Phuket needs better tourism radar, says ex-minister

webfact

By The Nation

800_5e32bc5ac38a670.jpeg?v=1564304499

Former tourism and sports minister Weerasuk Kowsurat has offered advice to the Phuket tourism sector on taking the travel trade on the resort island to the next level.

Speaking at a recent seminar titled “What I Say When I Talk about Phuket”, Weerasuk noted that the number of conventional tourists visiting Phuket has stabilised, perhaps due to the global economic situation, but said tour businesses should meanwhile continue improving their services and responding to complaints.

Currently 60 per cent of the island’s visitors are engaged in “foreign individual tourism” (FIT), a segment difficult to monitor and collect data on regarding people’s behaviour and preferences. 

These are travellers who tend to avoid the primary attractions and stay in unregistered hotels, under the radar of state agencies and private travel associations. They base their choices on the advice of “influencers” found on social media.

To offset the impact FIT travel has on conventional tourism businesses, Weerasuk suggested that the Phuket Travel Association open membership to entrepreneurs newly setting up shop on the island and everyone living or just visiting there, as well as local businesspeople.

It could thus continue adding to its travel database and gauge the number of tourist arrivals more accurately.

The scale of the hotel business must be pinned down, he said. It should be determined whether such operations are legal and all should be identified on GPS maps – with a red pin for those unregistered, a yellow pin for those in the process of registering and a green pin for those registered. 

With a comprehensive picture, measures could be taken against the illegal accommodations.

Weerasuk said it’s too expensive to travel around Phuket via public transportation, a result of poor management and poor law enforcement. It’s a drawback widely discussed on social media, which could be beneficial in forcing transport companies to address the issue.

He also recommended that the Phuket Chamber of Commerce coordinate efforts to establish a one-stop-service office where investors could receive guidance.

And the tourism association should develop ways for visitors to submit complaints online and search social networks for consumer advice in dealing with problems that arise.

Weerasuk said Phuket is a great location for filmmakers, in itself a boon to tourism, but it needs its own set of regulations as to where movies can be shot safely and legally.

He suggested that tour businesses, increasingly reliant on Chinese visitors, broaden their capabilities in Mandarin, seek out and hire travel agencies in China to bring them customers, and ensure low prices while improving services. 

Weerasuk believes the next big sources of tourists will be India and Russia, while the market elsewhere in Asia should also be cultivated because it’s been overlooked for too long.

He warned, though, against cutting prices too low in response to increasing competition. It will harm the industry in the future, he said.

He encouraged Phuket’s tourism management agencies to develop and promote more unique activities and food specialities across the island, tapping government expertise as needed.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/travel/30373811

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-07-29

Phuket is dreadfull. OK for well organised tours and activities. Some good beaches away from the main beach but the centre and the night life area is awful especially compared to Pattaya. The transport is a disgrace  and the locals the most unfriendly i have met in 30 years in Thailand. They are hostile,  mean spirited,  entitled...a bunch of rotters. There is an Islamic anti western vibe there too.

28 minutes ago, webfact said:

Speaking at a recent seminar titled “What I Say When I Talk about Phuket”, Weerasuk noted that the number of conventional tourists visiting Phuket has stabilised,

Nice way of putting it. Maybe some sort of admission that the numbers aren't as suggested.

28 minutes ago, webfact said:

Currently 60 per cent of the island’s visitors are engaged in “foreign individual tourism” (FIT), a segment difficult to monitor and collect data on regarding people’s behaviour and preferences. 

These are travellers who tend to avoid the primary attractions and stay in unregistered hotels, under the radar of state agencies and private travel associations. They base their choices on the advice of “influencers” found on social media.

Absolute tosh!

29 minutes ago, webfact said:

It could thus continue adding to its travel database and gauge the number of tourist arrivals more accurately.

So, they're admitting they don't know how many tourists visit Phuket despite quoting that numbers have increased by specific percentages.

30 minutes ago, webfact said:

The scale of the hotel business must be pinned down, he said. It should be determined whether such operations are legal and all should be identified on GPS maps – with a red pin for those unregistered, a yellow pin for those in the process of registering and a green pin for those registered. 

With a comprehensive picture, measures could be taken against the illegal accommodations.

If they want to take action against unregistered accommodations it doesn't really reqire all this additional work

33 minutes ago, webfact said:

Weerasuk said it’s too expensive to travel around Phuket via public transportation, a result of poor management and poor law enforcement. It’s a drawback widely discussed on social media, which could be beneficial in forcing transport companies to address the issue.

It hasn't happened yet. It won't happen any time soon.

35 minutes ago, webfact said:

Weerasuk believes the next big sources of tourists will be India and Russia, while the market elsewhere in Asia should also be cultivated because it’s been overlooked for too long.

Russia? He obviously hasn't visited Kata and Karon!

36 minutes ago, webfact said:

He warned, though, against cutting prices too low in response to increasing competition. It will harm the industry in the future, he said.

He encouraged Phuket’s tourism management agencies to develop and promote more unique activities and food specialities across the island, tapping government expertise as needed. 

Agree, though perhaps without the last clause!

