Report -- Tourist visa entrant [ Falang ] from Laos, got "legitimisation of parenthood" at amphoe office where child is registered, & got extension of stay at provincial I.O. for reason of visiting the child ; Question

1st

Tourist visa entrant [ Falang ] from Laos ;

2nd

Obtained "legitimisation of parenthood" at amphoe office [ Thailand ] where child is registered ;

I was informed to return in next week for to collect the certificate

Moreover,- there would also be a courtesy English language translation version of actual certificate for benefit of me a Falang.

However, upon returning on scheduled day,- amphoe staff inform me that they discovered since that translation version not possible.

And,- I learn that certificate [ Thai ] was actually available from day of my application.

As due certificate of legitimisation of parenthood,- I was given a plain double-sided black ink printed sheet & it bearing a blue ink stamp from the amphoe office ;

3rd

Obtained extension of stay [ 60 days ] at provincial immigration office, distant from me & my family, for reason stamped into passport ;

viz.

"Visiting Thai Children"

Note 1 ;

Stamp into passport page does not state ;

"Legal Parent of Thai Child"

Perhaps there is a difference between this term & the term "Visiting Thai Children" ?

I did not have the actual birth certificate of my Thai child [ my woman insisted that photocopy would suffice ], & offered photocopy of it instead.

However,- the staff stressed that actual birth certificate should be submitted as part of my application for extension.

I promised to them that I will return as soon as possible with actual birth certificate.

And,- I did visit this office on last day of my permission to stay, & late in the day too.

Because I needed to stay in amphoe so as to attend to my child staying as hospital in-patient being treated for dengue fever [ now discharged from hospital ], & I got lost traveling alone to this office.

Note 2 ;

Extension of stay for this reason is given once only per entry to LOS

Note 3 ;

If applicant had visa-exemption entry,- they could also get extension of stay for this reason.

Note 4 ;

Ref.

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_78

"... APPLICATION FOR VISA OR VISA STATUS ALTERATION (NON-O): FOR A FAMILY MEMBER OF A THAI (APPLICABLE ONLY PARENTS, SPOUSE OR CHILD)."

Ref. my current situation ;

Possible* to covert to non-immigrant visa type "O" from the immigration office

i.e.

convert from tourist visa to non-O visa at the immigration office

or

convert from the extension of stay to non-O visa at the immigration office

However,- particular immigration office wish that I instead apply for Non-O for above basis at Thai Consulate outside of Thailand.

.............................................................................................................

Ref.

The following evidence of income must be submitted.

A guarantee letter from the local or overseas Embassy or Consulate, proving the monthly income of the Applicant not less than Baht 40,000 per month;

QUESTION ;

Will immigration office or Thai consulate flexibly accept for income condition approx THB 39,000 from pension alone as "mean average" monthly income throughout the proceeding 12 months [ inclusive ] into my Thai bank account ?

Total income from pension alone of approx. THB 466,000 [ consisting of monthly sums of mean average perhaps approx. THB 38,000 for 11 months of year PLUS approx. THB 48,000 for Christmas ] enters into my Thai bank account throughout the immediately previous 12 months ?

Thus,- my regular income from pension alone is perhaps approx. THB 39,000 [ approx. THB 1,000 shy of above stipulated THB 40,000 .... ???? ]

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

Edited by Our Man in the Tropics

You do not need to be the legal father of your child to apply for a 60 day extension to visit them.

The legitimization is only needed is to apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration based upon being the parent of a Thai.

You could apply for a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry (category O) based upon qualifying for an extension of stay for being the parent of a Thai at immigration.

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry you could apply for an extension of stay.

The proof of income from your embassy is not available for those from the UK, America and Australia.

If you cannot get the proof of income from your embassy the 40k baht income must be proven by transfers into a Thai bank a account.

If you are short of 40k baht from your pension it would be best to supplement it every month by transferring enough to reach the 40k baht number.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You do not need to be the legal father of your child to apply for a 60 day extension to visit them.

I did not know this

This is very useful information for many foreigners to know.

But,- I expect that immigration will insist on submission of at least birth certificate bearing name of applicant as father.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The legitimization is only needed is to apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration based upon being the parent of a Thai. 

You could apply for a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry (category O) based upon qualifying for an extension of stay for being the parent of a Thai at immigration.

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry you could apply for an extension of stay.

I thought that to apply for change of visa status to non immigrant visa entry ( category O ) did not involve, let alone require, basing it upon qualifying for extension for being the parent of a Thai child ;

It seems to be like been allowed to have dinner [ visa entry ( 90 days ) ] because applicant qualifies for receiving desert [ extension ].

Interesting logic.

And,- I presume that this argument is common with many jurisdictions worldwide so.

Ref.

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATION FOR VISA OR VISA STATUS ALTERATION (NON-O): FOR A FAMILY MEMBER OF A THAI (APPLICABLE ONLY PARENTS, SPOUSE OR CHILD.
  1. The application must be submit more than 15 days before visa expiration ...
  2. 1.1 Form TM.86 for the foreigner, who has Tourist ... and applies for Visa Status Alteration and applies for non-immigrant visa ...

Note ;

Ellipses [ ... ], above, indicate portions omitted because they apparently do not relate to my specific situation

I remind myself that I definitely could not apply for alteration of tourist visa to non immigration visa ( category O ) because I was within final 15 days of my visa expiration.

