The mystery of exactly how many expats live in Thailand

rooster59

6 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

That there are millions of foreigners in Thailand. It is a large community. Granted, it is divided into subsets. But, we are talking about a nation that would break down without it's foreign population. Especially if you take into account the Burmese and Cambodian workers. 

Don't forget the Chinese......

Probably all working, legal or illegal.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

My son was born in Thailand nearly 3 years ago. I am Aussie and his mum from Myanmar and on his birth certificate it listed him as no nationality with a side note stating he was someone temporarily or illegally in Thailand.

So  from another posters thread it appears that there is a route for you to get your son a Thai ID as he was born in Thailand. Have you tried that ? But also I assume you have him an Australian registration now and Oz passport as he is your son, presuming that is your name was on the Thai birth certificate ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I have an Australian passport and I know that after 2 years out of the country and I cease to be a resident of my own country,so my guess would be 2 years.

Not doubting but where did you get that figure from?

I emailed my accountant about a year ago (after 5 years here) and asking him questions in that regard. Originally I planned to stay here until death do us part (and could still be the case), but with an unplanned sick baby and immigration rules changing I now plan to head back and try for the pension (eligible? in 2 1/2 years). He told me that I was still regarded as an Australian Citizen.

Having said that after 5 years I was kicked out of Medicare and have to "rejoin" when I get back.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, British Bulldog said:

Hmmmm ... Half English, Half Scottish and half Irish ... so your count would be 1.5 of a person ... ha ha ha

Don't know. I am not a mathematician.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tabarin said:

Just trying to imagine how rich we would be if we somehow were connected and all contributed a few hundred B a month. 
Could just buy our own part of Spain and import the Thai girls, cooks and other to there. 

Sounds good to me. Expatland.

• Haha 2

You would think with the amount of information and paperwork that goes into getting a Business Visa and Work Permit that this number would be readily and easily calculated. Just goes to show that all that paper is sitting in some warehouse collecting dust and are simply “hoops for tea money”??!! ????

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Zack61 said:

72,000 (retirees) x 800,000 (baht) = 57,600,000,000 Baht

And that's just the retirees

Add to that the soon to be announced upcoming mandatory insurance and they will be dancing in the streets.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Sounds good to me. Expatland.

We could generate plenty of money, certainly if doing a bit more, like 50 euro a month.
A dream that will never happen I guess hehe, too much greed on the way to destroy trust.

Edited by tabarin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, geoffbezoz said:

You are a kind man and considerate person and I hope life treats you as well as you have treated him. What goes round comes round hopefully.

Thank you for that. I hope it does too, hasn't been too good so far since he was born.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Zack61 said:

72,000 (retirees) x 800,000 (baht) = 57,600,000,000 Baht

This has been posted several times in recent days, but it's far less than that in fact. Most retirees probably use the Income method or an Embassy Letter, so don't need 800k in the bank.

• Confused 3

6 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Just looking at a city in the lower northeast makes me believe that more foreigners are living here full time.

They could be visiting ?

Edited by blackcab
Quote reformatted. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording. Such posts will be deleted and the user warned.

2 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Most retirees probably use the Income method or an Embassy Letter, so don't need 800k in the bank.

Have you not heard, a lot of embassies a not issuing those letters anymore, so it's 800,000 baht in the bank, or go via an agent and pay 25,000 baht and they will take care everything, even the immigration officers to turn a blind eye because they don't have the 800,000 baht.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

In a thai mathematics classroom ;

Yesterday I bought a pad thai for 35 baht ;

I gave a 50 baht note  and I said give me back  15 baht 

but he needed to use his calculator to check :crazy:

I had something similar at a local shop.  Bought a few things that totaled 80 baht.  I was impressed that the person added it up without a calculator.  I gave 100 baht, and then they had to get the calculator out to work out the change lol.

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thong Lo, Sri Racha, etc etc....  Check out the Japanese supermarkets at weekends.

At Starbucks in the afternoon you may find large gatherings of Japanese ladies

I find these figures hard to credit. A few years back one of the Pattaya newspapers quoted Chon Buri Immigration as saying that over 40,000 retirement extensions were dealt with each year. So over half of all retired expats in Thailand live in Pattaya? I doubt it somehow.