Where digital nomads can legally work in Asia

Where digital nomads can legally "work" in Asia these days?

What I mean is foreign companies paying foreign currency into foreigners' bank accounts, but the foreigners are physically located outside their home countries.

As Thailand is becoming less and less of an attractive or even a legal option, we digital nomads would like to know if these countries are fit for remote workers.

Developing economies: Vietnam, Cambodia, Philippines, Indonesia?

Advanced economies: Malaysia, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea, Japan?

Many Eastern European countries like Estonia, Serbia, Georgia, and Armenia are openly welcoming digital nomads. What about Asian countries?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's always the point that wherever you live you are using the local infrastructure, roads, hospitals etc., paid for from local taxpayers funds, therefore everybody working in that country and using the infrastructure should be contributing to tax collections. 

23 minutes ago, scorecard said:

There's always the point that wherever you live you are using the local infrastructure, roads, hospitals etc., paid for from local taxpayers funds, therefore everybody working in that country and using the infrastructure should be contributing to tax collections. 

I am not seeing exactly how this is different than a retired person who brings in their money and just spends it, as long as the digital nomad is really not competing for jobs within Thailand, not selling something within Thailand, etc.

Everyone is paying some taxes, just not income taxes.  We are paying consumption taxes of various kinds, depending on us, that can be a lot or a little, more than the average Thai I am pretty sure,  and the people we help to employee pay taxes and buy things, etc. Not just directly employ, but our economic activity.

If these people were in a Western country, would they earn enough to pay income taxes?  Up to the individual and where they live but I think most of them can get by because they leverage the lower cost of living, and minimal taxes, no daycare if they have kids, etc.  If that person is back in your country, you might be partially supporting them??

6 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

What's wrong with Thailand?

If the money comes into Thailand during the same tax year it was earned, you declare it and pay tax. If not, you don't.

The problem in Thailand is really one of available visas...

Nomad = freeloader / tax dodger. Unemployed or unemployable in their own country. Give us a break. Why would anybody who is a skilled on line worker choose Thailand? Except for the girlie scene. Work at home. Build a pension and come here on holiday. To me DMs are just above the rung of begpackers.

6 hours ago, amykat said:

I am not seeing exactly how this is different than a retired person who brings in their money and just spends it, as long as the digital nomad is really not competing for jobs within Thailand, not selling something within Thailand, etc.

Everyone is paying some taxes, just not income taxes.  We are paying consumption taxes of various kinds, depending on us, that can be a lot or a little, more than the average Thai I am pretty sure,  and the people we help to employee pay taxes and buy things, etc. Not just directly employ, but our economic activity.

If these people were in a Western country, would they earn enough to pay income taxes?  Up to the individual and where they live but I think most of them can get by because they leverage the lower cost of living, and minimal taxes, no daycare if they have kids, etc.  If that person is back in your country, you might be partially supporting them??

So we can all give up income tax in our home countries because we pay other taxes? DMs are just scroungers and blodgers wanting a free ride....basically illegal immigrants.  But from wealthy,  democratic countries.

31 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Nomad = freeloader / tax dodger. Unemployed or unemployable in their own country. Give us a break. Why would anybody who is a skilled on line worker choose Thailand? Except for the girlie scene. Work at home. Build a pension and come here on holiday. To me DMs are just above the rung of begpackers.

Not everyone wants to stay in their home country and be part of the rat race

Also if you can earn western wages and live here then you have more spending power.

If you are self employed then you will file a tax return with your income/exps etc and pay taxes in your own country. 

Can't see any problems with it whatsoever.

Thailand's medieval laws just are not set up to deal with anything post 1500 AD.

You sound extremely bitter and jealous about it!

27 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

So we can all give up income tax in our home countries because we pay other taxes? DMs are just scroungers and blodgers wanting a free ride....basically illegal immigrants.  But from wealthy,  democratic countries.

Utter BS, where do you get these nonsensical ideas from.

There are no western freeloaders in Thailand.

Everybody who lives here has to pay their way.

Mind boggling mindset

I trf in 2000 quid every month + more at times.

The economy therefore benefits from that and I am not a scrounger by any means. 

I have passive income from overseas and I don't need the likes of you telling me where I can live & that I am some kind of freeloader.

What is the difference between a retiree and myself, apart from age??

If you pay your tax in your home country, and salary goes into your foreign bank account or e-wallet, then you are free to travel all over the world as a nomad , you just need to apply for the right visa. 

If you try to get your salary into a Thai bank account or other countries , you will get in trouble sooner or later. 
So my advice is to never give up your home country. You could just have a postal address there and keep your bank accounts. Then enjoy travelling as a tourist/expat. 

I've been doing this for 10 years. 

2 minutes ago, balo said:

If you pay your tax in your home country, and salary goes into your foreign bank account or e-wallet, then you are free to travel all over the world as a nomad , you just need to apply for the right visa. 

