No illegal searches claims thong lor police chief

ThomasThBKK

18 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

I wasn't aware i look like an illegal motorbike gang member, maybe that's why they stop my white ass all the time and demand money

You're unlucky, how many times have you been stopped and had money demanded from you in, say, the last 12 months, and whereabouts?

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

You're unlucky, how many times have you been stopped and had money demanded from you in, say, the last 12 months, and whereabouts?

2 or 3 times personally

1) In bangkok, between phrong phong and thong lor. 

2) in bkk, near asoke on songkran, got theatened with jail for not having my passport

3) in bangkok at night in a taxi, cops pulled it outside of a police check, they do this all the time if they see white expats/tourists in a taxi at night. 

4) my friend got stopped at night wearing a backpack with quite some money in, outside of a check point of course, they tried to deposit drugs and steal his money... Near soi 22, near ottos bar. 

I can go on if you want, this is normal bangkok life for expats, facebook is full with these same stories. Everyone who says it doesn't happen is a liar. 

16 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

2 or 3 times personally

2) in bkk, near asoke on songkran, got theatened with jail for not having my passport

3) in bangkok at night in a taxi, cops pulled it outside of a police check, they do this all the time if they see white expats/tourists in a taxi at night. 

4) my friend got stopped at night wearing a backpack with quite some money in, outside of a check point of course, they tried to deposit drugs and steal his money... Near soi 22, near ottos bar. 

I can go on if you want, this is normal bangkok life for expats, facebook is full with these same stories. Everyone who says it doesn't happen is a liar. 

Wow you must be seriously unlucky. I have lived in that area for 15 years or so and not once been stopped nor have any of my friends who also live in that area for long term!!! Amd you have been stopped 2-3 times in 12 months!!!

23 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:
On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:45 AM, Just Weird said:

2 or 3 times personally

Ok, re your list...

1.  If they demanded money, that would be occasion No. 1.  How much and for what?

2.  That was not them demanding money from you, according to your description of what happened.

3.  Being checked in a taxi is not having money demanded from you, either.  They do not do this "all the time" to white people; it did happen to me once in Suk 23 at night in, maybe 2008/9, and never once since and I use taxis in the Sukhumvit area at night at least five times a week, and also in the Suan Luang area where there are regular police checks, and I have never been bothered by the police or had money demanded from me.  I'm white, by the way.

4.  "Your friend"?  That doesn't count, I asked about your experiences, not someone else's hearsay.

"I can go on if you want, this is normal bangkok life for expats, facebook is full with these same stories. Everyone who says it doesn't happen is a liar". 

This not normal life for expats, Facebook is not "full of these stories of demands for money".  You listed just one occasion when it allegedly happened to you (No. 1 in your list).    You can go on if you like if you've got specifics that may give your claim of personal experiences of police extortion more credibility.

On 7/26/2019 at 4:07 PM, ThomasThBKK said:

maybe that's why they stop my white ass all the time and demand money

On 7/27/2019 at 1:37 PM, ThomasThBKK said:

2 or 3 times personally

Can you see how easy it is to discredit your issues and comments when you use broad sweeping statements like these? It does no good for anyone's cause if there are real issues.

I imagine if this shakedown and placement of drugs malarky was happening as regularly as you initially said, there would be footage online of it. If someone was being as victimised as you initially seemed to suggest, one of the many cheap, cameras or even audio recording devices stored on the body or bag would be an easy way to entrap people doing the wrong thing. The leaglities of that I am not aware of, but I'd certainly consider it.

But there seems to be no footage. Not even from passerbys or taxi drivers. Why not?

Got caught up in drug sweep when was just walking past a bunch of Nigerians and the search of my bag was very very thorough and when I went to sit on the kerb they made me come back and told me to witness the search so I couldn't claim they planted anything

Can you see how easy it is to discredit your issues and comments when you use broad sweeping statements like these? It does no good for anyone's cause if there are real issues.

I imagine if this shakedown and placement of drugs malarky was happening as regularly as you initially said, there would be footage online of it. If someone was being as victimised as you initially seemed to suggest, one of the many cheap, cameras or even audio recording devices stored on the body or bag would be an easy way to entrap people doing the wrong thing. The leaglities of that I am not aware of, but I'd certainly consider it.

But there seems to be no footage. Not even from passerbys or taxi drivers. Why not?

<deleted> are you talking about, getting stopped in illegal ways and strip searched multiple times PER YEAR is not a problem, damn you left your brain i your home country.

We know all why we get searched, we are a running atm and not a security risk.

