are in the system.

I'm reading as it says.

One of the things you may want to consider, is that if you have a debt to a Oz commonwealth government department (child support, Centrelink ) and leaving to travel outside Australia you are likely to be stopped at passport control, and unless the debt is paid, you are refused to right to leave Australia

3 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

When your divorce papers were notarised did you use your passport as identification?

If so you can probably assume that the information was recorded at the Embassy, and available to Borderforce (Immigration) and therefore accessible to Centrelink

OK, point taken, I think after all the info I have looked at I will bite the bullet and notify them of my marriage, that way I can sleep easy and not have to worry about travelling back to OZ.

On 7/28/2019 at 5:48 PM, RJRS1301 said:

I guess also we have more people in the world now over the age of 65 years than ever before.

Men now living longer than before, when pensions came in, it was envisaged that most would die within 10 years of retirement, now they are living about 15-20 years after retirement. 

More needing financial support for longer, so have to look at rationalising costs of pension payments

Also the tax base is dropping as people spend more time in education, work on contracts, more time between work contracts, so less taxes.

all very correct-thats why many countries are raising the pension eligibility age...

take note-young people--you need to prepare well for your retirement years..

i retired at 62.5yrs, expect to live 30+yrs past that age.

have created very ample passive income...

the nz super/pension is not big, but they will NOT pay me the single person rate in thailand.i live by myself, but they claim-they cant verify that---

im not that worried-i still get slightly more because it is 'non taxed; in thailand...

the nz super is--not asset tested....

16 hours ago, reargunnerph3 said:

You don't lose half. I'm married to a  Thai and on a pension and I receive A$827.30 a fortnight which includes rent assistance the full single pension is A$926.20 plus rental assistance. Would I tell Centrelink I was married? NO. Is there any reason to tell Centrelink? NO. Will they find out? Probably not. If they did you would tell them you are separated and no longer in a relationship.

Obviously you are not in Jomtien as your avatar suggests. There is no rental assistance overseas. You are a fraud my friend. A fraud. Stop posting nonsense.

15 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Or an aussie taxpayer.

As Kerry Packer once famously said, anyone who doesn't minimize their taxes needs their head read.

Negative gearing and franking credits are tax rorts making the rich even richer, and robbing the young of affordable housing. The majority of taxpayers get very little benefit from either.

According to you, it's OK to minimize your tax. Fine. At the same time, you seem to be saying I should get a pension in Thailand commensurate with welfare here, and forgo the pension to which I have contributed with taxes all my working life, spanning 45 years. I shouldn't benefit from being smart enough to take advantage of the differential between the cost of living in Thailand and Australia. I should go and live under a bridge in Australia instead, to maximize my contribution to the Australian economy.

What I am doing is legal, just as minimizing tax through a rort is legal. If you can explain to me why I'm wrong without getting into complete hypocrisy, I'm all ears.

On 7/28/2019 at 4:11 PM, mosan said:

You might want to check on that with the SSA.  Me and my Thai wife were physically in a Social Security office in the USA in January of this year as I was getting my Medicare Card.  My wife will get my Social Security payment when I die.  Now granted, my wife has lived in the US, but I don't remember that being a requirement--that said, it wouldn't hurt to follow up...I will take another look-see myself.

Maybe this will help? " In 1983 the Social Security Act was amended (P.L. 98-21) section 340 to include an additional provision regarding the payment of Social Security benefits to aliens outside the U.S. Section 202(t)(11) of the Social Security Act requires that certain non-U.S. citizen dependent and survivor beneficiaries who are first eligible for Social Security Benefits after December 1984, must have resided in the U.S. for at least 5 years as the spouse, widow/widower, child, or parent of the NH, in order to receive U.S. benefits while outside the U.S.. See RS 02610.030 - 5 Year Residency Requirements for Spouses, Natural Child, Adopted Child, and a Parent " (Emphasis mine)

4 hours ago, Emdog said:

Maybe this will help? " In 1983 the Social Security Act was amended (P.L. 98-21) section 340 to include an additional provision regarding the payment of Social Security benefits to aliens outside the U.S. Section 202(t)(11) of the Social Security Act requires that certain non-U.S. citizen dependent and survivor beneficiaries who are first eligible for Social Security Benefits after December 1984, must have resided in the U.S. for at least 5 years as the spouse, widow/widower, child, or parent of the NH, in order to receive U.S. benefits while outside the U.S.. See RS 02610.030 - 5 Year Residency Requirements for Spouses, Natural Child, Adopted Child, and a Parent " (Emphasis mine)

For the record, I didn't need the help, It was the other guy I was referring to that needed to do some research.  My Thai wife is a US citizen and has spent about 25 years with me living and working there before we re-located back here to Thailand.