If you try to get your salary into a Thai bank account or other countries , you will get in trouble sooner or later. 
So my advice is to never give up your home country. You could just have a postal address there and keep your bank accounts. Then enjoy travelling as a tourist/expat. 

Me too, there are a lot of jealous dinosaurs on this forum who had a slog away for 50 years and hate to see young blokes enjoying themselves here.

I know in my local community there are quite a few who are envious of me & over the years have said so to my face. 

I just laugh at them and their BP goes through the roof!

The world has changed with clouds all over the world, people can work remotely wherever they want to.

1 hour ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Why would you say that? A DM does not have to be a person that evades taxes in any way. It does not have to be an unemployed or unemployable person. Instead it´s often a person that realized they have a better potential as working for themselfs or as a freelancer as well as sometimes a company owner.

I guess you can give us a break. Your statements are totally wierd. As for why a person that has built up a freedom that allowes them to work remotely from any country in the world should choose Thailand? Only for the girly scene? Get a grip! Your ar talking about the oldest profession in the world, which is available all over the planet. What do you think about this as some of the reasons? Nice and hot climate, beautiful beaches, a cheaper way of living and closer to Asia with all the freedom to travel around a very interesting part of the world.

Where have you been seeing any resemblance between people begging for money and people actually working for their salury? The fact is that a digital nomad has the responsibility to find their own work and clientele as well as meet up to deadline and expected quality. A lot more than ant employee that you seem to put on the top of the food chain has to compete and deal with in their daily work.

1 hour ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Why would we give up income tax? When does a digital nomad get a free ride?

7 hours ago, amykat said:

The difference between a retired person is that they worked their life paying taxes, and now can live out of the benefits of that. A person who works and to not pay taxes on their income is a person that contribute to breaking down the benefits for retirees by avoiding to pay the tax that makes it possible to retire.

You can not compare that to taxes on alcohol or cigarettes as well as not for road taxes. That money is to be used for different things, and will not be connected as a contribution to retirement capital.

Well I was only commenting on how it would affect Thailand, retirees vs digital nomad not paying income tax to Thailand, not everywhere in the world.  And in Thailand it seems most people do not pay income tax anyway and consumption taxes must supply most of the budget but I don’t know what the numbers are.  Auto taxes are pretty staggering and import taxes of all things, I bought a few cars and many imported things constantly, tax when you buy property etc, so even as a retired person, I’m sure I contributed quite a decent amount of taxes.

For Americans I think it would be difficult to avoid taxation, we pay on worldwide income, so moving doesn’t help, if money comes to you, you are obliged to pay some jurisdiction somewhere.

Oh, I love these "digital nomads"... :whistling:

You "physically" go to work in an office and then spend 6 hours a day working online and you need a work permit

Work on your computer for 6 hours a day in a hotel room or cafe and miraculously you don't :whistling:

I think Thailand along with other countries should either:

1) set-up a legitimate way for people to work online with a WP and thus pay taxes.

or

2) Strictly enforce the Visa and work regulations. I and others have to abide by them :wai:

RAZZ

14 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

Oh, I love these "digital nomads"... :whistling:

You "physically" go to work in an office and then spend 6 hours a day working online and you need a work permit

Work on your computer for 6 hours a day in a hotel room or cafe and miraculously you don't :whistling:

I think Thailand along with other countries should either:

1) set-up a legitimate way for people to work online with a WP and thus pay taxes.

or

2) Strictly enforce the Visa and work regulations. I and others have to abide by them :wai:

RAZZ

The medieval laws are there to protect Thai workers from the evil foreigners stealing all their precious high paid jobs!!

9 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

The medieval laws are there to protect Thai workers from the evil foreigners stealing all their precious high paid jobs!!

No, you are wrong.

That is only certain occupations which are on the "protected list". Nothing to do with being a digital pikey or having a work permit for other jobs.

http://www.mol.go.th/en/content/page/6347

However, like everything in Thailand there are ways to get around this eg. I have seen non-Thai shop workers and Managers.

RAZZ

11 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

I don't work so I have the correct visa.

Never heard of an illegal visa, please educate me on this!

Ok, if you're going for the pedant award of the day maybe I should've written "correct" visa or extension of stay.

RAZZ

3 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

No, you are wrong.

That is only certain occupations which are on the "protected list". Nothing to do with being a digital pikey or having a work permit for other jobs.

http://www.mol.go.th/en/content/page/6347

However, like everything in Thailand there are ways to get around this eg. I have seen non-Thai shop workers and Managers.

RAZZ

Why would you use the term 'digital pikey'?? 

It can only be because you deem yourself to be superior or are jealous

You have obviously been brainwashed by the Junta too, very sad the lack of critical thinking from many on here.

Also why do you care that digital nomads exist?

It has no effect whatsoever on your life, just let people live their lives. As long as they are not hurting anybody what's the point of your anger?

