'Very unhelpful': Ireland scolds British PM Johnson over Brexit

rooster59

35 minutes ago, kingdong said:

a minority of scots wanted to leave but wanted to have there cake and eat  it  by retaining sterling

Wait for it .

Soon  President D.Trump  visits UK,  at the invite of Trump junior , and visits scotland , with promises .

Mouth and short trousers , will kiss the ground he walks on..555

EU , second prize . Money talks ...

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

After a no deal brexit: all lorries have to be inspected, custom cleared etc.. Probably some time with less flowers available in the UK.

I seem to recall, before we joined the EU, that travel to and from the continent, together with trade, was quite common. I'm sure that it can be after we leave. Given the statistics you quote I am sure that The Netherlands will make sure that the flower trade will continue. I'm also sure that there are, and will be, means and policies to ensure that other trade and travel between Northern Ireland and Eire can continue. I would suggest that the EU's (let's be honest and say that well known Gaullist and Anglophone M. Barnier's) insistence on "calling the shots" on the proposed backstop is more driven by a desire to frustrate the UK's attempt to make a clean break from the EU rather than any real interest in the the "Northern Irish Problem".

The nonsense of imposing a 100% blockade, which others somewhat hysterically proclaim, would in effect, I suggest, constitute an act of war, and any such sanctions would at least require the backing of the UN general assembly. Somehow I doubt whether any European country has the remotest intention of doing so, not even the French, in their most Monty Python inspired Gaullist tantrums,!

18 minutes ago, kingdong said:

a minority of scots wanted to leave but wanted to have there cake and eat  it  by retaining sterling

Again I advise you to search on Internet. 

http://whatscotlandthinks.org/questions/how-would-you-vote-in-the-in-a-scottish-independence-referendum-if-held-now-ask#line

As 59% of the English prefer Brexit ( whatever type and consequences) above the UNITED kingdom… why the Scots and Irish, so unwecomed by their fellow countrymen, should stay ?

And for the Scotish pound:  https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1224903/scottish-independence-gets-boost-hong-kongs-money-markets  Might happen again:  "Exchange booths rate Scottish pound higher than English notes, cheering independence backers amid fight with London on currency "

https://www.scer.scot/database/ident-11728  

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/gbp-live-today/11763-pound-to-euro-and-dollar-outlook-scenarios-general-election  

Scottisch independance 48 No, 46 Yes.jpg

30 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Dutch origin.. together with most of all flowers in the UK. 

Flower import companies in the UK import nearly €198 million worth of roses a year. The Netherlands is the main import partner (85%), which is also the supplier of 65% of the rose import https://www.flowercompanies.com/category/import-GB  

After a no deal brexit: all lorries have to be inspected, custom cleared etc.. Probably some time with less flowers available in the UK.

We managed before 1973....... never had any tulip shortages.

27 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Which Union are you talking about? the EU or Scottish and English one of 1706?

As I understand the Scots want to remain in both...

When I say "our" Union I would have thought it would be blatantly obvious that I was refering to the UK. Don't try to tie yourself in knots, as you know the Scots might want to remain in both but as a Union(UK) we voted to to leave the EU, that was the democratic decision of our Union(UK).

However just because the majority of the Scots voted to to remain in the EU, it doesn't necessary follow that they want to leave our Union(UK), infact as it stands at the moment the majority of the Scots wish to remain within our Union(UK).

So it would appear that when we leave the EU because we voted as a Union(UK) to do so, the Scots as a whole would prefer to remain within our Union(UK) than leave both.

