watching netflex in government hospital with no wi-fi

gamini

I have just spent a few days as an inpatient in a government hospital with no Wi-Fi or TV. I was bored stiff. I've got to go again to the same hospital for an operation and recovery.
If only I could watch Netflix on my tab. I would be grateful for any advice on how to go about it. I have an AIS monthly package which has free mobile data but it's not fast enough. 
Can I buy some high-speed mobile AIS data package valid for 7 days? Any advice would be highly appreciated

It may come down to the speeds available for any particular network at that location.

If, for instance, the max speed at that location for a network is 4 or 5 Mbps, purchasing a higher speed package will do you no good.

Also, what is available will depend on the age of your SIM. Truemove H and AIS SIM activated before the 1st of Feb and DTAC SIMs registered before the 1st of March, have different packages available to them. Namely capped speed unlimited data packages.

If your SIM is newer than those, a temporary new SIM can be a good option.

A new AIS or Truemove H SIM can have a 110 GB/100 GB data package, respectively, added for 200 baht. The speed is capped at 4 Mbps. The AIS SIM also has an extra 90 GB allowance for AIS PLAY.

AIS *777*909# and then the Dial key. Truemove H *900*9605# and then the dial key. The code has to be applied within seven days of activating the SIM and before the end of the 31st of July.

You will need an unlimited package at full speed. (900-1100 Baht a month depending on provider) Then you can watch Netflix without problems. If you buy special add-on packages like most providers offer - you will go through 15GB or more a day watching Netflix or torrents. Just make sure it is at full speed. Read the fine print in the agreement because if the provider finds out that you use torrents e.g. they will cut your speed regardless of the “full speed” package purchased and it becomes useless to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, JamJar said:

Also, what is available will depend on the age of your SIM. Truemove H and AIS SIM activated before the 1st of Feb and DTAC SIMs registered before the 1st of March, have different packages available to them. Namely capped speed unlimited data packages.

Good bit of advice there. On a holiday weekend in Hua Hin and finding my normally fast DTAC data a bit pokey. Time to drop by DTAC and get my SIM upgraded.

20 minutes ago, boonrawdcnx said:

You will need an unlimited package at full speed. (900-1100 Baht a month depending on provider) Then you can watch Netflix without problems. If you buy special add-on packages like most providers offer - you will go through 15GB or more a day watching Netflix or torrents. Just make sure it is at full speed. Read the fine print in the agreement because if the provider finds out that you use torrents e.g. they will cut your speed regardless of the “full speed” package purchased and it becomes useless to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Full speed means nothing if 'full speed' is not available at that location. 

NetFlix can use up to 1 GB per hour. Do you imagine they will be watching for 15 hours per day? ????

Netflix data usage options

Netflix offers four data usage settings to choose from:

Low - 0.3 GB per hour per device

Medium - SD: 0.7 GB per hour per device

I omitted HD usage.

Mobile data usage options

Netflix offers four mobile data usage settings to choose from:

Automatic - Netflix will select a data usage setting that balances data usage with good video quality. Currently this will allow you to watch about 4 hours per GB of data.

Wi-Fi Only - You will only be able to stream on the device while connected to Wi-Fi.

Save Data - Watch about 6 hours per GB of data.

Maximum Data - Recommended only if you have an unlimited data plan. This setting will stream at the highest possible quality for your device and the content you are viewing. This may use 1 GB per 20 minutes or more depending on your device and network speeds.

As for bandwidth needed;

Internet Connection Speed Recommendations

Below are the internet download speed recommendations per stream for playing TV shows and movies through Netflix.

0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed

1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed

3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality

So an unlimited or high volume 4/6/8/10 Mbps package will do. The aforementioned AIS & Truemove H 200 baht deals should cover it.

No need for 'full speed'. Don't get carried away. ????

16 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Good bit of advice there. On a holiday weekend in Hua Hin and finding my normally fast DTAC data a bit pokey. Time to drop by DTAC and get my SIM upgraded.

Is it not a 4G SIM already? 

Maybe you should ask DTAC about it in the first instance. 

Speeds aren't uniform everywhere.

1 hour ago, JamJar said:

It may come down to the speeds available for any particular network at that location.

If, for instance, the max speed at that location for a network is 4 or 5 Mbps, purchasing a higher speed package will do you no good.

If your SIM is newer than those, a temporary new SIM can be a good option.

A new AIS or Truemove H SIM can have a 110 GB/100 GB data package, respectively, added for 200 baht. The speed is capped at 4 Mbps. The AIS SIM also has an extra 90 GB allowance for AIS PLAY.

AIS *777*909# and then the Dial key. Truemove H *900*9605# and then the dial key. The code has to be applied within seven days of activating the SIM and before the end of the 31st of July.

As everyone has said, download it at home with fast connection and play it where ever you go.  Not rocket science.  

7 hours ago, Inn Between said:

Where I am, Netflix allows you to download shows and movies to watch later offline. I assume you can do the same. 

That is what I do. I download Netflix at the public library in the daytime and play it back at night as I have no wifi. It is super easy - at least in the USA.

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

As everyone has said, download it at home with fast connection and play it where ever you go.  Not rocket science.  

Why are you quoting me? I didn't ask the question.

I'm just giving a solution if Internet is needed at the location.. After 7,846 posts, one might imagine you should understand how a forum works.

8 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

It's clearly not 'rocket science' to be able to read and comprehend before replying.

There are two questions.

One was how to going about watching NetFlix on his Tab and the second was about high speed data.

So the first would need instructions on how to go about it. Again here; https://help.netflix.com/en/node/54816

and the second would be a fast enough AIS package. Sometimes they might watch to watch something they haven't pre-downloaded.

Rocket science indeed.

23 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

That is what I do. I download Netflix at the public library in the daytime and play it back at night as I have no wifi. It is super easy - at least in the USA.

Cannot do in THailand due to the lack of public libraries !

13 hours ago, Mikisteel said:

My advice is to download all series of homeland. I just began watching again after a 2 year layoff. Gotta be 7 days worth of a series. Get plenty of rest and wish you a speedy recovery.

Thanks good idea

Archived