BANGKOK
baneko

345 for a tin of corned beef

I like thai food and am keen on rice. I took the wife out last night and spent 2700. The daughter ate a lamb chop 750. I had a burger and chips 250. The wife had thai maybe 300 plus ice cream and cakes for the kids. We went into Tops on the way home and saw a can of corned beef. A taste of home 345 baht. I left it and ate more rice. Its getting crazy now.

Thank <deleted> I have baht and not pounds in the bank. Whats the most expensive food you have bought here?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

A Turkey !! They wanted (in Dec) £75 in Makro, needless to say I wouldnt pay it.

• Like 1

I can't see the connection between not having pounds in the bank and high prices of food in Thailand 🙄

21 minutes ago, baneko said:

Whats the most expensive food you have bought here?

A steak in "The Rib Room" at The Landmark Hotel in Bangkok. 

Best steak Ive ever had outside of the US, but by far the most expensive. 

25 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

A Turkey !! They wanted (in Dec) £75 in Makro, needless to say I wouldnt pay it.

So they price goods in Sterling now in Thailand or was that Makro in the uk ?

11 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

I can't see the connection between not having pounds in the bank and high prices of food in Thailand 🙄

I for one have coin, but 375 baht for corned beef in a can is the topic.

I agree with the OP... just walk away.

• Like 1

I had a bit of a yearning for some hot smoked salmon. Very nice with lightly pickled cucumber and beetroot with a good quality potato salad. Tops will have it, I reckoned, and sure enough they did at Pattaya's Central Festival food hall. Cost was 360 Baht, more than £9 for 1 piece of salmon. After the smelling salts brought me round I decided to take a pass on the salmon.

I have seen tinned corned beef at under 300 Baht a tin and, because of an endearing love for corned beef and piccallili butties, have sometimes yielded to temptation. Plenty of portions to be had from one tin, so can represent value for money.

• Like 1

I would like to see the price per kilo/pound for the turkey and the corned beef even the salmon but I guess restaurants don't display that.I always use the price per kilo and litre to decide what's expensive or not,also sometimes it's cheaper two small tins of corned beef than one larger one.My local supermarket sells the same washing up liquid in about 4 different size plastic bottles and the all have a different price per litre.£10 for a tin of corned beef is eye watering.

16 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

So they price goods in Sterling now in Thailand or was that Makro in the uk ?

It was Makro in Thailand , I gave UK price (converted at that time) as the OP mentioned "pounds"

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, adammike said:

I would like to see the price per kilo/pound for the turkey and the corned beef even the salmon but I guess restaurants don't display that.I always use the price per kilo and litre to decide what's expensive or not,also sometimes it's cheaper two small tins of corned beef than one larger one.My local supermarket sells the same washing up liquid in about 4 different size plastic bottles and the all have a different price per litre.£10 for a tin of corned beef is eye watering.

take out your phone, price for 1Kg = price / weight in Kg

2 minutes ago, faraday said:

Corned beef sandwiches.... sitting on the beach with Mum, Dad & my sister, slight drizzle, cold breeze, after a dip in the refreshing near sub-zero sea:Lovely.

Yes, it really was lovely.

You didn't have to worry about the blitz?  I used to mix it mayo when we did long distance races on the yacht as the dry ice and regular ice bin was small but we always watched out for submarines.  

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Corned beef in a can... is that the crap called Spam ?

To answer the question though I do like me a Wagyu Tomahawk steak but at Bt.4500 I have had to slow down a bit on them until the AUD bounces back.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1