'Very unhelpful': Ireland scolds British PM Johnson over Brexit

rooster59

14 hours ago, puipuitom said:

so.. make it yourself. 

First I have to find advocaat. The closest place to me is Khampaeng Phet city some 65 km away from me. I do have some Stroh 80 proof rum from Austria. When I take it with real Coke it tastes like rum and raisin ice cream.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

First I have to find advocaat. The closest place to me is Khampaeng Phet city some 65 km away from me. I do have some Stroh 80 proof rum from Austria. When I take it with real Coke it tastes like rum and raisin ice cream.

You are good at making things Bill, have a go at advocaat, takes 15 minutes.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/traditional-dutch-advocaat-liqueur-recipe-1128594

7 hours ago, puipuitom said:

Or.. the only one who succeeded to get A deal.

Maybe the successor of Boris, Jo Swinson, is invited by  Nicola Sturgeon of the EU member state Scotland to apply again for EU membership. The United Republic of Ireland supports that invitation also.

Oh... and the metric system is allowed again in the HoC. ????????   ( Napoleon will get a hickup in his Dôme des Invalides) 

You are quite correct that she got a deal which was accepted in 27 EU countries.

The 28th country, ironically for her was the UK which rejected her deal not just once or twice, but three times. That is why she was booted out.

Now Boris Johnson is the PM and has a pro Brexit cabinet he is perfectly entitled to offer the EU a different deal. If they reject it as IMHO they will then the UK will leave on 31st October with no deal. They take the deal, discuss it, play with it or reject it, that is up to them,

From what Boris has said, he wants the Northern Ireland back stop removed entirely. If the EU still insists on keeping it the there is no deal and the UK still leaves on 31st October. The choice is theirs.

15 minutes ago, vogie said:

You are good at making things Bill, have a go at advocaat, takes 15 minutes.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/traditional-dutch-advocaat-liqueur-recipe-1128594

Plus a 130 km 2 hour round trip.

If I remember I will put it on my shopping list for the next trip. If BigC doesn't have it I can probably get some in Tops at Robinsons. There it will be a choice of which arm or leg has to be sacrificed to pay the bill.

3 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

And Gove has said this this morning

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49141375

Nothing wrong in forward planning for the worst case. TM should have been doing this in parallel with the discussions from the very start.

Common sense 101.

Quote from the BBC link

"Mr Gove said tweaks to Theresa May's withdrawal agreement - which was approved by the EU but resoundingly rejected by Parliament - would not be enough.

"You can't just reheat the dish that's been sent back and expect that will make it more palatable," he wrote.

He added he hoped EU leaders might yet open up to the idea of striking a new deal, "but we must operate on the assumption that they will not".

"While we are optimistic about the future, we are realistic about the need to plan for every eventuality."

26 minutes ago, billd766 said:

"You can't just reheat the dish that's been sent back and expect that will make it more palatable," he wrote.

Clearly his great leader Boris does not agree.

Boris voted against the negotiated deal twice.

And voted for the same deal once.

Seems like the great leader swings both ways.

7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There's going to be no 'give' about it. 

And certainly not with the DUP propping up the Tory Government. 

I know but if they held an Ireland wide referendum I'm pretty sure unity would win. Having it sectionalised is a left over from old colonial days and it would solve the backstop issue.

15 hours ago, puipuitom said:

Pound Sterling (silver) ?  That was a very long time ago.

I still remember my hitch-hike trip in 1970 from Dover till Inverness and back: Hfl 10,64 = ONE pound. ( or DM 11,83 / 2 = € 5,91). Now it's worth € 1,12. Making from a "kilo, via a pound into an ounce" ?

Coming back from the North, with SCOTISH pounds in my wallet, I had to discover in Newcastle already these were refused. In 2013 HK traders already gave a different forex-rate for Scotish and less for English pounds, see another comment of mine.

Most important: the irony passed you competely. ( for shopping in the UK, a substantial extra will be transport + accomodation costs, so.. rediculess to go for cheap shopping to the UK. For fun-shopping... that's another situation) 

1. Sterling silver is a totally different thing to the Pound Sterling. One (Sterling Silver) is a measure of the degree of purity of a silver alloy, the other (Pound Sterling) is the correct name for the currency of the United Kingdom. There is no such thing as a "Scotish" pound (sic), or an "English" pound.

2 Neither Sterling Silver nor the Pound Sterling have any connection with weights, which rather negates your convoluted mathematical formula, which I confess I do not understand. The weight of precious metals, such as silver, is expressed in "Troy ounces" - A troy ounce is a unit of measure used for weighing precious metals that dates back to the Middle Ages. Originally used in Troyes, France, one troy ounce is equal to 31.1034768 gram. As an aside, I am fascinated that in your account of your trip to Inverness you feel the need to convert Guilders (Hfl) to Deutschmarks - surely you were not an economic colony of Germany back then?

3. Whilst Scottish, and indeed Northern Irish banks may issue Sterling banknotes, they are not actually legal tender in England. They are, by convention, usually accepted within England, but there is no legal requirement to do so. We tend to do rather a lot of things "by convention" rather than "by instruction"; you may have noticed, we have quite a deep rooted objection to being told how to conduct our affairs by the chap with the loudest voice in the neighbourhood. That Hong Kong foreign exchange traders became confused and for a period offered higher exchange rates for such banknotes is neither here nor there,

4. On the matter of "Irony passing people by", I assume that you are unaware that the habit of writing commentaries on other peoples thoughts in green ink, (which you were doing rather a lot last night) is normally ascribed to mildly apoplectic retired Colonels in the home counties, who often sign their letters of outrage to The Daily Telegraph, written in green ink, as "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells", Perhaps you are "Disgusted of Den Helder"? Or did the Irony pass you by?

