Has anyone tried switching to Vegetarian food for 2 weeks?

BurgerGung

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Nice article but it still paints us as omnivores given our gut length plus if we go back far enough we are fish. So yes they do make a point what is the starting point but that is the only point they make. They forget to mention that Chimps eat meat (documented). So we are still omnivores no matter how much you or other vegans like to change that fact. 

I don't believe that meat was the major food source, I believe it has always been a combination of both depending on what was available. Hunting is not easy especially not back then so plants were certainly eaten. But it is known that we developed more brain size once we started eating meat. 

Meat is just good for us (in limited quantities) if you don't eat any meat you have a far harder time getting all the nutrients you need. It can be done (plenty of people do it) but back then when we evolved we did not have that choice. Now its possible to not eat meat. We don't need it but it makes life easier. 

I never believed too much in paleo because diet varied by the season and where people were. So to claim that there was an uniform paleo diet is a bit crazy. Still its good to eat unprocessed stuff and that is where they got it right. 

A vegetarian living off highly processed carbs is certainly off worse then someone following a paleo diet. 

And lets not forget we really started to evolve once we started eating more meat and conquered fire. Those are not those apes talked about in your article. I have no clue how long it takes to evolve or adapt to certain things so i can't say if this article is relevant or not. But you should thank your ancestors that they started eating meat of you would be as dumb as an ape. 

Just sharing info bro...from a proper source. Perhaps you should write a paper, as you seem to be (think you are) an expert on the subject or perhaps you should take it up with the author...who is btw a biologist at North Carolina State University...if you have issues 

The chimps eating meat was not forgotten in the article, as you wrongly claimed. 

'chimpanzees sometimes kill and devour a baby monkey, but the proportion of the diet of the average chimpanzee composed of meat is small. And chimps eat more mammal meat than any of the other apes or any of the monkeys.'

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Nice article but it still paints us as omnivores given our gut length plus if we go back far enough we are fish. So yes they do make a point what is the starting point but that is the only point they make. They forget to mention that Chimps eat meat (documented). So we are still omnivores no matter how much you or other vegans like to change that fact. 

I don't believe that meat was the major food source, I believe it has always been a combination of both depending on what was available. Hunting is not easy especially not back then so plants were certainly eaten. But it is known that we developed more brain size once we started eating meat. 

Meat is just good for us (in limited quantities) if you don't eat any meat you have a far harder time getting all the nutrients you need. It can be done (plenty of people do it) but back then when we evolved we did not have that choice. Now its possible to not eat meat. We don't need it but it makes life easier. 

I never believed too much in paleo because diet varied by the season and where people were. So to claim that there was an uniform paleo diet is a bit crazy. Still its good to eat unprocessed stuff and that is where they got it right. 

A vegetarian living off highly processed carbs is certainly off worse then someone following a paleo diet. 

And lets not forget we really started to evolve once we started eating more meat and conquered fire. Those are not those apes talked about in your article. I have no clue how long it takes to evolve or adapt to certain things so i can't say if this article is relevant or not. But you should thank your ancestors that they started eating meat of you would be as dumb as an ape. 

Just sharing info bro...from a proper and qualified source. Perhaps you should write a paper, as you seem to be (think you are) an expert on the subject or perhaps you should take it up with the author...who is btw a biologist at North Carolina State University...if you have issues.

Also...

The chimps eating meat part was not forgotten in the article, as you wrongly claimed. 

'chimpanzees sometimes kill and devour a baby monkey, but the proportion of the diet of the average chimpanzee composed of meat is small. And chimps eat more mammal meat than any of the other apes or any of the monkeys.'

Regardless, humans did not evolve from Chimpanzees...but rather are closely related to Chimps and share a more recent common ancestor. In reality, we Humans are Great Apes. 

Finally (sigh), I clearly never claimed that Homo sapiens aren't omnivorous. That fact is obvious and to which I've never disagreed, despite being an evolved vegan. 

Don't put words in my mouth and I won't put veggies in yours. 

