Is it possible to catch a Tuk Tuk outside Huai Sam Phat (Udon Thani) Rail Station?

Alex Alan

I will take a train from Khon Kaen to Udon Thani, visiting Red Lotus Lake in December this year. I searched through the web, and found out that all people use Udon Thani city as a base to Red Lotus Lake.

However, according to the map, the Huai Sam Phat train station is much closer to Red Lotus Lake. It seems quite stupid to go further to Udon Thani city and go back to Red Lotus Lake.

I checked the Google street view, Huai Sam Phat train station looks very rural. But the street view is 2014, 5 years ago.

Anybody go to Huai Sam Phat train station lately? Is it possible to catch a Tuk Tuk outside this station?

Thanks and best regards

Alex

While I have never been there, if you have white skin, you won't need to find a tuk-tuk, or motorcycle taxi, they will find you. For a rural station such as that,clarify that the train you have selected will stop there, and the same for your return (or onward) trip.

16 hours ago, Alex Alan said:

Huai Sam Phat train station looks very rural. But the street view is 2014, 5 years ago.

Nothing has changed in that area, believe there are two trains a day at some ungodly hour, unless you have a primitive masochistic urge to ride a very old train in Thailand I would suggest looking at getting to Red Lotus by another means.

Thanks all!

After I did more search, It seems that Kumphawapi Railway Station is less rural than Huai Sam Phat railway station, more train stops there, and seems better chance to get a tuk tuk.

I will try Kumphawapi Railway Station and stay in Kumphawapi city as a base to Red Lotus Lake. The only problem is that all resorts in Kumphawapi city cannot be booked through the common booking websites, like Agoda, traveloka, booking.com, Expedia, sawadee.com, etc...

Yep Kumphawapi station is small and not far from Lotus lake

rode there once on a Honda 150 nice scenery. I’ve attached some 

maps which you may have already seen. 

There are two for lack of better words hotels in/near downtown Kumphawapi. One about a year old (in Kumphawapi town)and the other older ( 10 min drive up 2 towards Udon)

i will mesaage you. I live outside of Kumphawapi our nearest small town. 

B59B5F31-4C83-4D04-BE51-24D27C20E720.jpeg

D7D3BFDF-6C53-47BB-9A9C-E8BC858B5F11.jpeg

D52A2C5B-3801-4CB7-9B6A-4E255872D33C.jpeg

71DC0862-FC7D-458B-B1B6-022CEC481C94.jpeg

Hi DJ54,

Thanks for your information! very details!

Almost all people take the Red Lotus Lake boat tour at Ban Diam (North-West side of Nong Han Kumphawapi Lake). However I noticed that there is also another boat tour pier at the South-East side of Nong Han Kumphawapi Lake (See my attached photo below). This pier should be less crowded with people and may be more interesting therefore I decide to take the boat tour there.

The boat tour at the South-East side of Nong Han Kumphawapi Lake is very close to Kumphawapi. That's why I plan to stay there.

Actually there are some resorts at Kumphawapi but seems can only be booked by telephone. My concern is that if I can arrange a tuk tuk at 5:45 in the moring. I like to see the sun rise at Red Lotus Lake.

kumphawapi-to-red-lotus-lake-map.jpg.14eca36151e0df6f18178e39fd04eb70.jpg

Archived