Jump to content
BANGKOK
baneko

345 for a tin of corned beef

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

 

 

 

corned.jpg

I would not feed that to my dogs.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, steve187 said:

you must not be British.

Well I guess TVF is not just for poms is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Gramps told me they did that during the blitz and later I did it on long distance sailboat races but never at home.  We always had corned brisket of beef for dinner and made hash the next morning for breakfast.  

I know which hash I prefer for breakfast !     LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I would not feed that to my dogs.

Too much salt for dogs you'd kill em.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Corned beef in a tin was war rations when fresh beef was not available.  No one really eats it unless the Germans are bombing do they?  Or on Nelson's ship during the battle of Trafalgar. 

wouldn't pay that for the equivalent weight of real corned beef let alone that crap in a can..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

You must not be British.  My granny's recipe; make a salty curing brine with a little prague powder with pickling spices like mustard seed, allspice berries, coriander seeds, and peppercorns. Then you marinated a beef brisket in the brine, for 5 to 7 days. Once brined, you remove the brisket from the brine and simmer it in water with more pickling spices for several hours until tender.

 

https://heygrillhey.com/home-cured-corned-beef-pastrami/

 

 

and when you eat that you'll never make the mistake of calling the canned crap corned beef again..

Edited by from the home of CC
grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

 

Corned-Beef-and-Cabbage.jpgDinner at Granny's

prefer mine deli style, sliced razor thin and stacked 2 inches high on crusty bread, spicy brown and strubs dills 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Toosetinmyways said:

Foodland two frozen kippers around 500 grams 693 baht. Medium sized Aussie turnip 280 baht. That is 7 bloody quid

In some tesco you can find 2 frozen mackerel ready to grill for 69 baht

 

Its next to the frozen squid and frozen fish heads 

Edited by NightSky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

I can assure you sir that the two are like Chalk & Cheese, absolutely no comparison, may I suggest you buy a tin, chill in the fridge for a few hours, cut some thick slices apply to buttered bread cover with HP or Daddies Brown sauce add the other buttered slice and eat, I think you will agree that the tinned version is superior in every way to that tatty imitation you have posted 😎 

corned.jpg

I thought this was a foodie thread????

 

Then someone posts that a tin full of bovine toe nails, testicles and a@@eholes, mixed with a little meat is superior to home made corned beef brisket. 

 

Must have been mistaken.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

prefer mine deli style, sliced razor thin and stacked 2 inches high on crusty bread, spicy brown and strubs dills 

Difference between Jewish and Irish cuisine.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, marcusarelus said:

Difference between Jewish and Irish cuisine.  

true, where I grew up every city has a deli, my Thai wife loved it too when we were both over..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I thought this was a foodie thread????

 

Then someone posts that a tin full of bovine toe nails, testicles and a@@eholes, mixed with a little meat is superior to home made corned beef brisket. 

 

Must have been mistaken.

I have no problem with your comment, a bit like certain fast food outlets so called "Chicken Nuggets" and the ingredients therein, however having been brought up in the UK in the 50's I appreciate things like "OUR" Corned beef compared to yours, the first time I tried your Corned Beef was maybe only 3 years ago, it has absolutely no comparison to our canned bully beef and as I have previously stated they are like chalk and cheese, I prefer mine to yours, it's as simple as that, and not whether one is a heathen for liking something he was brought up on, remember we still had rationing and as a child I played on bomb sites in the middle of London. unlike you guys from USA, Aus & NZ that were shielded from the actual physicality of the war, Yes I know you lost a lot of sons, brothers & fathers as did we and I remember them each and every day almost. Truce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Golden Triangle said:

I have no problem with your comment, a bit like certain fast food outlets so called "Chicken Nuggets" and the ingredients therein, however having been brought up in the UK in the 50's I appreciate things like "OUR" Corned beef compared to yours, the first time I tried your Corned Beef was maybe only 3 years ago, it has absolutely no comparison to our canned bully beef and as I have previously stated they are like chalk and cheese, I prefer mine to yours, it's as simple as that, and not whether one is a heathen for liking something he was brought up on, remember we still had rationing and as a child I played on bomb sites in the middle of London. unlike you guys from USA, Aus & NZ that were shielded from the actual physicality of the war, Yes I know you lost a lot of sons, brothers & fathers as did we and I remember them each and every day almost. Truce.

Not sure what you mean about "ours and yours".

 

I come from UK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Not sure what you mean about "ours and yours".

 

I come from UK.

That was mainly directed towards our U.S. and Commonwealth members who don't seem to have had the pleasure of a tin of bully beef, hence the ours & yours comment, most of them have never tried it and fob it off as crap 🙂 At least I have had both so feel qualified to comment. 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Golden Triangle said:

That was mainly directed towards our U.S. and Commonwealth members who don't seem to have had the pleasure of a tin of bully beef, hence the ours & yours comment, most of them have never tried it and fob it off as crap 🙂 At least I have had both so feel qualified to comment. 🙂 

But you were quoting me???

 

I too have tried both. I also remember the scandal of the Argentinian corned beef in the 80s.

 

Most processed, canned meat is crap. Let's face it. As are most supermarket bought sausages and burgers, pies and pasties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...