50 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Just sharing info bro...from a proper source. Perhaps you should write a paper, as you seem to be (think you are) an expert on the subject or perhaps you should take it up with the author...who is btw a biologist at North Carolina State University...if you have issues 

The chimps eating meat was not forgotten in the article, as you wrongly claimed. 

Just sharing info bro...from a proper and qualified source. Perhaps you should write a paper, as you seem to be (think you are) an expert on the subject or perhaps you should take it up with the author...who is btw a biologist at North Carolina State University...if you have issues.

Also...

The chimps eating meat part was not forgotten in the article, as you wrongly claimed. 

Regardless, humans did not evolve from Chimpanzees...but rather are closely related to Chimps and share a more recent common ancestor. In reality, we Humans are Great Apes. 

Finally (sigh), I clearly never claimed that Homo sapiens aren't omnivorous. That fact is obvious and to which I've never disagreed, despite being an evolved vegan. 

Don't put words in my mouth and I won't put veggies in yours. 

I am no expert just giving a bit of extra information on the article. You can put veggies in my mouth I like them. I just happen to eat meat too. 

You put out a post i reply to it and do so civil. My mistake they did claim chimps ate meat too. Baboons do so too they even eat gazelle. I never claimed they ate the majority of meat. Just as I always claimed is that we and some apes are omnivores. You are in agreement with that that is good science.

Is it so wrong to point certain things out that go against the vegan point of view.

I have nothing against veggies, i think I eat more veggies /  fruit  as meat (weight wise)

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

I am no expert just giving a bit of extra information on the article. You can put veggies in my mouth I like them. I just happen to eat meat too. You put out a post i reply to it and do so civil. My mistake they did claim chimps ate meat too. Baboons do so too they even eat gazelle. I never claimed they ate the majority of meat. Just as I always claimed is that we and some apes are omnivores. You are in agreement with that that is good science. Is it so wrong to point certain things out that go against the vegan point of view. I have nothing against veggies, i think I eat more veggies /  fruit  as meat (weight wise)

If vegetarianism is so wonderful, why is it that pregnant women are strongly advised to take supplements because vegetables alone are not enough? I regard vegetarianism as just another religion (and veganism a cult)

7 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

If vegetarianism is so wonderful, why is it that pregnant women are strongly advised to take supplements because vegetables alone are not enough? I regard vegetarianism as just another religion (and veganism a cult)

I never said vegetarianism is wonderful I am a meat eater (and veggies / fruits more then meat). But I have no problem with people who are. I just like freedom of choice.

29 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

:crazy:

32 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

That's a sweeping statement, which for obvious reasons is not 'a one-size fits all' for pregnant women or, for that matter, anyone else practising vegetarianism or vegan nutrition.  

Apologies for being blunt, but try reading up on the pros and cons of ANY nutrition regime before preaching a close-minded opinion that carries no scientific evidence to support your blanket summation.  

The only vitamin that any healthy Vegan (not Vegetarian) could lack is B12 and as the body retains B12 for many years, it is unlikely that a pregnancy would affect a woman's health. A daily 2.6 mcg would be sufficient. 

Most doctors, however, would naturally err on the safe side, especially if the patient's lifestyle and unhealthy eating habits were declared or obvious from blood and urine tests.  Probably, this is the only material reason why any supplements would be needed. 

And if you consider that by being a meat eater is the only true example of a healthy lifestyle, you couldn't be more out of touch with present day nutrition. 

I switched to Vegan a couple of weeks ago and feel fantastic and have dropped a couple of pounds.

im lucky in that there are 3 vegan restaurants within 100m of where I live including one that’s 50bht for purple rice and 2 sides. 

