How much you pay for mobile internet?

gaviolit

8 hours ago, shdmn said:

Those unadvertised promotions are probably useless for most people.  First of all it only works for new SIMs.  And since you cannot transfer your existing phone number you cannot keep the same phone number.  And if you are just getting off the plane and trying to do this at the booth at the airport good luck with that.  If they wouldn't tell me how to do this, or even acknowledge it's possible, at the AIS office, I doubt they will do it at the airport where they are used to dealing with gullible tourists all day.

So about the only thing I can see it useful for is if you are ONLY using the SIM for data and want to keep jumping through hoops to renew every month because the codes probably change every month or maybe you might even need to buy a new SIM every month.  Even if they don't do that now, no guarantee they won't in the future.  Only 50 baht for a new basic SIM with no prepackaged addons but still, it's a hassle to have to go into the office with your passport to get that SIM.   So they don't make it easy to try take advantage of this promotion.

Negative much? Seems you are not happy in Thailand. Yes you need to have your passport/ID to register a SIM in Thailand, so what is your point there?

It has also been made clear from, what I have read, that the new SIM promotions do not work with the SIM for tourists sold at the airport booths, so why would you try it there?

I have also seen that you have been told that you cannot port your number on the same network. So why would you expect AIS to tell you how to do this?

Then your rant about changing codes every month, when it is also clear that the promo auto renews for twelve months. So why would you need to worry about changing codes?

Sorry mate, but this seems to be all about you and nothing to do with SIMs and the promotions at all.

It seems that you just want things how you want them and you are unhappy that you cannot get exactly what you want, when you want it.

Useless for you does not equate to useless for most people. It just means you.

How do you know that most people are not happy to buy a new SIM in order to get a load of data for a cheap price?

It seems that you are not happy, full stop.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, phungo said:
8 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Anyone can buy the sim off Lazada but you will probably need your passport to register/enable it .

to register/enable it, I can do it at the shops at the airport?

Obviously you are writing about Truemove H and not AIS. 

Either way, you can register it at any official outlet. Airport too, since you will be buying credit from them.

But it looks like just a normal Truemove H SIM. So she can just pick one up from 7-Eleven, on the way to meet you at the airport.

11 hours ago, shdmn said:

Those unadvertised promotions are probably useless for most people.  First of all it only works for new SIMs.  And since you cannot transfer your existing phone number you cannot keep the same phone number.

My GF is using the promotion for 100THB from True with a sim card (number) which is nearly two years old.

11 hours ago, shdmn said:

So about the only thing I can see it useful for is if you are ONLY using the SIM for data and want to keep jumping through hoops to renew every month because the codes probably change every month or maybe you might even need to buy a new SIM every month.

At least for the True promotion, once you use the code it automatically renews for 12 months, you just have to make sure you have the required balance on your sim card every month when the renewal is due

12 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Negative much? Seems you are not happy in Thailand. Yes you need to have your passport/ID to register a SIM in Thailand, so what is your point there?

It has also been made clear from, what I have read, that the new SIM promotions do not work with the SIM for tourists sold at the airport booths, so why would you try it there?

I have also seen that you have been told that you cannot port your number on the same network. So why would you expect AIS to tell you how to do this?

Then your rant about changing codes every month, when it is also clear that the promo auto renews for twelve months. So why would you need to worry about changing codes?

Sorry mate, but this seems to be all about you and nothing to do with SIMs and the promotions at all.

It seems that you just want things how you want them and you are unhappy that you cannot get exactly what you want, when you want it.

Useless for you does not equate to useless for most people. It just means you.

How do you know that most people are not happy to buy a new SIM in order to get a load of data for a cheap price?

It seems that you are not happy, full stop.

Is that you "I'm taking my ball and going home" JamJar?

You can get The ONE SIM (the 50baht AIS SIM) at the airport.  They just won't tell you about it. The Telco's intentionally try to make this stuff confusing and difficult to find out about. So it should not come as a surprise that there is a lot of confusion about it.

10 hours ago, jackdd said:

My GF is using the promotion for 100THB from True with a sim card (number) which is nearly two years old.

At least for the True promotion, once you use the code it automatically renews for 12 months, you just have to make sure you have the required balance on your sim card every month when the renewal is due

How does that help someone with an existing phone number they do not want to have to change?  The key point is that anyone wanting to start taking advantage of this will need a new SIM and therefore a new number.  Unless there is some way to transfer a phone number between SIMs.  As far as I can tell there isn't.  At least not with AIS.  

And they don't want tourists doing this so good luck trying to set yourself up with this at the airport or even at the AIS office.  I tried and the guy refused to even acknowledge this was possible. 