There are no real issue with white european/American/australian farrang in Sukhumvit, prolly the most boring group living in thailand but also rhe one that always has thousands of baht in their wallet.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

<deleted> are you talking about, getting stopped in illegal ways and strip searched multiple times PER YEAR is not a problem, damn you left your brain i your home country.

We know all why we get searched, we are a running atm and not a security risk.

There are no real issue with white european/American/australian farrang in Sukhumvit, prolly the most boring group living in thailand but also rhe one that always has thousands of baht in their wallet.

Well clearly your definition of "all the time" and my definition seem to be different.

After your aggressive response above and non factual original post, I am starting to get an overall picture on why you are such a target. Good luck getting home without being violated tonight.

Traveling from OnNut to Asoke and back 3 or 4 times a month, always after midnight. Been stopped at police checkpoints 7 times in the last year, always in the back of a taxi. That rate is roughly 30% of the time I pass through a checkpoint. I am polite, and they are reasonably professional. Very thorough searches, but never extortion - because I do not break any laws. It is just a total nuisance. The times and locations suggest that they are mostly looking for drunk drivers, and the searches of me suggest that they are hoping to find drugs on me. I am sure of what would happen if they did.

Well clearly your definition of "all the time" and my definition seem to be different.

After your aggressive response above and non factual original post, I am starting to get an overall picture on why you are such a target. Good luck getting home without being violated tonight.
Yeah i am a target because i am wealthy and young, a running atm like we say.

It's all about the money.

I was stopped about a month ago outside The Robin Hood by Phrom Pong at about 11am Saturday morning. 2 cops, they were reasonably friendly, searched my bag and asked where I was going so I said to get Breakfast, he joked that it would be Brunch by now, bit of small talk and smiles and I was on my way. 

Not sure if they were legally allowed to search me but I don't think creating a big scene about my human rights would have helped much. I did get a few unpleasant/suspicious looks from Thais walking past as if I was some kind of criminal but overall the cops were pretty professional. Would rather it didn't happen though.

I was stopped about a month ago outside The Robin Hood by Phrom Pong at about 11am Saturday morning. 2 cops, they were reasonably friendly, searched my bag and asked where I was going so I said to get Breakfast, he joked that it would be Brunch by now, bit of small talk and smiles and I was on my way. 

Not sure if they were legally allowed to search me but I don't think creating a big scene about my human rights would have helped much. I did get a few unpleasant/suspicious looks from Thais walking past as if I was some kind of criminal but overall the cops were pretty professional. Would rather it didn't happen though.
Exactly the spot where i got searched too, and opposite site soi 22 ottos bar area/marriot hotel.
Same for my friends experiences.

Before that they were following foreigners that were smoking in front of emquartier until they snip away their cigarette, of course they removed all ashtrays everywhere there so they have to snip them away....

Monkeys do what they do i guess...

Do these police ever stop Thais, who by all accounts are far greater drug users than foreigners? Or is it a campaign in some areas of Bangkok to offer tourists a new experience that they can tell all their friends and family about back home. I can imagine that many might be seriously intimidated by being stopped, questioned and searched by police who have no reasonable grounds for doing so. A great holiday experience for them, and a sure-fire way to make sure they and everyone they know never sets foot in the country in the future. 

On 7/28/2019 at 2:10 PM, Farangwithaplan said:
On 7/26/2019 at 4:07 PM, ThomasThBKK said:

maybe that's why they stop my white ass all the time and demand money

On 7/27/2019 at 1:37 PM, ThomasThBKK said:

2 or 3 times personally

i have been detained on dark bkk streets for not having my passport though hasd a copy and scans in my mobile. cops refused to take me to their station and yes they were blatantly telling me i must pay cash to them. oddly enough was using a tuk tuk that decided to take the route where cops were and it sure did not look like a normal checkpoint. would not be surprised if tuk tuk get a commission.

why in the world would a tuk tuk or taxi driver film it and risk an issue with corrupt cops???  your logic is astonishingly deficient

btw there exists lots of thai filmed police road extortion.

been passenger in taxi many times told to get out and searched by police that are hoping to find something illegal so they can leverage cash from me.

i always make them show their open hands before allowing any fingers in my pockets or i empty my own pockets.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Do these police ever stop Thais, who by all accounts are far greater drug users than foreigners? Or is it a campaign in some areas of Bangkok to offer tourists a new experience that they can tell all their friends and family about back home. I can imagine that many might be seriously intimidated by being stopped, questioned and searched by police who have no reasonable grounds for doing so. A great holiday experience for them, and a sure-fire way to make sure they and everyone they know never sets foot in the country in the future. 

they stop thais all the time hoping to find alcohol or drivers drinking so they can get fast cash.  drugs even better, higher bribe.

do you really think the average thai cop ponders consequential or subsequential fallout from shaking down people??  you really think the average cop cares about "reasonable grounds " for search or shakedown ??

