BANGKOK
BurgerGung

Has anyone tried switching to Vegetarian food for 2 weeks?

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

I just saw that on myth-busters and yes plants seem to have consciousness (at least some proof for it)

Actually there is lots of research & especially from 2014 onwards

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Nah plants are not sentient. Anyway no point trying to convince you either you feel compassion or you don't. Period.

Actually you should watch myth busters it was entertaining there seemed to be some evidence and they are not the only one who have said so. Having said that not sure where i stand on that but it was interesting to see. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, robblok said:

Actually you should watch myth busters it was entertaining there seemed to be some evidence and they are not the only one who have said so. Having said that not sure where i stand on that but it was interesting to see. 

Not just myth buster type shows but tons of scientific studies where plants were wired.

Plants can even be put under by local anesthetic, responds to noise, can learn patterns

actually not surprised to learn they are highly intelligent when one considers the cycles & messages they send to bees or other insects etc etc

Here is just a few of hundreds of studies

Pollan says that really freaks people out — "that the line between plants and animals might be a little softer than we traditionally think of it as."

https://www.pri.org/stories/2014-01-09/new-research-plant-intelligence-may-forever-change-how-you-think-about-plants

One scientist injected fir trees with radioactive carbon isotopes and saw that within a few days the carbon had been sent from tree to tree until every tree in the 30-meter-square area was connected. The scientist learned that the mature trees "communicated" to the network to share nutrients through their root systems to feed nearby seedlings until they were tall enough to take in light for themselves

https://science.howstuffworks.com/life/botany/plants-feel-pain.htm

Edited by mania
  • Haha 1

Just being alive causes pain and suffering - is the Buddhist way of teaching.   

• Like 1

I gave up meat for 9 months once and felt so much better. Previously always felt tired, but when I cut meat out that went away and felt far more alert and generally healthier.

Then I met someone now a good mate who was a butcher - a 4th generation butcher who was giving up the game (in UK) as he disagreed with all the red tape and the crap that his suppliers were feeding their animals in order to artificially bulk them up (and you eat that). However buying decent stuff for what was a village butchers was unsustainable as everyone wants it as cheap as possible and sod the quality (or consequences)

Only relapsed as a bacon and tomato (brown sauce) sandwich wafted up my nose in a pub and in a moment of weakness which shames me to this day, I had to have it !!!

Very rarely eat red meat and generally as little meat as I can - its not healthy food, we don't need it and IMO directly contributes to cancer rates as people demand cheap food.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/4/2019 at 2:39 PM, BobBKK said:

No but i can eat apples, carrots and bananas. You really can eat raw pig or cow?  I call that BS. I made a perfectly valid point and you deflect again. I just proved that Chimps can eat raw and we cannot - we can only eat by COOKING - Chimps can do that can they?  Just listen to yourself.

err, no, the mongol horde armies would just leave a piece

of raw meat under the saddle to make it tender,

and here in thailand  they make sun dried meat, -not tender by any stretch but they still eat it, i have eaten raw meat like this myself.

or how about living larvae ?

i draw the line there myself but i have

seen a few thai girls consume it,

...and then offer me a kiss afterwards

Edited by brokenbone

49 minutes ago, mania said:

Yeah keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better...Period

Bored after 44 years of hearing 'plants feel too' as an ignorant response to "so I can eat meat too". Don't compare a carrot to a Pig or a Dog it's absurd.

Posted (edited)

Plants have no nervous system and no brain.

Thus they do not feel pain.

Suddenly the meat eaters, who lack all empathy with the suffering of animals raised for slaugher, are really really concerned about those plants. Really they are.

OK.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This article makes several good points about the pseudo-scientific statement that "Plants feel pain":

http://www.skoolofvegan.com/plants-have-feelings-too.html

Can one of the people (or perhaps it's only one person) who claim "Lots of studies say..." link to a few peer reviewed articles stating that plants - while lacking a nervous system and a brain - feel pain? Or one peer reviewed article?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer_review

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mania said:

actually not surprised to learn they are highly intelligent

Now your'e stretching it.  

• Like 1

I am not all the decided and do switch back and forth on many different diets.  I am concerned more with the health aspects of a diet than anything else.  I will say that vegan and vegetarian food in Thailand was a helluva a lot better than the crapola we get here in the USA.

On 8/7/2019 at 6:24 AM, xylophone said:

There seems to be a lot of info out there with regards to psyllium husks etc, this especially for people who suffer from constipation like yours truly.

