The mystery of exactly how many expats live in Thailand

rooster59

4 hours ago, justin case said:

thailand can never be a home for non-thais... you cannot buy / own land, you don't get nationality even you married / worked / family ,  you don't have the right to stay with your children in the country if you get divorced to a nasty piece of shit

Stop saying "you" when you are only talking about yourself

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Those numbers are way low. A fraction of the reality.

According to wiki- Foreign residents by country of origin 2010 Nationality Population

Myanmar Myanmar1,292,686

Cambodia Cambodia281,292

Laos Laos222,432

China China141,553

United Kingdom United Kingdom85,836

Japan Japan80,898

India India46,3261

United States United States40,230

Germany Germany24,383

France France22,486

Vietnam Vietnam17,662

Philippines Philippines17,574

Malaysia Malaysia8,182

Singapore Singapore2,952

Indonesia Indonesia2,952

Others174,2366.75

Stateless117,3154.54

Unknown2,1470.08

Total population2,581,141100.00

A fraction of the reality but I think the proportions are right, no? (I.e, twice as many Brits as Yanks, etc).

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

That's good then ,it means I'm not here and they won't come after me!Always wondered why I haven't had a knock on the door yet!

Eventually they will come knocking , What's your address.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

But when is a foreigner considered an expat? After 5, 10, or 15 years?

an expat is according to Cambridge Dictionary: someone who does not live in their own country 

A Mexican, Hondurian, Cuban in the US, a Moroccan, Syrian, Libyan in Europe, are thus all expats but for some strange reasons we Westerners like to call ourselves expat while we name a Mexican, Libyan, Moroccan, Myanmar, foreigners, immigrants,etc but certainly not expats. 

Edited by blackcab
Quote reformatted

31 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Let's assume they get 1,000bht for every foreigner that walks through the door (fines/extensions/agents backhanders) ...... they're making $$$$$$$$$s

Fair do's. So 2.1m foreigners to pay for the fingerprint scanning system alone. Looks like they're going to have to increase the price of tourist visas.

Reading a article on the internet yesterday there are 5000 and some odd americans retired in Thailand, this is the actual number of people who have their social security deposited in a Thai bank account. 

1 hour ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Used to be 20.000 Swedes in Thailand, now only 19.999 (I left). Now there are more Thais in Sweden than Swedes in Thailand (I recon most of them are females).   

Its a good point you make, in Dubai many thai females and in the UK just about every empty shop opens as Thai massage, if there was a tit for tat thailand would come off  worse, many unemployable females would come back bad news for the North East villages and there families and pensions for the expats  who return  would cease to come in, before you tell me all the Thai females in Blighty have Work permits i think we all know different 

• Sad 2

31 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Reading a article on the internet yesterday there are 5000 and some odd americans retired in Thailand, this is the actual number of people who have their social security deposited in a Thai bank account. 

I think many of those odd Americans have been commenting on this site ????

• Haha 1

Where can I report two new Farang?

I've just seen two gentlemen I've never seen before. They had their nieces or so with them. They must have been 55 years wiser. 

So please add two more guys to Sisaket. When will we see the final number? 

"Whether or not previous data sets are even comparable, the reality is that the mystery of exactly how many expats are living in Thailand remains."

Probably the same mystery as how many of the RTP are currently in "Inactive posts"!

• Haha 1

It is not secret !!!!!

Immigration delivery the General Public report about all foreigner in the kingdom under 41 reasons (clauses

)  Exemple 2.22 clause is Retirement /  2.18 If Thai wife  etc..... 