"No illegal searches claims thong lor police chief" .  and  they also say police are not corrupt

what world are you living in ??

10 minutes ago, atyclb said:

i have been detained on dark bkk streets for not having my passport though hasd a copy and scans in my mobile. cops refused to take me to their station and yes they were blatantly telling me i must pay cash to them. oddly enough was using a tuk tuk that decided to take the route where cops were and it sure did not look like a normal checkpoint. would not be surprised if tuk tuk get a commission.

why in the world would a tuk tuk or taxi driver film it and risk an issue with corrupt cops???  your logic is astonishingly deficient

btw there exists lots of thai filmed police road extortion.

been passenger in taxi many times told to get out and searched by police that are hoping to find something illegal so they can leverage cash from me.

i always make them show their open hands before allowing any fingers in my pockets or i empty my own pockets.

thats basically my story on songkran.

Except it was a grab motortaxi and they ripped him off too as he had no helmet for me, while tons of motorbike taxis passed without helmets.

They also took our phones, so it wasn't possible to film anything. Lot's of others were forced to make a pisstest etc, guess they found no other way to extort them.

They also stopped and rippef off thais - there was a thai kid handcuffed in the back of their van. No idea what he did but he was driving a motorbike without helmet, guess he had no money to pay off.

But all is fineeeeee

2 minutes ago, atyclb said:

amazing to read responses by those that doubt shakedowns occur because "it never happened to them"

i never been attacked by a shark and have been swimming and surfing for decades.

Who is stating that they don't occur? The OP has been caught exaggerating ("all the time" suddenly becomes three occasions in 12 months - wow!) to inflate the situation. Three times in a year for random checks is nothing. I was recently in Melbourne, Australia and was pulled over twice in 2 weeks. Once driving a hire car and was made to stand on the side of the road as I was tested for drugs, had to show my ID and had the car looked through. Where is the difference? It is an inconvenience, get over it.

It wouldn't surprise me if the police officer threatened the OP with a bit of time to cool off in a cell. He sounds like a bit of a hothead.

24 minutes ago, atyclb said:

So you got caught with the tuk tuk scam. For all you know they weren't even cops. Have you ever taken for the gold buyer's scam by the guy you meet at the run down old temple ruins? Be careful, you sound like a prime target.

You will need to expand on why my logic is deficient - you see, my logic is deficient and I can't logically come to a conclusion on exactly why you think it is.

Hard to tell! I've spent a lot of time in the Thong Lor police precinct, including years ago when they felt compelled to hand out those flyers. Personally, I've never been approached by police in all those years. I passed their checkpoints quite a few times in a taxi at night, but they never stopped or searched me. What makes people (and foreigners in particular) look suspicious to them is anyone's guess. Not being drunk in itself, that much I can say from personal experience. I'd say NOT being drunk at 4am is more suspicious, sober people usually don't hang out at that hour!

1 hour ago, atyclb said:

do you really think the average thai cop ponders consequential or subsequential fallout from shaking down people??  you really think the average cop cares about "reasonable grounds " for search or shakedown ??

No. Just saying that visitors are probably used to different standards back home and might be a tad disappointed at that kind of treatment in Thailand and might decide it is something they can do without.

1 hour ago, Farangwithaplan said:

You will need to expand on why my logic is deficient - you see, my logic is deficient and I can't logically come to a conclusion on exactly why you think it is.

it's all there thus if you cannot figure it out perhaps place blame on your elementary school teachers

On 7/30/2019 at 7:31 AM, ThomasThBKK said:

Before that they were following foreigners that were smoking in front of emquartier until they snip away their cigarette, of course they removed all ashtrays everywhere there so they have to snip them away....

cant justify no ashtrays as a reason to throw it on ground. i would have let it burn out and hold onto it and gone to nearest toilet where it can be wet and dropped in trash bin.

On 7/28/2019 at 1:03 PM, smutcakes said:

Wow you must be seriously unlucky. I have lived in that area for 15 years or so and not once been stopped nor have any of my friends who also live in that area for long term!!! Amd you have been stopped 2-3 times in 12 months!!!

are you often out late at night say 11pm to 3am?

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

On Koh Samui they often have spot checks looking for drugs.

I have always been waved through - most Thais stopped. To my knowledge, none of my farang friends ave been stopped.

Archived