I could have just gotten the ONE AIS SIM for 50 baht and done it myself but I didn't want to change my phone number.  I also have a few hundred baht credit which I don't think I could transfer to the new SIM.

Obviously you are writing about Truemove H and not AIS. 
Either way, you can register it at any official outlet. Airport too, since you will be buying credit from them.
But it looks like just a normal Truemove H SIM. So she can just pick one up from 7-Eleven, on the way to meet you at the airport.

my cousin bought this AIS sim from lazada and will bring it to the airport for me.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ais-4mbps-32gb-128kbps-12-100-sim-i343138718-s667160280.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.73d45684aMMluF&search=1

I then take the SIM to the AIS booth at the airport to register it with my passport?

6 hours ago, shdmn said:

How does that help someone with an existing phone number they do not want to have to change?  The key point is that anyone wanting to start taking advantage of this will need a new SIM and therefore a new number.

I see, i didn't write it 100% clearly:

My GF has the same sim card since about two years. Last month she started using the True 30GB for 100THB promotion, no new sim card required.

8 hours ago, phungo said:

my cousin bought this AIS sim from lazada and will bring it to the airport for me.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ais-4mbps-32gb-128kbps-12-100-sim-i343138718-s667160280.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.73d45684aMMluF&search=1

I then take the SIM to the AIS booth at the airport to register it with my passport?

Sigh....

It is just a normal SIM on which they will top up 100 baht and then send it to you. As I told, your cousin could have picked up any old AIS/TruemoveH/DTAC SIM. They all have similar promos for 100 baht per month.

From what I have seen, on another board, with any new SIM you have the choice of 32 GB, 45 GB, 60 GB, 110 GB and 140 GB. So you've only succeeded in locking yourself in to a specific package. 

The airport booth might not be that helpful, since you will not purchase anything from them. But I guess they will be duty bound to help you.

Sigh....

It is just a normal SIM on which they will top up 100 baht and then send it to you. As I told, your cousin could have picked up any old AIS/TruemoveH/DTAC SIM. They all have similar promos for 100 baht per month.
From what I have seen, on another board, with any new SIM you have the choice of 32 GB, 45 GB, 60 GB, 110 GB and 140 GB. So you've only succeeded in locking yourself in to a specific package. 
The airport booth might not be that helpful, since you will not purchase anything from them. But I guess they will be duty bound to help you.
ahh thanks for the explanation.

is it really 32GB per month? (with other packages even higher to 140GB per month?) These huge GB per month numbers makes little sense to me.

How can people even use this much unless you stream YouTube every waking minute?

4 hours ago, phungo said:

is it really 32GB per month? (with other packages even higher to 140GB per month?) These huge GB per month numbers makes little sense to me.

How can people even use this much unless you stream YouTube every waking minute?

60 mns video is easily 1GO already, so it means 30gb for just 1 hour video daily...

what are you talking about ?!

5 hours ago, phungo said:

It is capped at a maximum speed of 4 Mbps(0.5 MB/s)

5 hours ago, phungo said:

Depends on how you use it and how long you will stay. You might use it to connect your laptop to the Internet, for an instance.

But yes, 32 GB with AIS for 100 baht, plus the cost of the SIM card, usually 50 baht.

On 8/4/2019 at 8:20 AM, JamJar said:

It probably worth the pointing out that DTAC also has a similar new SIM promo;

Buy a new SIM and within seven days, apply;

*104*430# for 31 GB @ 4 Mbps, 100 baht per month. 

*104*100# for 101 GB @ 4 Mbps, 200 baht per month. 

*104*131# for 131 GB @ 4 Mbps, 250 baht per month.

If you have an existing DTAC SIM and it was activated before the 1st of March, you can still avail yourself of unlimited data capped speed packages;

90 days of 1 Mbps 802.50 baht *104*591#

90 days of 4 Mbps 1284 baht *104*594#

90 days of 10 Mbps 1926 baht *104*598#

Thanks for this.

I'm not landing just yet. Any idea what the promotion date cutoff on these are? Would these still be valid in November? I have one old SIM, and usually use an extra for data. I should have kept the extra one active, but didn't think they'd cut off newer SIMs. Glad I kept one going, at least.

What's the point of the Lazada listings? There's one DTAC for 129 Baht for 4 mbps and 31 Gb pet month. Why sell the SIM like that if you can use any SIM and activate the package? Unless the SIM was activated before 1st of March?

I have an old AIS Prepaid Tourist SIM and the codes posted here for this month do NOT work.  So what I can tell you for sure with first hand knowledge is that any old SIM will NOT work.  At least not on AIS.

