My account was cleaned out and the bank won't repay me, says Chonburi woman

webfact

My account was cleaned out and the bank won't repay me, says Chonburi woman

10pm1.jpg

Thai caption: Don't be complacent

A Chonburi woman has appealed to the Thai media for help after her bank account was cleaned out in a series of ATM withdrawals. 

Nanthana Sae-ngow, 49, went to the Ban Bung police to register a complaint yesterday. 

She said that she had opened an account with a bank in Ban Bung many years ago but didn't touch it for ten years. In 2014 she needed the money because she was having a baby and went to check on it by making a 500 baht ATM withdrawal.

It was then that she discovered that between 2011 and 2013 there had been 23 withdrawals using her ATM card. 

10pm2.jpg
Picture: 77kaoded

The balance should have been 160,800 baht but 5,000 baht was all that was left. 

Nanthana said that she didn't make the withdrawals and her husband didn't know her PIN number. 

The bank have refused to settle - they have told her that the money was stolen by someone close to her. 

Nanthana believes the money was systematically stolen by an employee of the bank. She said that no matter how much it cost her she was determined to get to the bottom of this and get her money back. 

The bank was not named in the 77kaoded story.

Source: 77kaoded

Same thing happened to me with Bangkok Bank. It was 1-2 small transactions under 3000 baht every month. I always withdraw round amount so I noticed after a couple month. They were useless. They could not tell me if it was ATM or online transactions. They changed the ATM card and it stopped. 

11 minutes ago, rjwill01 said:

They have the dates of withdrawals. Like all ATMs they have cameras recording who is taking money out. Go to police and have them tell bank to look at films. That is what they are for. Something fishy???

Do you think that Kasikorn would still have the ATM CCTV from 9 years ago?

cant see where she gets the 160,000 from, looking at the transactions it is way short of having that much in the account, 5 withdrawals of 20,000 baht over a few days in march is all it shows, didnt the bank message her with the withdrawals as they usually do. Maybe she needs to check her husband and other family members seeing its her card that was used. Strange that she never once checked the account for 10 years or got a statement especially after the deposits

Never have much money on an account with a card. Also use cards only at ATMs that are at a protected location for instance directly at a bank. I don't use cards at all. And if I need a card online I use a one time debit card of the Kasikorn bank - generated online. The bank is not to blame here. 

29 minutes ago, webfact said:

The bank have refused to settle - they have told her that the money was stolen by someone close to her. 

And there is a very good chance that they are correct. While there have been instances of bank employee fraud, more often than not, it is someone much closer to home that has swagged the cash.

This is a complete cock and bull story. Just consider the time line. She (he) opens an account and then doesn't touch it for 10 years. And yet she (he) has a valid ATM with which to make a withdrawal. I've never known an ATM card to be valid for more than 5 years at the most.

She (he) claims that these withdrawals took place between 2011 and 2013, and yet we can see that the transaction dates in the passbook are 2010! And the balance back then was well short of 160,800 that she (he) claims was there in there.

Sorry Madam. (Sir) B/S. No wonder the bank will have nothing to do with it.

55 minutes ago, seajae said:

cant see where she gets the 160,000 from, looking at the transactions it is way short of having that much in the account, 5 withdrawals of 20,000 baht over a few days in march is all it shows, didnt the bank message her with the withdrawals as they usually do. Maybe she needs to check her husband and other family members seeing its her card that was used. Strange that she never once checked the account for 10 years or got a statement especially after the deposits

Go back and read it again then. Lot more withdrawals than the screenshot of a single page from her bank book

" she discovered that between 2011 and 2013 there had been 23 withdrawals using her ATM card.  "

1 hour ago, rjwill01 said:

Like all ATMs they have cameras recording who is taking money out.

And they keep the video for 8 years ? I don't know about the rest of you, but i check my bank 2-3 times a week, so saying she did not notice a withdrawal from 8 years ago seems strange

1 hour ago, rjwill01 said:

They have the dates of withdrawals. Like all ATMs they have cameras recording who is taking money out. Go to police and have them tell bank to look at films. That is what they are for. Something fishy???

She didn't notice until 2014, withdrawals started from 2011. Why we only hear of this now some 5 years later heaven knows. How long are the ATM pics retained? 

Fishy story.

Looking at the pictures and reading the text, have so many wrongs so it´s impossible to believe this.

Opened an account many years ago. Saying that somebody made withdrawals during 2011-2013. What about the no touch for 10 years. according to the pictures she made transactions out and in 2009-2010, and to the text touched the account 2014. Discovered it in 2014 and made the complaint yesterday.

No need to go on more. All this makes it totally unbelievable.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

And there is a very good chance that they are correct. While there have been instances of bank employee fraud, more often than not, it is someone much closer to home that has swagged the cash.

I am a bit puzzled by the time of this story. Did she report it that much earlier and now decided to go public as there is no resolution or did she find out now. If now i can understand the bank is reluctant as there are no camera images more of that time available and so on. Too much time has passed.

Nanthana said that she didn't make the withdrawals and her husband didn't know her PIN number. 

and it's impossible to guess too!

nearly 50% of Thai people I know well enough to know their ATM PIN use the year of their birth as PIN.

2 minutes ago, manarak said:

and it's impossible to guess too!

nearly 50% of Thai people I know well enough to know their ATM PIN use the year of their birth as PIN.

I agree with that.

If only they'd use some of the digits from their ID card, for example, or shoe size.

I think she had to update her bankbook periodically. Else there would be only a summary of older Withdrawals. I think K-Bank only update records not older than 6 months. If older, then there is only 1 summary update in the bankbook.

So this mean she was updating her book but not saw that the money disapeared?

2 hours ago, rjwill01 said:

Not all a t ms have cameras. I had a similar problem in chiangmai. Was told only larger atm set ups have cameras Those out of the way stand alone ones have mostly no cameras.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

She said that she had opened an account with a bank in Ban Bung many years ago but didn't touch it for ten years. In 2014 she needed the money because she was having a baby and went to check on it by making a 500 baht ATM withdrawal

It's 2019 now.... why is this even news?

Archived