I went to see Professor A here at the hospital and took a long all of the "fibres" (both soluble and insoluble) that I had been trying to ease my constipation and these things included: – psyllium husks, Metamucil, apple fibre, oat bran, glucomannan (konjac root), Fibily (from Watsons) and a few others.

He suggested that I needed to drink more water and I did explain that my total water capacity was usually around 2 L plus a day and I didn't do much exercise, so I wasn't really sweating it out, and even when I did take the fibre, I ensured that I took it with plenty of water.

What he did say was that I was to steer away from any of the fibre products that turned into a sort of gel when water was added, and that includes many of those above I have mentioned.

By luck I happened upon a website specifically dealing with constipation and the causes thereof and one which caused me a great deal of joy was one which dealt with those folk, like me, who have a very slow digestive system – – called slow motility syndrome, and no matter how much fibre I take, it does nothing more than move very, very slowly through my system and even though I take a lot of water with it, it tends to have the effect of – – yes, constipation.

No amount of water helps it to move through my system any faster than my system will process it, so I'm pretty well stuck.

Getting onto the diet/vegetarian aspect of this thread, I don't eat much in the way of meat and if I do, it is usually chicken, with perhaps a little bit of ground pork when I make a Thai meal.

Pasta is a favourite as are my home-made pizzas with a very thin crust and laden with such things as tomatoes, onions or chopped leek, olives, artichoke hearts and occasionally chopped avocado, accompanied by a side salad.

Because I drink red wine, I do take a multivitamin and I suppose I am relatively healthy for a 72-year-old and now that I have conquered my constipation problem I am feeling better than ever – – – and the secret is not fibre per se, but drinking one large glassful of prune juice every morning and it is the natural sorbitol in the prune juice which seems to do the trick.

The object of this post was to make people aware that there are those folk out there who will not respond favourably to all sorts of wonderful "fibre solutions".

I found I needed both high fiber and BULK for constipation.  The powder in liquid stir-ins did nothing and neither did any of the pills.  I use old-fashioned Post Cereal Original All-bran.  My granny ate a small cup of it everyday at breakfast and lived to be 94!  Most likely the grocery stores catering to the ex-pats will have a few boxes.  Give it a try for 3 or 4 days.  You will be amazed.

• Thanks 1

THere are people who get so passionate about this stuff and swear you are "poisoning" your body by eating a potatoe chip. 

I personally think the end result of decades of worrying about what you eat will result in an abysmal return measured in years on your life expectancy. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, dontoearth said:

I found I needed both high fiber and BULK for constipation.  The powder in liquid stir-ins did nothing and neither did any of the pills.  I use old-fashioned Post Cereal Original All-bran.  My granny ate a small cup of it everyday at breakfast and lived to be 94!  Most likely the grocery stores catering to the ex-pats will have a few boxes.  Give it a try for 3 or 4 days.  You will be amazed.

Exactly. Here in Thailand and certainly in Rimping, packets of Organic Flax seed at low cost are readily available. Loaded with nutrients, high in fibre and Omega 3, they are a wonderful way of avoiding constipation. Essential to blend the seeds into powder otherwise the seeds would pass through your system without any benefit. You can sprinkle one tablespoon per 55 kilos (100 pounds) of body weight of the ground powder on about anything sweet or savoury as it has a 'neutral' taste.

It's worth trying a two day experiment, as it's a whole lot cheaper than prune juice. And IMO, Xylophone, your favourite pasta and pizza nutrition diet - unfortunately - is not the most healthy owing to the high concentration of wheat produce - which I'm assuming isn't whole grain - that could be toxic to your system and could be the most likely cause of your 'slow motility syndrome'.  Just eat the (very) healthy veggies instead. Also, a contributing factor is that lack of exercise - so how do you expect digestion to be other than slow? 

In other words treat the cause of your disorder, not just the symptoms, to fully regain a healthy digestive system. BTW, I am not a doctor or have anything other than a keen interest in nutrition and prostate/colon cancer protection, but my suggestions  - if implemented - are healthy options and backed up by science.

BTW, with apologies, Xylophone - I'm not aiming to be offensive - I would suggest your lifestyle and nutrition tends to indicate that you're an American (brought up on SAD) and now overweight. Easy check: if your waist measurement is more than half of your height, you need to lose body fat - as I do! 

Edited by stephenterry
correction
  • Like 1