To be fair to "I'm taking my ball and going home" JamJar, who is probably just posting here under a different username, he basically said that.  But now some other people have posted here incorrectly indicating any SIM will work and muddying the waters again.

5 hours ago, shdmn said:

I have an old AIS Prepaid Tourist SIM and the codes posted here for this month do NOT work.  So what I can tell you for sure with first hand knowledge is that any old SIM will NOT work.  At least not on AIS.

To be fair to "I'm taking my ball and going home" JamJar, who is probably just posting here under a different username, he basically said that.  But now some other people have posted here incorrectly indicating any SIM will work and muddying the waters again.

It doesn't matter how many times you are told, you then act as if you weren't told it in the first place.

Posting under another username?? 

To be honest, I don't think you are playing with a full pack.

Where has anyone written that they work "with any old SIM"?

Every time I have listed those codes, I have stated that they do not work with Tourist SIM.

Tourist SIM is not a normal SIM.

Go back to post #71 and you will see it for yourself. Every time you are instructed to do one thing, you do something else and then complain that you were told to do that something else, when you clearly were not.

Your problem is that you cross post on every thread that you can find. So you forget where to look for the answers you were given. Bumping threads even if they are months old. 

For these reasons, you are now permanently on ignore.

For the reasons of ungrateful people like yourself and your unpleasant posts and accusations(redacted since I am not allowed to comment about moderation) I will not be posting any new offers to this forum.

That will be my last word on the matter. 

Have a nice day.

13 hours ago, goldmagpie said:

Thanks for this.

I'm not landing just yet. Any idea what the promotion date cutoff on these are? Would these still be valid in November? I have one old SIM, and usually use an extra for data. I should have kept the extra one active, but didn't think they'd cut off newer SIMs. Glad I kept one going, at least.

What's the point of the Lazada listings? There's one DTAC for 129 Baht for 4 mbps and 31 Gb pet month. Why sell the SIM like that if you can use any SIM and activate the package? Unless the SIM was activated before 1st of March?

The codes I posted are for the benefit of distributors in order to sell product. So they can package them in any way they want.

I just gave the forum members the benefit of being able to do it for themselves. It was clearly too much responsibility for some.

So unfortunately, because of a few miscreants, it has become more of an irritation than a pleasure to help the people here. So I won't be doing it any more.

Since some think they know better, they can take up the slack.

3 hours ago, JamJar said:

It doesn't matter how many times you are told, you then act as if you weren't told it in the first place.

Posting under another username?? 

To be honest, I don't think you are playing with a full pack.

Where has anyone written that they work "with any old SIM"?

Every time I have listed those codes, I have stated that they do not work with Tourist SIM.

Tourist SIM is not a normal SIM.

Go back to post #71 and you will see it for yourself. Every time you are instructed to do one thing, you do something else and then complain that you were told to do that something else, when you clearly were not.

Your problem is that you cross post on every thread that you can find. So you forget where to look for the answers you were given. Bumping threads even if they are months old. 

For these reasons, you are now permanently on ignore.

For the reasons of ungrateful people like yourself and your unpleasant posts and accusations(redacted since I am not allowed to comment about moderation) I will not be posting any new offers to this forum.

That will be my last word on the matter. 

Have a nice day.

I thought you were taking your ball and going home?  But instead you can't resist coming back to talking down to people.  And please STOP trying to make things up about what I said or didn't say.

5 hours ago, JamJar said:

The codes I posted are for the benefit of distributors in order to sell product. So they can package them in any way they want.

I just gave the forum members the benefit of being able to do it for themselves. It was clearly too much responsibility for some.

So unfortunately, because of a few miscreants, it has become more of an irritation than a pleasure to help the people here. So I won't be doing it any more.

Since some think they know better, they can take up the slack.

I would appreciate a page somewhere you're allowed to link to with explanations of this plus codes (the codes work even without affiliate codes. I tested that out successfully last winter). You or people who appreciate your work could then link to it. Any discussion on this forum would be up to you to contribute to or not. I would suggest only responding with clarifications on your own page, not here, since it clearly stresses you.

6 hours ago, goldmagpie said:

I would appreciate a page somewhere you're allowed to link to with explanations of this plus codes (the codes work even without affiliate codes. I tested that out successfully last winter). You or people who appreciate your work could then link to it. Any discussion on this forum would be up to you to contribute to or not. I would suggest only responding with clarifications on your own page, not here, since it clearly stresses you.

It's not stress. I just choose to contribute no longer. That means, no new links. 

Old links are still up. You are welcome to search them out.

Archived