Emergency extraction and implant

moogradod

One of my large Molar teeth has cracked and needs extraction which could amount to a bit of surgery. It must later be replaced with an implant.

My dentist is Dr. Warin on Pattaya Klang who does a swift and reasonably priced job under normal circumstances. However I am not really sure if this is the right adress for this current emergency operation up to inserting an implant later on, for it must as well be quick and waiting times of Dr. Warin are about 14 days.

Where to go in and around Pattaya ? Of course I do not like to pay phantasy prices but the quality of the work has priority.

Thank you for any specific recommendation for this situation.

28 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

So I don't really understand the need for speed.

Have the extraction done now by someone who knows what he/she is doing, then worry about the implant later.

The need for speed is for the extraction part, will most probably start to hurt more and more soon. So a 14 days wait is impossible.

I have heard that there are some emergency dentists at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, but I think you know why this might not be my first choice....

And thanks for the hint for the implant. I just thought it would be better that the one who is extracting would as well do the implant. But you are right, this can wait. While I sip soup for the next 4 months...

Are you sure an extraction is needed? This year I had two broken teeth (my favorite multi grain baguette contained small stones...) and ended up with crowns. I also go to your dentist too and as you said he is mostly fully booked. So I took his wife for the repair. Mostly she has time earlier. It was completely painless and so far there were no problems. By the way - I don't eat this baguette anymore... 

• Like 1

I too recommend;

The Dental department @ Phyathai Sri Racha Hospital. As aforementioned the implantologist/Oral Surgeon is Paweenwan Suwangatte. Hopefully there will be someone available at short notice. Being a hospital, they will have every equipment available to them.

The OP can make an appointment with her via Gavin Waddell if you don't wish to go through the Thai staff.

http://www.phyathai-sriracha.com/pytsweb_kh/index.php?page=menupage/menu-foreign

Entirely reasonable billing. None of the nonsense pricing seen at the BP Hospital.

• Thanks 1

I would not wait.

It can get infected then you have another issue they may need to lance your gum.

Do not mess with tooth problems get the extraction done.

It could take up to 6 months after for the final implant.  3 to heal after extraction, then 3 more to heal after they insert the implant minus the crown. You may also need a bone craft depending on how much bone is available for the implant.

• Thanks 1

I echo KittenKong’s post. I had a jaw infection, bottom left molar, going on for a long time. Took some over the counter antibiotic but it didn’t stop the infection. Dr. Warin said he didn’t have the x-ray equipment for a ‘wrap around’ x-ray. I mentioned going to Phayathai. He said Dr. Paweenwan, who had done implants for my wife, was his friend.

I phoned the hospital at 081-996-0875 for an appointment, took a Baht bus up Pattaya Tai to Sukhumwit, walked north a bit to the rest stop, took a white minibus to Robinson in Sri Racha (safely driven) for 50 or 60 Baht. Walked down the north side of Robinson to Phyathai hospital on the other side of the street.

Dr. Paweenwan (floor 3) said Dr. Warin is her friend, said I had a problem, gave me heavy duty antibiotic, and a week later removed the molar which had split in two, and put in a  ‘holder for the replacement tooth. A few weeks later another look said Everything was good. I will return in September for the replacement tooth.

Returning to Pattaya is easy and cheap if you go to Robinson’s 2nd floor, ask for directions to the overpass, go across Sukhumwit, and go south of the overpass to get a white mini bus to Pattaya Tai, take the Baht bus, heading towards the water. Each of the bus stops could be a bit different because of never ending roadwork.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, KittenKong said:

My personal choice would always be Dr. Paweenwan Suwannagate at Phyathai hospital in Si Racha, but that may be a bit far away. I would also trust her recommendation if for some reason she could not do something herself.

I will try to see Dr. Paweewan Suwannagate. Some time ago you recommended a website for renting condos to us. We followed your advice and we now stay happily in our nice condo in Najomtien. Then you recommended Rocketsound for the installation of our dashcam. We went there and they are marvellous. So the third time we follow your advice cannot be that wrong. Thanks. NewGuy recommends her as well.

Edited by moogradod

2 hours ago, NewGuy said:

I echo KittenKong’s post. I had a jaw infection, bottom left molar, going on for a long time. Took some over the counter antibiotic but it didn’t stop the infection. Dr. Warin said he didn’t have the x-ray equipment for a ‘wrap around’ x-ray. I mentioned going to Phayathai. He said Dr. Paweenwan, who had done implants for my wife, was his friend.