The total inlcude people working in Thailand 

as per the last command order 2014  and immogration Code 

The report compilation is coming from BICIS datas base 

Total = 442 134  with 231 Involved nation 

Under 41 reasons   
Immigration report Year 2018     
Nation Number  
China 26084  
American 24369  
British 23179  
Philippines 20402  
Japanese 17314  
Myanmar 16483  
German 15781  
France 14539  
Laos 14507  
Australia 14332  
India 12982  
Cambodge 10529  
Taiwan 10506  
South Korea 9973  
Dutch 9873  
Canadian 9596  
Swiss 9591  
Suède 9143  
Italy 8549  
Malaysia 7818  
Russia 7358  
Norway 6981  
Vietnam 6835  
Singapore 6322  
Belgium 6142  
Indonesia 6116  
Danemark 5979  

As per all reasons all nation  2018

NATION  (ALL)  (Tous)
YEAR 2018  2018

reason for the visa Nombre de REASON
(1), (2) and (3) in the case of being a family of Thai nationals (Thai husband) 4451
(1), (2) and (5) Thai families (Thai children) 2093
(1), (2), (3) and (6) Thai families (Thai wife) 6867
(A) In the case of investment not less than 3 million baht 40
(B) In the case of investment not less than 10 million baht 53
A craftsman Or male, medical, nursing, or professional fields to transfer knowledge to Thai people 12
alienate worker 3599
Bank 200
Being a consular employee or employee 295
Being a spouse or child under the care and being a household 498
Being a teacher or professor or expert in public education institutions 4348
Being a teacher or teacher or an expert in private education institutions 4675
Evangelize 445
Have business necessity 9201
In the case of a professional athlete Or personnel related to professional sports 208
Investment Promotion Act 1959
Is a family of aliens who are temporarily allowed to stay in the Kingdom to study in schools according to In accordance with Article 2.8 or 2.9 1144
Is a family of aliens who are temporarily permitted to stay in the Kingdom 4688
Is a family of residents of the Kingdom (only parents, spouses, children, adopted children or children of spouses) 349
Is a person in the diplomatic corps 54
Is a person who is a foreign government with the approval of the Thai government to perform duties 568
Is a person who performs duties According to the agreement that the Thai government has made with foreign governments 19
Is a personal servant 87
Is an actor, singer, musician, conductor As well as those responsible for performing for entertainment or entertainment, with occasional performances 1
Is an actor, singer, musician, hotel or entertainment company in Thailand Which has a paid-up capital of not less than 20 million baht 512
Medical treatment or rehabilitation Or care for patients 1735
Not fully qualified, not allowed to travel in 7 days 4478
Not in the rules 498
office 539
other 416
Perform duties or missions for government agencies, state enterprises, other government agencies, embassies, consulates, international organizations 509
Perform media duties 202
Prove nationality 5
Special law 3072
Study Buddhism or religious practice 779
The person who controls the vehicle and the vehicle operator who enters the station Or locality in the Kingdom And can not travel outside the Kingdom 14
There is a need for an embassy. Or the consulate to certify and request 600
There is a need to stay engaged in investments that have been approved by the relevant ministries. 350
There is a reason to have to work in government agencies, state enterprises or other government agencies. 391
To install or repair machinery, aircraft or ships 86
To prosecute or proceed with the proceedings related to the case 842
To study in private educational institutions 6319
To study in public education institutions 2682
To train or research in higher education institutions or research institutes 358
To visit relatives or return to the former domicile of a person who has Thai nationality Or of a person with a father or mother being a Thai national or having Thai nationality 2572
Use life 9369
Visiting a spouse or visiting a child with Thai nationality 5005
Work in public charities Foreign private organizations, the Foundation of the Foreign Chamber of Commerce, the Thai Chamber of Commerce Or the Federation of Thai Industries 1683
Total général 88870

Edited by SPREX

I suspect one of the reasons there appear to be more than there are actually are is because of the number married to Thai wives who live 'back home' but make regular visits to the wives' families. In my small village in the NE I know of five, 2 German, 1 Italian, I Dane and 1 Swede. I'm the only one living here full time, but I see the others on their occasional visits. 

• Like 1

Been here 4 years . Own 2 condo but tourist visa .  there is no category for people like me... pink card thai driver license 3 bank account... car motobike.. but am tourist.....

Agree - before I turned 50 I was a tourist here for 25 years and spent probably an average 1-2 million a year here but apparently that does not count!?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app