Where digital nomads can legally work in Asia

1 hour ago, Shoban said:

Curious, do digital nomads prefer to constantly travel, or do they look to set up a permanent base in a country with low cost living?

This guy ended up making Malaysia his base

https://nomadcapitalist.com/2013/11/11/easy-permanent-residence-in-asia-malaysia-investor-visa-program/

but i noticed the majority of nomads like to travel to the next place as soon as their visit visa expires.

Each to his own, it basically just means someone is location independent.

It's just a marketing term, most people prefer the word remote work.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/29/2019 at 5:29 AM, sunnyboy2018 said:

Nomad = freeloader / tax dodger. Unemployed or unemployable in their own country. Give us a break. Why would anybody who is a skilled on line worker choose Thailand? Except for the girlie scene. Work at home. Build a pension and come here on holiday. To me DMs are just above the rung of begpackers.

Go back to 1963 and whinge about good old days in Payttaya

1 hour ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Each to his own, it basically just means someone is location independent.

It's just a marketing term, most people prefer the word remote work.

When is "work" not "work"...oh yeah, when it is "remote work". :whistling:

RAZZ

Flame post and response removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

9. Please do not respond to insults with more insults but rather use the report button to report inflammatory posts.

On 8/15/2019 at 1:17 PM, balo said:

Then why do you need to post the same BS week after week ? 
I sent 5 e-mails yesterday, and I had 1 Skype call from a business friend. 

All you do is scaremongering. 

I rode my scooter without a helmet on, and a policeman didnt arrest me, its legal !! 

Anyone pointing out the law which wasnt enforced that time, is scaremongering. 

Short Answer : Look at Vietnam and Malaysia.

Vietnam has best infrastructure for online work - of your Developing list.

(In the larger cities)

Malaysia seems to be lowest cost of living in your Advanced list.

The proper visa, for any country, is driving by a variety of factors - your tax home, time in country - and your intent.

Apologize if this is a double post, I keep getting logged of when I hit submit. 

On 7/29/2019 at 7:17 AM, amykat said:

Well I was only commenting on how it would affect Thailand, retirees vs digital nomad not paying income tax to Thailand, not everywhere in the world.  And in Thailand it seems most people do not pay income tax anyway and consumption taxes must supply most of the budget but I don’t know what the numbers are.  Auto taxes are pretty staggering and import taxes of all things, I bought a few cars and many imported things constantly, tax when you buy property etc, so even as a retired person, I’m sure I contributed quite a decent amount of taxes.

For Americans I think it would be difficult to avoid taxation, we pay on worldwide income, so moving doesn’t help, if money comes to you, you are obliged to pay some jurisdiction somewhere.

haha yeah that is crazy, Americans are taxed so much, and yet still no real free healthcare as a choice. 
I have a friend who is originally from Singapore. She moved to the US some years ago and she works for a security firm. She earns quite a lot actually, but she pays tax back to Singapore and to the US. Also, if she moves away, she has to pay tax to the US for a certain amounts of years, even though she isn't from the US. It's totally insane. 
If I am not mistaken, people from the UK as example do not have to pay tax back to their nation if they work overseas. 

6 hours ago, Globe Trotter said:

haha yeah that is crazy, Americans are taxed so much, and yet still no real free healthcare as a choice. 
I have a friend who is originally from Singapore. She moved to the US some years ago and she works for a security firm. She earns quite a lot actually, but she pays tax back to Singapore and to the US. Also, if she moves away, she has to pay tax to the US for a certain amounts of years, even though she isn't from the US. It's totally insane. 
If I am not mistaken, people from the UK as example do not have to pay tax back to their nation if they work overseas. 

Only USA and Eritrea have these worlwide citizinship based taxes. 

Eritrea is only 2% taxed tho, so basically its only the USA. Land of the free ????

If you “live” in a country and work online, you should be setting up a company and doing all the correct paperwork.  This is true for any country.  Unfortunately, this does cost some money and hassle, but it can get you a proper work permit and visa status. 

If you are “traveling,” it gets much more complicated. Addresses change, you may or may not have a base, etc.  Common approaches are setting up a company in a country of convenience, or your native country. It isn’t realistic to set up a company in every country you travel through.  

If you are traveling, the correct visa would be a tourist visa.  Where it gets complicated is the line between the two.  If you spend less than 90 days in any place, tourist seems like a pretty safe label; 6 months is likely pushing up against the line though. 

If you “live” in a country and work online, you should be setting up a company and doing all the correct paperwork.  This is true for any country.  Unfortunately, this does cost some money and hassle, but it can get you a proper work permit and visa status. 

If you are “traveling,” it gets much more complicated. Addresses change, you may or may not have a base, etc.  Common approaches are setting up a company in a country of convenience, or your native country. It isn’t realistic to set up a company in every country you travel through.  

If you are traveling, the correct visa would be a tourist visa.  Where it gets complicated is the line between the two.  If you spend less than 90 days in any place, tourist seems like a pretty safe label; 6 months is likely pushing up against the line though. 

1) you can't own a thai ltd
2) no one wants to deal with a thai company from a customer perspective
3) if you do IT work you normally want sth that gives you excellent IP protection laws and has a good reputation, like Dubai in the UAE, Singapore, UK. Thailand has nothing to offer.
4) you don't setup a company in some third world hole just because...you live there for a while. And then u end up with 5 companies after 10 years and your whole business is a mess?? [emoji848] Clients can't even find you because you are hiding behind a new company after moving to laos...

Sorry but this is extremely bad business advice.
The only reason to setup a thai ltd is to deal locally in thailand.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

On 8/26/2019 at 5:09 AM, ThomasThBKK said:

4) you don't setup a company in some third world hole just because...you live there for a while. And then u end up with 5 companies after 10 years and your whole business is a mess?? emoji848.png Clients can't even find you because you are hiding behind a new company after moving to laos...

Sorry but this is extremely bad business advice.
The only reason to setup a thai ltd is to deal locally in thailand.

You are right.

Technically if you setup a limited in a country which is convenient for you you will get dividend (income from investment is not work) and salary because if you work for a limited company you are just an employee. Even if you own that company and you are the director.

There is no difference in working in Thailand for a foreign company or working for a foreign company you own.

Archived