Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

345 for a tin of corned beef


Recommended Posts

I like thai food and am keen on rice. I took the wife out last night and spent 2700. The daughter ate a lamb chop 750. I had a burger and chips 250. The wife had thai maybe 300 plus ice cream and cakes for the kids. We went into Tops on the way home and saw a can of corned beef. A taste of home 345 baht. I left it and ate more rice. Its getting crazy now.

 

Thank <deleted> I have baht and not pounds in the bank. Whats the most expensive food you have bought here?

 

Sent from my SM-G975F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Corned beef in a tin was war rations when fresh beef was not available.  No one really eats it unless the Germans are bombing do they?  Or on Nelson's ship during the battle of Trafalgar. 

Corned beef sandwiches.... sitting on the beach with Mum, Dad & my sister, slight drizzle, cold breeze, after a dip in the refreshing near sub-zero sea:Lovely.   Yes, it really was lovel

you must not be British.

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, baneko said:

Whats the most expensive food you have bought here?

 

A steak in "The Rib Room" at The Landmark Hotel in Bangkok. 

 

Best steak Ive ever had outside of the US, but by far the most expensive. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

A Turkey !! They wanted (in Dec) £75 in Makro, needless to say I wouldnt pay it.

So they price goods in Sterling now in Thailand or was that Makro in the uk ?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

I can't see the connection between not having pounds in the bank and high prices of food in Thailand 🙄

I for one have coin, but 375 baht for corned beef in a can is the topic.

 

I agree with the OP... just walk away.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a bit of a yearning for some hot smoked salmon. Very nice with lightly pickled cucumber and beetroot with a good quality potato salad. Tops will have it, I reckoned, and sure enough they did at Pattaya's Central Festival food hall. Cost was 360 Baht, more than £9 for 1 piece of salmon. After the smelling salts brought me round I decided to take a pass on the salmon.

I have seen tinned corned beef at under 300 Baht a tin and, because of an endearing love for corned beef and piccallili butties, have sometimes yielded to temptation. Plenty of portions to be had from one tin, so can represent value for money.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to see the price per kilo/pound for the turkey and the corned beef even the salmon but I guess restaurants don't display that.I always use the price per kilo and litre to decide what's expensive or not,also sometimes it's cheaper two small tins of corned beef than one larger one.My local supermarket sells the same washing up liquid in about 4 different size plastic bottles and the all have a different price per litre.£10 for a tin of corned beef is eye watering.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

So they price goods in Sterling now in Thailand or was that Makro in the uk ?

 

It was Makro in Thailand , I gave UK price (converted at that time) as the OP mentioned "pounds"

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, adammike said:

I would like to see the price per kilo/pound for the turkey and the corned beef even the salmon but I guess restaurants don't display that.I always use the price per kilo and litre to decide what's expensive or not,also sometimes it's cheaper two small tins of corned beef than one larger one.My local supermarket sells the same washing up liquid in about 4 different size plastic bottles and the all have a different price per litre.£10 for a tin of corned beef is eye watering.

take out your phone, price for 1Kg = price / weight in Kg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, faraday said:

Corned beef sandwiches.... sitting on the beach with Mum, Dad & my sister, slight drizzle, cold breeze, after a dip in the refreshing near sub-zero sea:Lovely.

 

Yes, it really was lovely.

You didn't have to worry about the blitz?  I used to mix it mayo when we did long distance races on the yacht as the dry ice and regular ice bin was small but we always watched out for submarines.  

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Corned beef in a can... is that the crap called Spam ?

 

To answer the question though I do like me a Wagyu Tomahawk steak but at Bt.4500 I have had to slow down a bit on them until the AUD bounces back.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Corned beef in a can... is that the crap called Spam ?

...

No. The crap in a can is called SPAM.

 

Totally different crap.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

It was Makro in Thailand , I gave UK price (converted at that time) as the OP mentioned "pounds"

Yes i know he did but i don't understand what that has got to do with food prices in Thailand !

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, puchooay said:

Dewhurst brand corned beef, 200 baht a tin.

Where is that available ?, used to be able to get Princess Corned beef, in TOPS,RimPing,

and TESCO, but have not seen any for quite a while, Corned beef ,Onion and Potato pies,Mmm.

regards worgeordie

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

Corned beef in a tin was war rations when fresh beef was not available.  No one really eats it unless the Germans are bombing do they?  Or on Nelson's ship during the battle of Trafalgar. 

Corned beef hash. OK to eat occasionally in UK but pointless buying it in Thailand.  You can get a whole meal for the same price.

Link to post
Share on other sites

corned beef or bully beef as I know it is one of those things that here its too expensive compared to readily available thai mince or ground beef. I like it occasionally ( good for salads and subs) but its on a wishlist for when friends come over to visit. already a thread running about things to be brought over that are expensive here. canned corned beef is one of those.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rule no 1 re dining in Thailand.

 

Gently gently catch the monkey.

 

Never take people to eat at any place you have not checked yourself beforehand , either by personal experience or those of friends who know what they are talking about.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Thainesss said:

 

A steak in "The Rib Room" at The Landmark Hotel in Bangkok. 

 

Best steak Ive ever had outside of the US, but by far the most expensive. 

Me too. But the best steak ive had since was in The meat company in soi lenkee pattaya but best if all the steaks are in Harlans Comfort in Pattaya. And half the price of the Rib room.

Link to post
Share on other sites

a few years back wife and I were going out 3 to 5 times a week to nice restaurants and when food shopping we filled the trolley with almost anything we wanted (including smoked hickory spam!!)..  

 

this year because my business is down the pan mainly due to exchange rates we are at the coupon counter more often than not..

 

or eating in..

 

  • Som tam + grilled chicken
  • Tuna / egg / salad / wraps / Tabasco sauce
  • chicken breast and rice with Tabasco sauce
  • chicken breast with veges with Tabasco sauce
  • grilled mackeral with roast veges (no Tabasco)
  • egg and rice + Tabasco sauce
  • omelette and rice + Tabasco sauce
  • sardines with rice (no Tabasco)
  • anything else with rice (add chillis and Tabasco sauce)
  • stir fried veges or veges in oyster sauce (with rice)
  • a nice piece of steak from macro once every week or so home cooked
  • spicy minced beef or pork (with rice)
  • occasional sushi/sashimi treat
  • bag of frozen prawns and fish fillets
  • dont forget corn flakes, weetabix and porridge oats
  • large bag o nuts for snacks and pickled gherkins
  • discounted premium coffee (i cant drink that tasteless rubbish coffee)
  • more Tabasco sauce

 

thats my 'on a budget' shopping list done for the month, no spam 🙂

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by NightSky
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

i swear i saw a box of pop tarts once and i think it said 300 baht on them, for three double packs (6) of those tasty, delectable treats. not nearly that delectable however. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, meand said:

i swear i saw a box of pop tarts once and i think it said 300 baht on them, for three double packs (6) of those tasty, delectable treats. not nearly that delectable however. 

Ahhh, Pop Tarts!  The food that inspires great music like this:

 

 

I haven't actually had one in about 50 years, even with butter on it. 

 

Fortunately, I was never tempted to buy the 250 baht cans of pasta, 345 baht corned beef or even 6-packs of Pop Tarts. Seeing a tin of Chef Boyardee pasta for 10x the price in NA would always make me laugh, though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...