Typically my food day is:

Breakfast - Soy Latte, Rice and 2 veg sides

Lunch - Brown rice from 7-11 with tofu protein and broccoli 

Dinner - Veg subway or a Masala Dosa 

pea protein 3 times a day (I lift weights)

feel fantastic and full of energy 

I did it for an entire year when I was 42.  It literally changed my body.  I ate mostly good quality organic stuff also, no preservatives.  Not strict vegan, but would have some fish or shrimp and eggs and cheese now and then for protein.  I am 5 7 and got down to 132 pounds, my high school wrestling weight.  Not an ounce of fat on me.  Ran the mile in 5 minutes 8 seconds.  A time I never even did in high school.  Pulse was like 58 resting.   Took the air force ergo test on the bicycle thing and the sergeant thought the machine was broken.  They could not get my pulse rate up!  Every few years I go for a month or two and the pounds really do come off.  No soda, no chicken sandwich combos and fries from Wendy's etc.  

Lots of Tofu, Chinese rice and veggie dishes, seitan/tofu loaf recipes, home made soups, love bean and cheese burritos Mexican food, big greek salads, lots of pasta with olive oil and veggies, peanuts for snacks, blue chips and salsa for snacks, whole grain oatmeal, buckwheat pancakes, French toast for breakfast with veggie sausage links.  Some veggie dogs and veggie bean burgers really are pretty tasty.  Ramen soup at some Asian laces is OK, even though they may be in chicken bone based broth I accept that tradeoff for the flavor.  Home made pizza using home made dough.  Baked my own bread. God how quickly we forget how good that is.  Now adays plenty of Indian veggie places around to get some good tasting curry and other flavors.  Even the Thai places has the see aw noodles.  Couscous is OK but I never really liked the flavor.

I made an effort to vary what I ate so I did not eat rice every day or pasta every day.  I would alternate to try and make sure I ate a wide range of foods to help intake the various vitamins and minerals and as importantly the 23 amino acids.  My memory may be a bit off on that count.

Bottom line is there is plenty of veggie foods out there.  Don't think just plain old salads and carrot juice.  You will get bored of that diet and will not stay on it. 

• 3 months later...

I did it for one entire year.  I literally changed my body.  Resting pulse down to 60.  When I took the US Air Force ergonomics bike test, they thought the machine was broken because they could not get my heart rate up.  My circulation and body efficiency was stunning.  My weight got down to 132 pounds.  I am 5 7".  I was always fairly muscular but now I was back at my Junior High school weight!  Never felt better before or after. I ran the Mile in 5 15 seconds while only running 3 days a week.  I used to run 5 , 6 minute miles and it felt great.  Another two times I did it for about 5 or 6 months and again, the pounds come off, I sleep better, feel better, etc.

Strongly recommend you read Diet for a small planet.  A bit outdated now, but reads well.

Plenty of good vegetarian options out there.  Not just salads and carrots!  A bland diet and you will quickly give up.  I would alternate rice dishes one day then pasta dishes the next day

Pasta.  So many types.  Tomato sauce, stir fried veggies with olive oil and garlic and good fresh Romano cheese, etc.  2 or 3 times a week.

Chinese Tofu and vegetables dishes

Seitan and Tofu loaf.  Stunningly good baked loaf recipe

Soups with rice or pasta beans, veggies, etc

Greek salads with good cheese

Eggs a few times a week.

Rice and bean burritos.

Veggie pizza.

Tofu dogs some are really good

Tofu Italian sausage with fennel some are really good

Veggie burgers some are really really good

Tempeh, although a bit sour for me.

Breakfast many choices

Buckwheat pancakes.

Good thick oatmeal with banana or raisin.

Some cereal breakfast although I am not a big milk fan

Some good yougurt now and then for active cultures

Fruits of all kinds

The Game Changers on Netflix was very interesting. Certainly sparked my interest in vegetarian food, something I would never have entertained before. But will start slowly beginning in the New Year.  

On 8/1/2019 at 3:18 PM, murraynz said:

im not 100% vegetarian, though... i eat bacon/ham, mince and sausages --never eaten pork, beef, lamb, steak etc..nor chicken...

when i was very young, people couldnt accept that i could survive without eating meat.

ive proved that theory wrong..

????????

Archived