BANGKOK
baneko

345 for a tin of corned beef

6 hours ago, manarak said:

take out your phone, price for 1Kg = price / weight in Kg

I can usually do the sums in my head but just saying a turkey costs £75 doesn't tell me what the kilo weight is it a 5kg Turkey or a 10kg or a 15 kg............

• Like 2

11 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Where is that available ?, used to be able to get Princess Corned beef, in TOPS,RimPing,

and TESCO, but have not seen any for quite a while, Corned beef ,Onion and Potato pies,Mmm.

regards worgeordie

Burirampieman. You can Google him.

Probably need to pay a bout 60 baht for delivery. Order a few tins to make it worth while.

• Thanks 1

Apparently SPAM is hugely popular in Hawaii, nicknamed 'Hawaiian Steak'.  Even McDs have it on their menu.

(Probably, coupled with high prices, another reason not to visit Hawaii)

Foodland two frozen kippers around 500 grams 693 baht. Medium sized Aussie turnip 280 baht. That is 7 bloody quid

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, champers said:

I had a bit of a yearning for some hot smoked salmon. Very nice with lightly pickled cucumber and beetroot with a good quality potato salad. Tops will have it, I reckoned, and sure enough they did at Pattaya's Central Festival food hall. Cost was 360 Baht, more than £9 for 1 piece of salmon. After the smelling salts brought me round I decided to take a pass on the salmon.

I have seen tinned corned beef at under 300 Baht a tin and, because of an endearing love for corned beef and piccallili butties, have sometimes yielded to temptation. Plenty of portions to be had from one tin, so can represent value for money.

And how much was the piccallili? 

Doesn't Yorkies make both Corned Beef and the aforementioned garnish? Well Eileen used to.

Edited by wgdanson

17 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

I dont own a factory in Argentina nor a tinning plant.

You must not be British.  My granny's recipe; make a salty curing brine with a little prague powder with pickling spices like mustard seed, allspice berries, coriander seeds, and peppercorns. Then you marinated a beef brisket in the brine, for 5 to 7 days. Once brined, you remove the brisket from the brine and simmer it in water with more pickling spices for several hours until tender.

https://heygrillhey.com/home-cured-corned-beef-pastrami/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

You must not be British.  My granny's recipe; make a salty curing brine with a little prague powder with pickling spices like mustard seed, allspice berries, coriander seeds, and peppercorns. Then you marinated a beef brisket in the brine, for 5 to 7 days. Once brined, you remove the brisket from the brine and simmer it in water with more pickling spices for several hours until tender.

https://heygrillhey.com/home-cured-corned-beef-pastrami/

That sir is not corned beef, I have an Aussie friend who makes the Aus version of Corned Beef, below is the Corned beef we refer to:

corned.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When I tell the Mrs of extortionate  prices ie 8 quid for a fray bentos pie or 30 quid for 6 Japanese strawberry's plus a million other things she says its because it comes a long way but I don't believe her 🤔

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

That sir is not corned beef, I have an Aussie friend who makes the Aus version of Corned Beef, below is the Corned beef we refer to:

corned.jpg

Corned-Beef-and-Cabbage.jpgDinner at Granny's

Edited by marcusarelus

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Corned-Beef-and-Cabbage.jpg

I can assure you sir that the two are like Chalk & Cheese, absolutely no comparison, may I suggest you buy a tin, chill in the fridge for a few hours, cut some thick slices apply to buttered bread cover with HP or Daddies Brown sauce add the other buttered slice and eat, I think you will agree that the tinned version is superior in every way to that tatty imitation you have posted 😎 

corned.jpg

• Like 2

For 345 bht, You can buy a half a kilo of beef brisket at Makros and make your own corned beef.

I had a steak that must have been 200 grams. 960 baht for it made me feel sick.

16 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I can assure you sir that the two are like Chalk & Cheese, absolutely no comparison, may I suggest you buy a tin, chill in the fridge for a few hours, cut some thick slices apply to buttered bread cover with HP or Daddies Brown sauce add the other buttered slice and eat, I think you will agree that the tinned version is superior in every way to that tatty imitation you have posted 😎 

corned.jpg

Gramps told me they did that during the blitz and later I did it on long distance sailboat races but never at home.  We always had corned brisket of beef for dinner and made hash the next morning for breakfast.  

• Like 1