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 1:16 PM, Lacessit said:

As Kerry Packer once famously said, anyone who doesn't minimize their taxes needs their head read.

Negative gearing and franking credits are tax rorts making the rich even richer, and robbing the young of affordable housing. The majority of taxpayers get very little benefit from either.

According to you, it's OK to minimize your tax. Fine. At the same time, you seem to be saying I should get a pension in Thailand commensurate with welfare here, and forgo the pension to which I have contributed with taxes all my working life, spanning 45 years. I shouldn't benefit from being smart enough to take advantage of the differential between the cost of living in Thailand and Australia. I should go and live under a bridge in Australia instead, to maximize my contribution to the Australian economy.

What I am doing is legal, just as minimizing tax through a rort is legal. If you can explain to me why I'm wrong without getting into complete hypocrisy, I'm all ears.

All perfectly legal. No argument there. Stop whingeing. If I want a pension I now have to be 66.5years. If I want portability i.e get it overseas I have to live in Oz 2 years prior to getting it. Potentially 68.5 years old.

You may have worked 45 years as have I...actually 48 to date, and loving it and still working in Myanmar and loving it.

You must at least recognise over your 45 years there have been many people, including multiple generations of single mums (I know a great grandma down to the babies who have never worked or had a ring on their finger), who have never contributed one cent, nothing, zip, zilch, bugger all to the economy of the country, who have transitioned to the OAP and whine about the hard time they are having. 

My ex father in law never worked a day after he turned 45. He was a Pommie and got a small pension. Picked up a 1000 dollars based on being a self funded retiree due to his Pommie pension. All good when Oz was awash with cash from the Chinese boom. Very, Very different now .

Remember twenty/thirty or so years ago they reduced the unemployment numbers by transferring thousands to the disability pension. Smoke and mirrors but eventually someone has to pay for it.

What happened to you super? It's been around a long time.

53 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My NZ pension was reduced despite my wife not living in NZ and contributing nothing monetarily to our marriage in NZ.

They don't want to know if she actually works and earns money, only that she is capable of doing so.

On 8/4/2019 at 9:40 PM, emptypockets said:

All perfectly legal. No argument there. Stop whingeing. If I want a pension I now have to be 66.5years. If I want portability i.e get it overseas I have to live in Oz 2 years prior to getting it. Potentially 68.5 years old.

No, if you do the two years prior, you will get it at 66.5. It's only if you are living outside Australia when you turn pension age that you would have to return and do the two years before becoming eligible.

On 7/30/2019 at 4:16 PM, Lacessit said:

forgo the pension to which I have contributed with taxes all my working life, spanning 45 years.

How exactly have you contributed to the pension all your working life? During those 45 years you paid for other people's pensions; the social security system is not a savings scheme. The only way you can get a "pension" via savings is through superannuation. If you've had a wife and kids then the tax system has been supporting you for most of that time - free Medicare (kids don't pay the Medicare levy), free education ($8,000 - $10,000 per kid, each and every year), family cash benefits. It's an unending list of tax bludging by breeders who over their lifetimes are sucking at the teat of the tax system

On 8/12/2019 at 8:36 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

My NZ pension was reduced despite my wife not living in NZ and contributing nothing monetarily to our marriage in NZ.

Same in Oz, I wonder do they make this assessment as if you were living in Oz or NZ capable of earning NZ/AUD dollars. My wife is 50y now and not well educated, so her chances of finding employment is slim. Try and explain this to you government and they give you that answer, "tell somebody who cares"!!!!!. 

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 2:36 PM, DUNROAMIN said:

Same in Oz, I wonder do they make this assessment as if you were living in Oz or NZ capable of earning NZ/AUD dollars. My wife is 50y now and not well educated, so her chances of finding employment is slim. Try and explain this to you government and they give you that answer, "tell somebody who cares"!!!!!. 

They have no discretion. Waste of space and the sooner replaced by a robot the better.

Archived