Police drafting plan for major accident exercise for Chalong Underpass

webfact

Police drafting plan for major accident exercise for Chalong Underpass

By The Phuket News

1564118608_1-org.jpg

Chalong Traffic Police are planning a large-scale emergency exercise simulating a major accident in the Chalong Underpass. Photo: Highways Dept

PHUKET: Chalong Police are drawing up plans to stage a full-scale emergency drill simulating a major accident in the Chalong Underpass, Chalong Traffic Police Chief Lt Col Suchart Singha has revealed.

Col Suchart broke the news at the monthly Governor Meets the Press meeting held at the Ramada Plaza Chao Fah hotel on Chao Fa West Rd yesterday (July 25).

Col Suchart explained that feedback about the underpass since its official opening by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on July 8 had been good.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/police-drafting-plan-for-major-accident-exercise-for-chalong-underpass-72280.php#1cDIf12pOjejuAPi.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-07-26

(from the Phuket News article above)

Chalong Police are drawing up plans to stage a full-scale emergency drill simulating a major accident in the Chalong Underpass, Chalong Traffic Police Chief Lt Col Suchart Singha has revealed.

“Also, due to the fact that the underpass is one lane each way, and the lanes are separated only by traffic poles that are not strong enough (to prevent vehicles from crossing into the oncoming lane), there is the chance that the vehicles heading in opposite directions will collide head-on."

Blindingly obvious question: How come the construction of an unsafe underpass was allowed to proceed at all?

Forward planning anyone?

44 minutes ago, webfact said:

Chalong Traffic Police are planning a large-scale emergency exercise simulating a major accident in the Chalong Underpass.

no simulation needed. All of Thailand is a large scale emergency accident. 

28 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

A 2 way underpass with no solid divider between the lanes .? Just asking for trouble that .. Needs Armco between the opposing lanes to stop the very thing they fear ..

Or a few of those high-power amulets every few metres would do the trick surely?

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

no simulation needed. All of Thailand is a large scale emergency accident. 

Exactly Thailand does re-constructions after the event... just wait for the real thing to happen, it won't be long!

I agree with some  other posts,  sometimes a simulation dosnt produce the effect of the real thing, dont spend money which could be used in other more needing environments, just wait a little bit and there is nothing quite like the  real thing.

A question for the responsible minister, Sir why was this not built with a solid barrier separating lanes, when in KK the road tunnel (quite short) under the new railway track has  a dividing concrete barrier separating the lanes?

They could have done the exercise before the underpass opened ! Sorry, that's too obvious to us, isn't it ?  Now they will close it off and create a massive traffic jam for the day, or will it be many days, as they practice to get it right !!

At first I thought the picture of the underpass was of one of the lanes being separated from the other, it was with total disbelief I realised that was it. A tunnel with no barrier for the oncoming traffic. 

As in other stories on this site, preparing Thailand for the 21st century, hasn't happened yet. 

For the people who live as far away as the north-east of the country, yet still have a keen interest in the everyday, mundane happenings in Phuket, I offer the following:  

The tunnel was severely restricted in size because of the available space for construction. That 5 way intersection and it's approach roads, are heavily built up and the construction area was tight. Of course they should've allowed at least a couple of extra feet for a center divider, but TIT.  Actually they should have build overpasses for a fraction of the cost and time, but the decision makers don't like them. 

The road inside the tunnel is just like a thousand other undivided roads in Thailand, albeit with no cross traffic and no (fewer) motorbikes. It should be just as safe (dangerous) as any other road. The difference is that when the inevitable happens, the walls and roof of the tunnel will cause lengthy delays getting the traffic cleared.

Keep your breath bated, far flung readers, there is sure to be a domestic incident, resulting in a newsworthy injury, somewhere on the Island soon!

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 2:19 PM, from the home of CC said:

a worst case scenario would involve a fuel truck and blocked exits..

Wow, have you conveyed this scenario to the governments of the world, all of whom have tunnels within their borders? It may not have been considered as a possibility.

Perhaps they should have a major accident exercise in case the worst case happens.

My advice, stay out of tunnels everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Wow, have you conveyed this scenario to the governments of the world, all of whom have tunnels within their borders? It may not have been considered as a possibility.

Perhaps they should have a major accident exercise in case the worst case happens.

My advice, stay out of tunnels everywhere.

i guess this is your version of sarcasm, you're avatar doesn't do you justice lol

2 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

i guess this is your version of sarcasm, you're avatar doesn't do you justice lol

It's not my usual version of sarcasm. It used to be more subtle before I found myself constantly explaining basics on this forum.

What's the picture of my old boat got to do with my sarcastic personality? 

42 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Do they let fuel trucks in?

No idea really but it has a series of escape routes all along, divided road etc. It was built as a short cut to a treacherous pass over a mountain nearby to Danang

1 hour ago, Olmate said:

No idea really but it has a series of escape routes all along, divided road etc. It was built as a short cut to a treacherous pass over a mountain nearby to Danang

Yes, at that length escape routes are a must. The norm in Europe is that they are at every 500 meters. The Chalong tunnel is 350 meters long and doesn't warrant one. 

Archived