'Very unhelpful': Ireland scolds British PM Johnson over Brexit

rooster59

1 hour ago, dimitriv said:

Every decision made by the EU must be supported by all countries in the EU. That backstop could be the wish of only 1 country with an interest to prevent a new border. And that is also why Boris has no chance with his new proposal.

That is no longer true and will become even less true.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Ha ha ha!! and do you think for one minute that most will also not want to trade with UK, think again..!!!

Of course... and just like baker Johnson thinks, he gets better condities at Tesco, Sainsbury, Asda, Morrisson as big Industrial bread etc suppliers..

How you think the EU with 450 mln consumers will respond when the UK with 67 mln consumers get a better deal ?

7 hours ago, billd766 said:

You are quite correct that she got a deal which was accepted in 27 EU countries.

The 28th country, ironically for her was the UK which rejected her deal not just once or twice, but three times. That is why she was booted out.

Now Boris Johnson is the PM and has a pro Brexit cabinet he is perfectly entitled to offer the EU a different deal. If they reject it as IMHO they will then the UK will leave on 31st October with no deal. They take the deal, discuss it, play with it or reject it, that is up to them,

From what Boris has said, he wants the Northern Ireland back stop removed entirely. If the EU still insists on keeping it the there is no deal and the UK still leaves on 31st October. The choice is theirs.

So, when a "leaver" insists his former club gives him still a lot of preferences, his club has to accept ?

The EU will NEVER betray Eire as the English betray their N-Irish colony in just 20 years already: the value of an English agreement

3 hours ago, JAG said:

On the contrary, I would say it is a reasonable thumbnail sketch of the "way ahead" in Europe'

Germany will speak, La France will nod her head vigorously in agreement and everyone else will have little option other than to do what they have been told...

After all, in the recent "election" for the post of President of The European Commission there was only one candidate on the ballot paper, a German, whose candidacy had been agreed by the Chancellor of Germany and the President of The French Republic! 

????

Read EU regulations: the president of the EU Commission ( a kind of ministers) is appointed by the EU council = the heads of governments of all the EU member states. That's why quite some days were spent to negociate an unanimous - for the outside - supported candidate.

The EU parliament has ONLY and not more as a Veto right. ( Whatever they might say in election rethoric) 

3 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

So, when a "leaver" insists his former club gives him still a lot of preferences, his club has to accept ?

The EU will NEVER betray Eire as the English betray their N-Irish colony in just 20 years already: the value of an English agreement

"So, when a "leaver" insists his former club gives him still a lot of preferences, his club has to accept ?"

When the former member is still buying goods from his former club, it makes sense that the former club would or even should bend over backwards and give the former member special privileges. Either that or the club stands to sink into liquidation.

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

That is no longer true and will become even less true.

Can you explain ?  The first thing is just the law, and the second part is already decided about.

I'm really curious about what this is going to be. I do not believe that the UK will be able to independently conclude good treaties with other countries. Those other countries all know what position the Uk is in. And trade with the EU will go down considerably.

I predict recession, collapse. And people who come here in a few months to complain that they only get 1 Baht for their GBP ????

On 7/27/2019 at 3:41 AM, vogie said:

Are you saying that we should take the views of terrorists over the majority of voters that voted to leave the EU, I don't think democracy works like that.

The 'boys' will be on call up for active service - like the TA over here. And then we will see if the arm dumps were actually put beyond use as per the Good Friday Agreement. We better get recruiting for the army and security services soon as they are very busy on wars in muslim lands and tracking islamic terrorists here. Spain might just seal the border with Gibraltar as well - no-one voted for that. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decommissioning_in_Northern_Ireland

4 hours ago, dimitriv said:

Can you explain ?  The first thing is just the law, and the second part is already decided about.

I'm really curious about what this is going to be. I do not believe that the UK will be able to independently conclude good treaties with other countries. Those other countries all know what position the Uk is in. And trade with the EU will go down considerably.

I predict recession, collapse. And people who come here in a few months to complain that they only get 1 Baht for their GBP ????

Increasingly QMV (qualified majority voting) is being used by the EU as a means to bypass the wishes of single member states. This has already affected the UK but also affects others as in the case of taxes on foreign corporations in the example linked below:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/eu-tax-policy-veto-scrap-european-commission-brexit-ireland-a8729396.html 

The Irish land border problem was recognized early on but seems to have has become an even harder issue after Varadkar came to power and after Barnier has used it and EU Law for hard leverage. After that any other options have not been discussed much and it seems that whatever resolution may be found it certainly won't please a lot of people, on one side or the other. A bad situation but good example of how tangled the EU web has become and why it is so difficult for the UK to exit the EU in an orderly fashion.  