Just now, JAG said:

I seem to recall, before we joined the EU, that travel to and from the continent, together with trade, was quite common ( yes, under the agreement of THAT time) . I'm sure that it can be after we leave.  (YES, with a DEAL !) Given the statistics you quote I am sure that The Netherlands will make sure that the flower trade will continue ( pity for NL, cannot bye-pass EU nor WTO Regulations) . I'm also sure that there are, and will be, means and policies to ensure that other trade and travel between Northern Ireland and Eire can continue  ( Again.. in case of … A DEAL ".) . I would suggest that the EU's (let's be honest and say that well known Gaullist and Anglophone M. Barnier's) insistence on "calling the shots" on the proposed backstop is more driven by a desire to frustrate the UK's attempt to make a clean break from the EU rather than any real interest in the the "Northern Irish Problem". ( I think, Mr Barnier has to take in view the risk of an Irish Republic veto ! Remind: all 27 EU member states have to agree

The nonsense of imposing a 100% blockade ( remind: a NO DEAL means WTO rules, so for everything a custom inspection ( especially vetrinary goods, so a phyto-sanitaty investigation, FSA statements etc no longer final = same value as Chinese Inst of Quality CIQ etc), custom clearance, and.. import duty. Second, as UK has NO DEAL, all need a Schengen visa) , which others somewhat hysterically proclaim, would in effect, I suggest, constitute an act of war, and any such sanctions would at least require the backing of the UN general assembly ( Why ? Same rules as goods from Thailand, China, South Africa, and a LOT of nations, there is no EU trade agreement with ) . Somehow I doubt whether any European country has the remotest intention of doing so, not even the French, in their most Monty Python inspired Gaullist tantrums ! 

12 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Before the UK joined the EU, Mutual trade was under several agreements much easier as a Brexit No Deal 

Second: how do you know ? No investigations nor publications about UK demand and what could be supplied from domestic and import sources.  Think of Thai answer: "solly, no have". 

1 hour ago, dimitriv said:

The EU should throw the UK out, close all borders, block all trade, close the tunnel. Make it an island again, just how they want it.   Most people in the EU have enough of the UK. The sooner they leave the better.

No way !  the English pound is going to collapse, so for EU / €uro citizens cheap to buy UK-made products in UK.

3 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

World Trade Organization (WTO) rules would not prevent trade in flowers or anything else. Nor are WTO rules contingent upon a "deal", in fact WTO rules will come into play specifically because there is no deal! WTO rules would not require or involve the 100% blockade that some propose.

56 minutes ago, kingdong said:

why you getting your knickers in a twist?you don,t live in the uk, a 100% blockade, are you serious? anyway we seemed to manage in ww2 when we bailed out europe.

Thanks to the Americans, the USA, the Yanks, Roosevelt's help, the US navy, army and airforce, the Soviets, who let the Nazi-armies bleed to death, and a lot of stupidities of the Nazi's

39 minutes ago, elliss said:

Fyi , there will be an extension ,  lies nothing new , so boring ..

I  just dont vote anymore , nothing changes.   Nuff said…

Boris the Liar: "no if's and but's: 31 Oct we leave, deal or no deal ! "

4 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

No way !  the English pound is going to collapse, so for EU / €uro citizens cheap to buy UK-made products in UK.

The British Pound, or to give it it's proper title, The Pound Sterling. 

If you are to joyfully predict the demise of something, you might at least attempt to call it by it's proper name, before revelling in the false expectation of so much schadenfreude!

12 minutes ago, JAG said:

GBP proper title , good bog paper . 

Better wait till it bootoms , @ minus thirty .

24 minutes ago, JAG said:

If you are to joyfully predict the demise of something, you might at least attempt to call it by it's proper name, before revelling in the false expectation of so much schadenfreude!

Pound Sterling (silver) ?  That was a very long time ago.

I still remember my hitch-hike trip in 1970 from Dover till Inverness and back: Hfl 10,64 = ONE pound. ( or DM 11,83 / 2 = € 5,91). Now it's worth € 1,12. Making from a "kilo, via a pound into an ounce" ?

Coming back from the North, with SCOTISH pounds in my wallet, I had to discover in Newcastle already these were refused. In 2013 HK traders already gave a different forex-rate for Scotish and less for English pounds, see another comment of mine.

