Spear fishing Koh Samui

Virgobythesea

14 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

sorry to sound so negative, I seriously doubt they speak a word of English. 

The dept of fisheries is mainly responsible for covering up slave labor on fishing boats and under reporting catch numbers.

but here is the web site.

https://www4.fisheries.go.th/index.php/dof_en 

and fishing law. the page is blank of course.

https://www4.fisheries.go.th/index.php/dof_en/view_role/6

Thanks for the advice man!

yeah I found this link and have sent them an email but of course no response as of yet.

my fiancé is Thai so language barrier wouldnt be an issue. I don’t really think too many Thais would have a problem with it as long as you are following the same rules they all have to follow. 

I know know some people “farangs” that do it around here and have been for a couple years. I just have yet to be able to sit down and find out if they know or if they’ve been skirting by etc etc. 

Wanted to state that spearguns are legal here in Thailand d too. Also knifes. You can’t actually carry knifes on planes as well as long as it is in your checked luggage. You can also fly with spearguns as long as they aren’t legal in the destination country and the airline carriers rules are followed(notify them and check back it).

i appreciate the kind words! 

Hopefuly we we can get more insight into this soon as there is not much information regarding this that is easily found on the internet.

If I do hear back from Dept of Fisheries I WILL post it here!!

also I think you’re right about Dept of Fisheries. I found a bunch of pages regarding commercial fishing but none for recreational.

• 5 months later...

Hey Virgo,

Just read your posts. Spearfishing in Thailand is absolutely fine... on both Koh Phangan and Koh Samui. I've been doing it on the mainland for a few years now. Not many locals are interested of course. As you have already stated I/we obviously stay 'well away' from National Marine parks. We also stay 'well away' from recreational dive sites and popular snorkelling areas... any public areas too would you believe. You know... like sensible people rather than patronising Scuby Doos talking know-nothing, facile nonsense.

I do have to say that having been spearfishing/freediving for more than 40 years in the UK... spearfishing with air is definitely a thing of the past and certainly not something I would do myself or have ever seen being done in Thailand... although I'm sure it happens. Seems a good idea to separate the 2 anyway. I would let that one go if I was you! Besides, there are plenty of pelagics including Barramundi, Tuna and Mackerel in the Gulf of Thailand so absolutely no need to hunt demersals or reef fish. (Not that I ever have.) Below 20-30 meters and you've missed them anyway! Once again, as you have correctly stated spearfishing is indeed the ultimate form of taking free range food selectively from the ocean. I also get the feeling that despite the improbability of forming personalities in some numpties fish tank they clearly don't miss each other's company. This is mostly based on the incontravertible evidence that they have been eating each other, dependent on size of course, social/family relationships included... since the beginning of time! Overfishing... maybe! They always said that in the UK but I never noticed any drastic decline in the pelagic species which I caught and ate... for 40 years. Commercial fishing???... a totally different subject/discussion!

Having got that out of the way... it has been a few months since your last post here so how are you getting on?

Any chance of a progress report? Did you find a speargun? Have you actually managed to go spearfishing yet?

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/80-i550504558-s1006392486.html?

Edited by artiz
  • Sad 1

• 3 months later...