"Where digital nomads can legally "work" in Asia these days?"

AFAIK there is no "digital nomad" visa anywhere in Asia.  You just need visa of some kind for the period it suits you, and reasonable Internet. You are most likely working online and paying taxes in a different jurisdiction, technically it is difficult to monitor and prevent you doing this in whatever country you go.

Cambodia used to give easily 1 year business visas without any questions asked.  Two years ago I spoke with a few digital nomads in Danang, Vietnam, they told me quite a few people are moving from Chiang Mai to there..so it looks like there is a way to get some sort of long term visa there too.

You are not "welcomed" as a digital nomad in EE, there are just suitable visas and nobody cares if you work online or not. Also most EE countries are EU members and if you don't have an EU passport it would be difficult to stay there permanently.

16 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Why would you use the term 'digital pikey'?? 

It can only be because you deem yourself to be superior or are jealous

You have obviously been brainwashed by the Junta too, very sad the lack of critical thinking from many on here.

Also why do you care that digital nomads exist?

It has no effect whatsoever on your life, just let people live their lives. As long as they are not hurting anybody what's the point of your anger?

That is were you are wrong again. I suggest you use a bit of "critical thinking" yourself.

Selfish millennial or any "digital nomads" fail to contribute to greater society as a whole by not paying direct taxation where they live. What pays for the police, public infrastructure etc etc? Oh yeah, direct taxation!

So yes is does effect me and others because they aren't paying their share.

But then again..."It's all about me"...with no thought of the greater good and personal social responsibility.

RAZZ

2 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Utter BS, where do you get these nonsensical ideas from.

There are no western freeloaders in Thailand.

Everybody who lives here has to pay their way.

Mind boggling mindset

I trf in 2000 quid every month + more at times.

The economy therefore benefits from that and I am not a scrounger by any means. 

I have passive income from overseas and I don't need the likes of you telling me where I can live & that I am some kind of freeloader.

What is the difference between a retiree and myself, apart from age??

Not good enough...you probably are getting boom boom for free and not building mansions in Isaan, helping the sick buffaloes to get better etc...

Having done some research.. Tho some of this is based on a couple of years ago, lots changes. 

Singapore allows working remotely, for 'short stay' visitors, without a singapore work permit. Like developed economies this seems fully legal for 'non residents'. I believe Hong Kong is the same but I didnt get an absolute legal answer. 

Cambodia, allows a long stay working visa easily, but seems to have no way to have a fully legal work permit without domestic engagement. Much like Thailand theres no enforcement and the possession of a working visa, and no cambodian business would seem tolerated more than Thailand. 
PI is again similar, B visa possible 

Indonesia, Vietnam, Myanmar, all fully illegal and clearly. 

Laos, couldnt get any data or info.. 

3 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

That is were you are wrong again. I suggest you use a bit of "critical thinking" yourself.

Selfish millennials fail to contribute to greater society as a whole by not paying direct taxation where they live. What pays for the police, public infrastructure etc etc? Oh yeah, direct taxation!

So yes is does effect me and others because they aren't paying their share.

But then again..."It's all about me"...with no thought of the greater good and social responsibility as a whole.

RAZZ

I'm on a retirement O-A visa here and definitely not paying any direct taxation here in Thailand. 

Many of these youngsters work and pay taxes in retirees' countries and jurisdictions, and so paying their pensions too.  

3 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Not everyone wants to stay in their home country and be part of the rat race

Also if you can earn western wages and live here then you have more spending power.

If you are self employed then you will file a tax return with your income/exps etc and pay taxes in your own country. 

Can't see any problems with it whatsoever.

Thailand's medieval laws just are not set up to deal with anything post 1500 AD.

You sound extremely bitter and jealous about it!

Except that is against the law.. You dont get to pick your tax base. 

1 minute ago, LivinLOS said:

Having done some research.. Tho some of this is based on a couple of years ago, lots changes. 

Singapore allows working remotely, for 'short stay' visitors, without a singapore work permit. Like developed economies this seems fully legal for 'non residents'. I believe Hong Kong is the same but I didnt get an absolute legal answer. 

Cambodia, allows a long stay working visa easily, but seems to have no way to have a fully legal work permit without domestic engagement. Much like Thailand theres no enforcement and the possession of a working visa, and no cambodian business would seem tolerated more than Thailand. 
PI is again similar, B visa possible 

Indonesia, Vietnam, Myanmar, all fully illegal and clearly. 

Laos, couldnt get any data or info.. 

It's a win win for 3rd world countries with young intelligent vibrant people putting money into the economy, whilst not affecting the employment of the locals. 

2 hours ago, balo said:

Factually wrong. 

If you have passive income from a non Thai source this would be correct, if you have to work for that income, you are working while physically inside the kingdom, a per a physical presence test, and you need a work permit and owe income taxes from day 1.

Archived