I phoned the hospital at 081-996-0875 for an appointment, took a Baht bus up Pattaya Tai to Sukhumwit, walked north a bit to the rest stop, took a white minibus to Robinson in Sri Racha (safely driven) for 50 or 60 Baht. Walked down the north side of Robinson to Phyathai hospital on the other side of the street.

Dr. Paweenwan (floor 3) said Dr. Warin is her friend, said I had a problem, gave me heavy duty antibiotic, and a week later removed the molar which had split in two, and put in a  ‘holder for the replacement tooth. A few weeks later another look said Everything was good. I will return in September for the replacement tooth.

Returning to Pattaya is easy and cheap if you go to Robinson’s 2nd floor, ask for directions to the overpass, go across Sukhumwit, and go south of the overpass to get a white mini bus to Pattaya Tai, take the Baht bus, heading towards the water. Each of the bus stops could be a bit different because of never ending roadwork.

Thanks a lot. This sounds promising. I will call them using the number you have indicated. But if I get an appointment I would just take our limo ????.....if I then get dizzy from the medicaments my wife can drive me home, too.

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I would not wait.

It can get infected then you have another issue they may need to lance your gum.

Do not mess with tooth problems get the extraction done.

Thank you for your advice. I will see them at Phyathai as soon as possible and I very much hope that I may get an implant later. It is the biggest tooth that is split apart and this one is very important for chewing.

4 hours ago, JamJar said:

I too recommend;

The Dental department @ Phyathai Sri Racha Hospital. As aforementioned the implantologist/Oral Surgeon is Paweenwan Suwangatte. Hopefully there will be someone available at short notice. Being a hospital, they will have every equipment available to them.

The OP can make an appointment with her via Gavin Waddell if you don't wish to go through the Thai staff.

http://www.phyathai-sriracha.com/pytsweb_kh/index.php?page=menupage/menu-foreign

Entirely reasonable billing. None of the nonsense pricing seen at the BP Hospital.

Thank you JamJar

Now there are so many that recommend Phyathai and Dr. Paweewan Suwangatte that I am very confident to have now the right adress for my tooth problem.

....and I would like to add: I am really happy about the very helpful feedback from all the TV posters !

Edited by moogradod

I need a molar extraction too, thinking of an implant but need to ask about the cost - my dentist is in bangkok though, I used to goto a chain but they charge twice as much as I pay now. I found a small private dentist who does a really good job so far, and much cheaper too.

58 minutes ago, NightSky said:

I need a molar extraction too, thinking of an implant but need to ask about the cost - my dentist is in bangkok though, I used to goto a chain but they charge twice as much as I pay now. I found a small private dentist who does a really good job so far, and much cheaper too.

Expect perhaps 40k for Implant and Crown at Phyathai Sri Racha. Though of course it can vary, according to your needs and wonts.

On 7/28/2019 at 1:12 PM, JamJar said:

I too recommend;

Just an update from my experience: I made an appointment with Phyathai, first they did give me even the choice of doing it with full anestesia (obviously a light one like Propofol), but then they said only in 14 days. So I took the date with local anestesia but I had just to wait one day.

The hospital seems small but makes a good impression. Quite clean as well. Dr. Paweewan Sawannagate is obviously only available for the implants, so I saw another woman doctor. Very friendly, very well versed in English. They would have even provided a German speaking doctor if I would have required that.

It was a light surgery and took more than 45 minutes to remove the big tooth. It was complicated because of the former root treatment that tooth had undergone. Not painful at all despite the very large hole. Before that she fixed even a small hole on another tooth. All in all about 1 hours work.

The bill for all that was just below THB 5'000.-- including antibiotics and surprisingly strong pain killer tablets plus tablets against inflammation in addition. There was an item on the bill "Nursing and midwifery charge THB 420.--". I forgot to ask what this is for.

I made a follow up appointment with Dr. Paweewan in about 2 months time for the implant.

All in all a good experience. I can recommend the dental department of Phyatai. OK, one small thing though: The admin employees would want to speak with my Thai Wife only, and I was ignored as the patient (exept for the doctor). Funny: They gave her a form and she filled it up with her name - but it was actually intended for me. This kind of reaction is not only confined to this place - lack of language skills and/or general farang fear/disregard might be the reason.

Nevertheless - if you need some serious dental action then this is the place to go.

Edited by moogradod
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

There was an item on the bill "Nursing and midwifery charge THB 420.--". I forgot to ask what this is for.

This is the "hospital fee" and is fairly standard here.

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

OK, one small thing though: The admin employees would want to speak with my Thai Wife only, and I was ignored as the patient (exept for the doctor).