A good story about the history of this from October 2018 FT linked below:

https://www.ft.com/content/73ac4a5c-d83f-11e8-a854-33d6f82e62f8 

Your prediction may be correct but it will include the EU as a whole if it happens. It seems that a global crash is coming soon anyway, so now is probably the best time to Brexit.   

6 hours ago, nauseus said:

Increasingly QMV (qualified majority voting) is being used by the EU as a means to bypass the wishes of single member states.

Isn't this what Brexit is about ?  52% of the population makes a decision that will harm not only themselves but everybody in the UK ?

Only a couple of % of the votes, where the difference was made by people who are standing already with 1 leg in their graves ?

5 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

Isn't this what Brexit is about ?  52% of the population makes a decision that will harm not only themselves but everybody in the UK ?

Only a couple of % of the votes, where the difference was made by people who are standing already with 1 leg in their graves ?

That's what a democratic binary referendum does. there is a winner and loser. You accept the result and move on. Which country are you from, so we can get an understanding of what you think democracy is.

21 hours ago, stevenl said:

The Euro is keeping Italy floating, for quite a few years already. Sure there are people wanting the Lire back in all countries, including Italy. I think though you will find quite a few of them in more Northern countries, where the economies are much healthier than they are in the South.

But we're getting off topic here.

Italy has been kept afloat for a long time before the Euro, When I was living in Germany then I can remember the German government having to guarantee the Italien oil imports with the DM otherwise nobody would sell oil to them.

4 hours ago, dimitriv said:

You are talking about different things. In the UK, binary referendums can be won with any majority. 

And every citizen of voting age gets one vote, even if they have one foot in the grave!

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Italy has been kept afloat for a long time before the Euro, When I was living in Germany then I can remember the German government having to guarantee the Italien oil imports with the DM otherwise nobody would sell oil to them.

Ooh really? Why were they allowed to adopt the Euro then? 

On 7/27/2019 at 2:15 PM, Basil B said:

Can you please supply a link that quotes where the current leaders of the LibDem and Green Party actually said they would not accept the result of a second referendum if it were "Leave"?

You are just spreading Brexiteers misinformation again.

What misinformation? A fellow poster has beaten me to the punch by already referencing the source of Caroline Lucas's embarrassing performance. 

Enjoy the equally cringe-worthy spectacle of Jo Swinson trying to talk out of both sides of her fatuous mouth at the same time here:

https://order-order.com/2019/07/23/jo-swinson-wont-accept-result-second-referendum/

21 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Dominic Raab but you can't resist a pop can you?  Johnson has only been in the job a few days and we have yet to see if he's 'the idiot' you predict.

5 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Dominic Raab but you can't resist a pop can you?  Johnson has only been in the job a few days and we have yet to see if he's 'the idiot' you predict.

A packet of kippers will tell you he hasn't took to the job.

Just now, transam said:

Haven't you set sail yet....? ????

Around early October as long as the EU hasn't sunk,4 years ago it only had 3 years left,I might have to change coarse for issan to reap the rewards of the mighty pound,haha 

17 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I’m waiting for evidence Johnson is not the idiot his past demonstrates him to be.

As PM he is responsible for government policy.

On 7/27/2019 at 6:19 PM, Baerboxer said:

Hmmm. So you vote for something for which you have no clue about the details, the likely consequences or the complexities. When these become clearer, no one is allowed another vote because the ardent Brexiters won one and don't ever want another.

Sounds like the educated Brexiter's logic.

Shame we never got the chance to vote on the current "deal" in the 2016 Referendum. If we had, you and Ms Swinson and Lucas would probably have ended up the only Remainers on the planet.

Bet they'd still demand a second referendum and refuse to accept the result unless it was Remain.

And you complain about Brexiteer logic. . ! 

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

Like they had the option. Funny.

Greece also chose the euro after all the waffle about returning to the drachma,englanders chose the pound even when it was worth €1.42 oh dear,never mind,billions lost but who cares ???????? remember the good old days when you could go to holland/belguim and buy a RH drive car and import it and save £1000s ????   all history now

41 minutes ago, bomber said:

Greece also chose the euro after all the waffle about returning to the drachma,englanders chose the pound even when it was worth €1.42 oh dear,never mind,billions lost but who cares ???????? remember the good old days when you could go to holland/belguim and buy a RH drive car and import it and save £1000s ????   all history now

Yes, we can all see what a hit the Euro has been for Greece.

Works for me.  Wales is also entitled to have a referendum as to whether it would prefer to separate - and be part of the eu, rather than the uk.

Somehow I doubt this will work in the remainers' favour, bearing in mind the Welsh voters also largely voted to 'leave'.

Not to mention the eu isn't showing any genuine enthusiasm towards a separate Scotland, so likely far less enthusiasm towards a separate Wales....

Archived