Most important: the irony passed you competely. ( for shopping in the UK, a substantial extra will be transport + accomodation costs, so.. rediculess to go for cheap shopping to the UK. For fun-shopping... that's another situation) 

1 hour ago, kingdong said:

will holland impose sanctions to britain regarding the export of clogs?always fancied a pair,should i buy now to avoid disappointment?

Take care you order British type ( with a stronger left part seen left line traffic )???? 

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

I  fear those days will be a pleasant memory . 

I visited the tulip gardens in Holland many times , in pursuit of the black tulip , not have.

Then i discovered thailand .555

3 hours ago, kingdong said:

if it would have been voted in we would not have left,may never wanted britain to leave and it was obvious towards the end,3 wasted years,all down to mays petty ego

Camerons revenge,, for the  ill informed / stupid ,  who voted for brexit . 

He nominated  May for PM .    She will go down in history as a Muppet.. 

3 hours ago, elliss said:

Or.. the only one who succeeded to get A deal.

Maybe the successor of Boris, Jo Swinson, is invited by  Nicola Sturgeon of the EU member state Scotland to apply again for EU membership. The United Republic of Ireland supports that invitation also.

Oh... and the metric system is allowed again in the HoC. ????????   ( Napoleon will get a hickup in his Dôme des Invalides) 

The Irish are intrinsically racist towards the English. Time to pull the plug on their right of abode in England.  We would not need a back stop if the Irish para military thugs just stopped killing each other. Thats what they are threatening to oppose Brexit. A return to terror. 

14 hours ago, puipuitom said:

You mean these ? ????

Ongoing trade negotiation processes between EU and third countries include:   https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/policies/trade-policy/trade-agreements/

• Japan - a Free Trade Agreement (FTA) which entered into force on 1 February 2019; negotiating directives were adopted in 2012 and deal was ratified end of 2018   ( result: Honda closes its car factory in the UK and returns to Japan)
  • Singapore - split FTA signed on 19 October 2018, to enter into force in 2019; negotiating directives were adopted under ASEAN, the Association of South East Asian Nations, in 2007
  • Vietnam - split FTA signed on 30 June 2019; negotiating directives were adopted under ASEAN in 2007  

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/infographics/  

State of EU trade 2018.jpg

Ha ha ha!! and do you think for one minute that most will also not want to trade with UK, think again..!!!

6 hours ago, elliss said:

easy tiger,you,re 6,000 miles away from GREAT [ONCE WE LEAVE] BRITAIN, 5 years down the line the eu will be in turmoil and britain will look increasingly like a safe haven.

6 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

The Irish are intrinsically racist towards the English. Time to pull the plug on their right of abode in England.  We would not need a back stop if the Irish para military thugs just stopped killing each other. Thats what they are threatening to oppose Brexit. A return to terror. 

It’s difficult to defend accusations of ignorance as being unfounded slurs when nonsense like this turn up.

17 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

so 80% want to keep the Euro, "TALK of Lira return" Where is this parallel currency now?

Let me borrow you a pair of glasses or even better read the whole post. Firstly, the poster said nobody wanted to leave the euro in Italy. That has been debunked.

Secondly. here were the glasses are needed. Hope that has helped.

Twenty percent want to bring back the lira, while 64 percent think Italy should stick with the euro, the Piepoli Institute said this week.

15 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Let me borrow you a pair of glasses or even better read the whole post. Firstly, the poster said nobody wanted to leave the euro in Italy. That has been debunked.

Secondly. here were the glasses are needed. Hope that has helped.

Twenty percent want to bring back the lira, while 64 percent think Italy should stick with the euro, the Piepoli Institute said this week.

The Euro is keeping Italy floating, for quite a few years already. Sure there are people wanting the Lire back in all countries, including Italy. I think though you will find quite a few of them in more Northern countries, where the economies are much healthier than they are in the South.

But we're getting off topic here.

Archived