That's surprising. I always go alone and so they have no option but to deal with me, but they have a large number of very competent translators on call and the regular admin staff also speak enough English to get by on. I suppose they address your wife simply because it is easier.

I had this sorted at the Bangkok Hospital Pattaya, cracked tooth, I had a root canal done. Not fun, but I felt the standard of treatment to be good and never any long waiting around. There was a bit of wastage initially trying to diagnose the problem.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, moogradod said:

Just an update from my experience: I made an appointment with Phyathai, first they did give me even the choice of doing it with full anestesia (obviously a light one like Propofol), but then they said only in 14 days. So I took the date with local anestesia but I had just to wait one day.

The hospital seems small but makes a good impression. Quite clean as well. Dr. Paweewan Sawannagate is obviously only available for the implants, so I saw another woman doctor. Very friendly, very well versed in English. They would have even provided a German speaking doctor if I would have required that.

It was a light surgery and took more than 45 minutes to remove the big tooth. It was complicated because of the former root treatment that tooth had undergone. Not painful at all despite the very large hole. Before that she fixed even a small hole on another tooth. All in all about 1 hours work.

The bill for all that was just below THB 5'000.-- including antibiotics and surprisingly strong pain killer tablets plus tablets against inflammation in addition. There was an item on the bill "Nursing and midwifery charge THB 420.--". I forgot to ask what this is for.

I made a follow up appointment with Dr. Paweewan in about 2 months time for the implant.

All in all a good experience. I can recommend the dental department of Phyatai. OK, one small thing though: The admin employees would want to speak with my Thai Wife only, and I was ignored as the patient (exept for the doctor). Funny: They gave her a form and she filled it up with her name - but it was actually intended for me. This kind of reaction is not only confined to this place - lack of language skills and/or general farang fear/disregard might be the reason.

Nevertheless - if you need some serious dental action then this is the place to go.

Did you have an assistant in your room? I always do. You also likely had your weight and blood pressure checked. Maybe an x-ray too? All part of the nursing charge I guess.

The staff talk to me directly. But quite possibly I was one of their first foreign patients. So not so nervous now perhaps.

Though every now and again, an observer will appear. I'm too polite to tell them to "get out!" ????

It's definitely not disregard. It's just easier for them to communicate with your wife. They do have a International marketing office if you need a go between to speak your language.

Painkiller; Arcoxia?

No assistant. Wherever I go my wife comes with me. She speaks English and Thai and a bit of German. Of course they like to speak to my wife because they can use Thai language, but this gives me always the feeling like I am a baby and cannot speak for myself. "Here, here I am ..... ???? and I would like to talk to you .....).

4 hours ago, moogradod said:

No assistant. Wherever I go my wife comes with me. She speaks English and Thai and a bit of German. Of course they like to speak to my wife because they can use Thai language, but this gives me always the feeling like I am a baby and cannot speak for myself. "Here, here I am ..... ???? and I would like to talk to you .....).

So who does the sucking out of the fluids whilst the dentist does her work?  For me there is always an assistant. 

1 hour ago, JamJar said:

So who does the sucking out of the fluids whilst the dentist does her work?  For me there is always an assistant. 

Misunderstanding Alarm ???? I thought you were talking about an assistant that I bring with me to overcome some language problems etc. Of course the doctor has her own assistants to help her during treatment - this is not different for me either.

On 7/28/2019 at 8:42 AM, moogradod said:

The need for speed is for the extraction part, will most probably start to hurt more and more soon. So a 14 days wait is impossible.

Hmmmmm .... I had a cracked molar 20 years back.

Russian dentist said leave it until it hurts.

Ten years later it hurt, Thai dentist did root canal.

Past ten years it's still there, still cracked.

No need for a crown or an extraction or an implant, unless you really want one. 

Edited by BritManToo

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I personally do not like rice soup too much.

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Hmmmmm .... I had a cracked molar 20 years back.

Russian dentist said leave it until it hurts.

Ten years later it hurt, Thai dentist did root canal.

Mine hurt, a lot and seemed to get worse. Biggest problem for me was I perceived the pain as from a different tooth and had 2 new crowns on that perfectly fine one. Strangely that made it better, for a while! A better young female dentist spotted the crack in the molar. A crown attempt didn't work out, forcing removal. I opted for a root canal as I wanted to keep as many teeth in my head as possible, and there was one under it to work with.

I wonder why I tolerated the pain for so long now. 

• Like 1

Need to wait at least 3 months after extraction and normally 5-6 because the gum can shrink/retract and that needs to settle first

Warin is the go to guy make no mistake best in Pattaya