But,- I gather that this immigration office, because of their local policy, will not accept altering tourist visa to non immigrant category O visa even were I to have more than 15 days remaining before expiration of tourist visa.

Ditto no acceptance were I to apply more than 15 days remaining before expiration of the extension they just gave to me.

Instead they want me to obtain non-immigrant visa from Thai consulate in neighboring country, & then later obtain extension of that from them.

And,- I gather that they wish to refuse applications which are claiming THB 40,000, or more, per month income or THB 400,000 savings bank a/c or fixed deposit bank a/c already seasoned for however minimum number of months.

QUESTIONS :

1_

If not snookered by UK, USA, & Australia, refusnik consulate, & u wish to avoid going to ur lovely consulate & paying them the equally lovely fees,- will immigration accept applicant submitting the standard bank proof documents ?

2_

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you are short of 40k baht from your pension it would be best to supplement it every month by transferring enough to reach the 40k baht number.

Automatic deposit machine [ ADM ] / cash deposit machine [ CDM ] deposits within LOS into one's Thai bank a/c is acceptable ?

3_

And, if the supplements commence only in the last few months leading up to submission of application,- is that acceptable ?

4_

Will 2_ [ above ] result in the applicant being accused of earning income in LOS ?

If you don’t have an embassy letter or 400K in the bank you need to show foreign transfers of at least 40K going in to your Thai bank account. They should only need to see 2 or 3 for the first extension.

They can accept an average income for family based extensions, but don’t count on it. It’s best to ensure you have at least 40K going in every month.

4 hours ago, elviajero said:

If you don’t have an embassy letter or 400K in the bank you need to show foreign transfers of at least 40K going in to your Thai bank account. They should only need to see 2 or 3 for the first extension.

They can accept an average income for family based extensions, but don’t count on it. It’s best to ensure you have at least 40K going in every month.

Thank u for hopeful substance in answer which also appearing to be from assured hand strengthens the hope that extra foreign transfers bringing my monthly income for the latest 2 or 3 months to at least THB 40,000 when I submit proof from my Thai bank a/c of my income will suffice for income condition.

QUESTIONS ;

1_

Do I need to submit this proof at Thai consulate in Savanakhet were I to apply for non immigrant visa category O there ?

2_

Do I need to submit this proof at Thai immigration office when I apply for the extension ?

3_

Must I apply for the extension ONLY at immigration office of same changwat where my child lives & is registered ?

7 hours ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

1_

Do I need to submit this proof at Thai consulate in Savanakhet were I to apply for non immigrant visa category O there ?

No. You don’t need to supply proof of income when applying for the visa.

However, they might want to see a bank statement with at least 20K baht.

2_

Do I need to submit this proof at Thai immigration office when I apply for the extension ?

Yes.

3_

Must I apply for the extension ONLY at immigration office of same changwat where my child lives & is registered ?

It doesn’t matter where the child is registered. You apply at the office that covers the address you live at.

19 hours ago, elviajero said:

3_

Must I apply for the extension ONLY at immigration office of same changwat where my child lives & is registered ?b

It doesn’t matter where the child is registered. You apply at the office that covers the address you live at.

But,- surely there is the likelihood, or at least the probability, that policy of particular immigration office & / or opinion of particular staff, is that applicant if genuine ought to reside in same changwat, & moreover amphoe [ if not tambon ], as where child is registered & lives ?

Thus demonstrating sincerity of intent to fulfill fatherly role to their child.

Could a father be successful in applying at for example Chaeng Wattana, Bangkok, for this extension giving as their address an address in Bangkok, for child registered in say Chang Mai, & living in I guess Chang Mai also ?

31 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

Could a father be successful in applying at for example Chaeng Wattana, Bangkok, for this extension giving as their address an address in Bangkok, for child registered in say Chang Mai, & living in I guess Chang Mai also ?

Registered and living are two different things.

Where your child's house book registry is for makes to no difference to immigration.

When you apply for the extension your child will have to be with you.

For a one year extension of stay based upon being  their father you will need to prove your child is staying with you. 

42 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Registered and living are two different things.

Where your child's house book registry is for makes to no difference to immigration.

When you apply for the extension your child will have to be with you.

For a one year extension of stay based upon being  their father you will need to prove your child is staying with you. 

1_

Ref.

legitimisation of parenthood [ l.o.p ]

1_1_

"Child's registered address" is relevant for application of l.o.p. ?

1_2_

"Child living at father's address" is not required for l.o.p. ?

2_

Ref.

a_

Non immigrant visa [ category O ] based upon being parent of a Thai child

&

b_

One year extension of stay at immigration based upon being parent of a Thai child

Per a_ & b_, above,- would the following proofs be likely to be acceptable by Thailand Ministry for Foreign Affairs [ a_ ], & also Thailand Immigration Department [ b_ ] :

2_1_

Proof that child stays overnight at home of father "every" day ?

2_2_

Proof only that child stays overnight at home of father "on weekends [ except Sundays where applicable ]" ?

Not weekends in such a case because for convenience of attending school,- better that child stays overnight at grandparents on nights before school-days.

2_3_

Proof only that child stays at home of father "for some of each day" ?

Child living at home of grandparents for some of each day.

Edited by Our Man in the Tropics