51 minutes ago, JAG said:

We tend to do rather a lot of things "by convention" rather than "by instruction"; you may have noticed, we have quite a deep rooted objection to being told how to conduct our affairs by the chap with the loudest voice in the neighbourhood.

For me, this sums up so much of the issue with the EU. In the UK for hundreds of years we have enjoyed freedoms that Europeans never had under their numerous principalities, kingdoms and empires. Many Europeans were only 'free' insofar as their laws gave them specific permissions to be, whereas we lived under "Ain't no law against it." 

The federasts and Remainers seem to long for the superstate, with its' super-regulation. It didn't work for the soviet bloc and won't for the eurobloc either. Best we get out of it. 

30 minutes ago, Loiner said:

For me, this sums up so much of the issue with the EU. In the UK for hundreds of years we have enjoyed freedoms that Europeans never had under their numerous principalities, kingdoms and empires. Many Europeans were only 'free' insofar as their laws gave them specific permissions to be, whereas we lived under "Ain't no law against it." 

The federasts and Remainers seem to long for the superstate, with its' super-regulation. It didn't work for the soviet bloc and won't for the eurobloc either. Best we get out of it. 

You're showing a great lack of knowledge of Europe.

9 minutes ago, stevenl said:

You're showing a great lack of knowledge of Europe.

On the contrary, I would say it is a reasonable thumbnail sketch of the "way ahead" in Europe'

Germany will speak, La France will nod her head vigorously in agreement and everyone else will have little option other than to do what they have been told...

After all, in the recent "election" for the post of President of The European Commission there was only one candidate on the ballot paper, a German, whose candidacy had been agreed by the Chancellor of Germany and the President of The French Republic! 

????

8 minutes ago, JAG said:

On the contrary, I would say it is a reasonable thumbnail sketch of the "way ahead" in Europe'

Germany will speak, La France will nod her head vigorously in agreement and everyone else will have little option other than to do what they have been told...

After all, in the recent "election" for the post of President of The European Commission there was only one candidate on the ballot paper, a German, whose candidacy had been agreed by the Chancellor of Germany and the President of The French Republic! 

????

That is your opinion, a projection of the way the EU is heading.

However the post I reacted to stated this, which is not a projection of the way the EU is heading but past tense " In the UK for hundreds of years we have enjoyed freedoms that Europeans never had under their numerous principalities, kingdoms and empires. Many Europeans were only 'free' insofar as their laws gave them specific permissions to be, whereas we lived under "Ain't no law against it."  ". Which is showing a lack of knowledge of Europe.

18 minutes ago, stevenl said:

However the post I reacted to stated this, which is not a projection of the way the EU is heading but past tense " In the UK for hundreds of years we have enjoyed freedoms that Europeans never had under their numerous principalities, kingdoms and empires. Many Europeans were only 'free' insofar as their laws gave them specific permissions to be, whereas we lived under "Ain't no law against it."  ". Which is showing a lack of knowledge of Europe.

And went on to state (using the present simple and future simple tenses); "The federasts and Remainers seem to long for the superstate, with its' super-regulation. It didn't work for the soviet bloc and won't for the eurobloc either. Best we get out of it. "

19 minutes ago, stevenl said:

The UK still has folk alive with the scars of your Europe, many of the EU countries sided with Germany to form Their axis...They did so probably out of fear but also to become "something"...That all backfired didn't it....?

There are some sensible folk out there that voted to leave because they could see the writing on the wall...

1 hour ago, Loiner said:

Yes you are so right. Most of Europe are so use to taking orders from someone, they don't even know when they are being told what to do, they believe its from themselves. It is no wonder they feel the EU is their saviour. very sad indeed. 

Taking it up the Garry has a new meaning.

2 minutes ago, transam said:

The UK still has folk alive with the scars of your Europe, many of the EU countries sided with Germany to form Their axis...They did so probably out of fear but also to become "something"...That all backfired didn't it....?

There are some sensible folk out there that voted to leave because they could see the writing on the wall...

I believe also they had a bit of backbone and know that although it isn't a world war, this time. It is Germany telling people what to do with a view to monetary, industrial, regulatory and social control. Describes the EU down to a tee.

11 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I believe also they had a bit of backbone and know that although it isn't a world war, this time. It is Germany telling people what to do with a view to monetary, industrial, regulatory and social control. Describes the EU down to a tee.

19 hours ago, JAG said:

on the proposed backstop is more driven by a desire to frustrate the UK's attempt to make a clean break from the EU rather than any real interest in the the "Northern Irish Problem".

Every decision made by the EU must be supported by all countries in the EU. That backstop could be the wish of only 1 country with an interest to prevent a new border. And that is also why Boris has no chance with his new proposal.

35 minutes ago, transam said:

Sure mate, bring WWII in it as a reason to get out of the EU.

40 minutes ago, JAG said:

And went on to state (using the present simple and future simple tenses); "The federasts and Remainers seem to long for the superstate, with its' super-regulation. It didn't work for the soviet bloc and won't for the eurobloc either. Best we get out of it. "

Again, that is a projection. I don't agree with that, but don't object to it. It is an opinion, not more, not less. But his reasoning was based on a completely lack of knowledge of European history.

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Sure mate, bring WWII in it as a reason to get out of the EU.

Again, that is a projection. I don't agree with that, but don't object to it. It is an opinion, not more, not less. But his reasoning was based on a completely lack of knowledge of European history.

We tried the EU but it is sliding towards German control, anyone can see that, and the rest are standing to attention.

Archived