Jump to content
BANGKOK
Pinot

The 400/40 Thai Health Insurance Policy

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

See my previous posts on this matter. I think the OP is referring to Pacific CROSS not Health.

You will not get much serious work done for Bht 400,000 even in a Government Hospital.

I had 35 radiation treatments and 3 chemotherapy treatments (3 over night stays ) over 7 weeks at Buddhasinaraj hospital (Gov ) in Phitsanulok with all associated follow ups,meds etc for 200,000 baht which I paid for myself so 400,000 would cover a whole lot more.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wazzadg44 said:

I had 35 radiation treatments and 3 chemotherapy treatments (3 over night stays ) over 7 weeks at Buddhasinaraj hospital (Gov ) in Phitsanulok with all associated follow ups,meds etc for 200,000 baht which I paid for myself so 400,000 would cover a whole lot more.

I guess you are saying it is OK there, if necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2019 at 7:57 AM, Pinot said:

The Regency rep tells me that I will be given a document saying I have the 400/40 policy if asked. I'm betting that this doc will eventually be required. I didn't want to wait till I was over 70 and could no longer buy a policy. It's a good minimal (basic?) insurance policy for older expats going into their 70's.

 

I recently had an operation for varicose veins in my legs at Bangkok Hospital in Phuket. This involved plugging up the offending veins with glue, the "new" way to accomplish this procedure. The cost of the operation was 330,000 baht that insurance paid fully. That's why I want insurance.

 

Probably cataract surgery will be eventually be needed. That cost will more than make up for insurance policy costs. 

 

The outpatient coverage will reduce the cost of the policy. I'm usually seeing a doctor a couple times a year for one thing or another. Not looking forward to using a government hospital but so it goes. You can go to any of them anywhere in Thailand. There are some good ones.   

How much is the Regency policy you didn't say. Presumably this claim wouldn't be fully covered under Regency, was it in a private hospital for 330k?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2019 at 6:00 AM, stament said:

How much is the Regency policy you didn't say. Presumably this claim wouldn't be fully covered under Regency, was it in a private hospital for 330k?

With the 400/40 policy you have to go to a government hospital. 

 

I just paid for the policy yesterday to start October 1. No more Bangkok hospital. The price was $1495 in USD, a bargain at 69 years old. Can't believe outpatient is covered including medication. The policy is $3000 less than what I'm paying now although I am stepping down from $2,000,000 coverage, a big step down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2019 at 11:42 AM, wgdanson said:

See my previous posts on this matter. I think the OP is referring to Pacific CROSS not Health.

You will not get much serious work done for Bht 400,000 even in a Government Hospital.

400000 baht coverage in a government hospital goes a long way towards covering almost everything IMHO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pinot said:

400000 baht coverage in a government hospital goes a long way towards covering almost everything IMHO

I did read that they are proposing to double the charges for farangs in Government Hospitals. 

I have been to several of those places with family members, and would not want to have to stay or be treated for anything serious in one. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so are you stating that there are no policies for the over 70's? If there are then what will the costs be for a 400/40?

Edited by zhorik

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2019 at 10:27 AM, wgdanson said:

I did read that they are proposing to double the charges for farangs in Government Hospitals. 

I have been to several of those places with family members, and would not want to have to stay or be treated for anything serious in one. 

Plenty of good ones around, some not so good ones.

 

1 hour ago, zhorik said:

so are you stating that there are no policies for the over 70's? If there are then what will the costs be for a 400/40?

There maybe some but I didn't find any. The cut off for signing up for all of them would seem to be 70

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pinot said:

Plenty of good ones around, some not so good ones.

 

There maybe some but I didn't find any. The cut off for signing up for all of them would seem to be 70

I just did Cigna Close Care at 71. No medical needed. up to Bht 12M cover. Prostate excluded. Direct billing in many hospitals. No excess. In patient only. Bht 125,000 premium. I have peace of mind...................but lower bank balance. 

Edited by wgdanson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wgdanson said:

I just did Cigna Close Care at 71. No medical needed. up to Bht 12M cover. Prostate excluded. Direct billing in many hospitals. No excess. Bht 125,000 premium. I have peace of mind...................but lower bank balance. 

I think you were lucky to find that, there aren't many. How much do the premiums increase yearly. My previous plan was increasing 10% a year. Also when do they stop insuring you? My previous one was 75. Both are important factors.

 

The increases of the Regency where minimal but I don't remember what they said. Recency will not cancel the policy for age. 

 

This 400/40 is not a great Medical policy but I felt I could supplement (upgrade room for instance instead of a ward) and be treated at the best government hospital if need be by flying to it. Since I knew they were going to cut me off in 6 years with a rapidly escalating yearly premiums I decided to make a change. 

 

It's also an alternative to self insuring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Pinot said:

I think you were lucky to find that, there aren't many. How much do the premiums increase yearly. My previous plan was increasing 10% a year. Also when do they stop insuring you? My previous one was 75. Both are important factors.

 

The increases of the Regency where minimal but I don't remember what they said. Recency will not cancel the policy for age. 

 

This 400/40 is not a great Medical policy but I felt I could supplement (upgrade room for instance instead of a ward) and be treated at the best government hospital if need be by flying to it. Since I knew they were going to cut me off in 6 years with a rapidly escalating yearly premiums I decided to make a change. 

 

It's also an alternative to self insuring. 

I was quoted about an 8% annual increase, unaffected by any claims I make, up to when I kick it.

For Bht 85k premium at age 71, the 400/40 is not worth it as it would just about cover a case of terminal piles !   LOL

85k for 400k cover or 125k for 12M cover. No brainer.

Edited by wgdanson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...