This man was a failure in his job. The measure of success of any Tourism Minister is how many tourist Hubs they can create in their term of office. I can only recall Weerasuk Kowsurat creating 3 or 4 whereas his predecessor the engaging Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul promoted dozens of them. Two of her better ones were:

1. Durian Kit Kat Hub 

2. Pokemon Go Hub

The new minister Pipat Ratchakitprakan shows promise, he created 3 on his first day in office. But the question is, can he maintain that high output?

1. The Hub of Massage and Ganja

2. The Hub of High Safety Standards

3. The Hub of International Sporting Events

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Instead you should increase the prices to make up for the losses, and to prevent us from appearing cheap.

3 hours ago, madmitch said:

Nice way of putting it. Maybe some sort of admission that the numbers aren't as suggested.

Absolute tosh!

So, they're admitting they don't know how many tourists visit Phuket despite quoting that numbers have increased by specific percentages.

If they want to take action against unregistered accommodations it doesn't really reqire all this additional work

It hasn't happened yet. It won't happen any time soon.

Russia? He obviously hasn't visited Kata and Karon!

Agree, though perhaps without the last clause!

Its easy to get 99% of numbers coming to phuket get immagration to give their figures at phuket international cos we are all scanned, plus the airlines that fly here from the 2 main bangkok airports. I would not think many would put their life in bus drivers hand from bangkok. Not dificult is it. Der. And as for tours stop 5* hotels charging more for tours than what if you booked from 3* hotels. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

He suggested that tour businesses, increasingly reliant on Chinese visitors, broaden their capabilities in Mandarin,

Wishful thinking as there are not that many place to learn Chinese.  Those from Lao and Burmese learn the speak as they are on the border with China.  Cambodia has schools that turns out thousands of Mandarin speakers every year.  Thailand has a few on the Malaysian border who engage in trade.  Not sure when or if Thailand will have meaningful access to Chinese tuition.    

5555 more useless rhetoric, they have seen this problem coming for ages but like most officials here can never been effectively proactive in dealing with problems, it’s always reactive BS and nothing changes.

just look for someone or something else to blame for the problem.

10 years ago we use to head off to Phuket a few time each year, now it is the last place in Thailand I would visit.

The problems there have been well documented over the years and never really addressed and I agree with the OP that found recently people generally there to be the most unfriendly bunch of AOs you could meet in Thailand.

Years ago I did not recall this Phuket crappy attitude by the locals, something changed drastically in Phuket over the last few years.

59 minutes ago, helloagain said:

Its easy to get 99% of numbers coming to phuket get immagration to give their figures at phuket international cos we are all scanned,

But that doesn't give you the breakdown of people coming through the airport.

Tourists from overseas or Thai domestic workers!

3 hours ago, Cadbury said:

This man was a failure in his job. The measure of success of any Tourism Minister is how many tourist Hubs they can create in their term of office. I can only recall Weerasuk Kowsurat creating 3 or 4 whereas his predecessor the engaging Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul promoted dozens of them. Two of her better ones were:

1. Durian Kit Kat Hub 

2. Pokemon Go Hub

The new minister Pipat Ratchakitprakan shows promise, he created 3 on his first day in office. But the question is, can he maintain that high output?

1. The Hub of Massage and Ganja

2. The Hub of High Safety Standards

3. The Hub of International Sporting Events

good points but no one has had the insight to take it to the next level and checkmate all other Ministers by simply pronouncing Thailand to be the "hub of all hubs"

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Yes, I know I have an obscure mind, but I can't help thinking when seeing 'tourism radar', of a WW2 film dialogue:

"Bandits ferangs at three o'clock group leader immigration control centre, one believed to be on a three-day overstay."

"Roger, message understood. Will intercept them all at the Three Pagodas Pass."

Goodness, with people like this at the helm you can be sure that Phuket tourism has a bleak future. What is this obsession with 'unregistered' hotels? The guy is looking backwards and not forwards to the new realities. You need to make Phuket safe for tourists, to stop the rip offs and forget about trying to monitor where the tourists are day in day out. 

7 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Phuket is dreadfull. OK for well organised tours and activities. Some good beaches away from the main beach but the centre and the night life area is awful especially compared to Pattaya. The transport is a disgrace  and the locals the most unfriendly i have met in 30 years in Thailand. They are hostile,  mean spirited,  entitled...a bunch of rotters. There is an Islamic anti western vibe there too.

I have been to Phuket many times. My first time was in 1976! There was not much there at the time, and it was a kind of paradise. Just a few bungalow complexes up and down the Western beaches, all at around $3 a nite. Came back in 1993. It sure had changed, but was still a paradise for a single man. My trips there since then, have confirmed it has gone downhill fast. Bangla is horrendous. Most areas are reminiscent of the whole Kuta-Legian-Seminyak area of Bali. A commercial wasteland, but without the Indonesian culture. And as for the girls, they have all but disappeared. Sorry, Bangla does not count! The place is a pale shadow of it's former self. 

The only thing the island has going for it, is the Andaman. But, you have to get to some remote areas to really enjoy it. It is spectacular. 

My first time was in 1976! There was not much there at the time, and it was a kind of paradise.

Call some place paradise - kiss it goodbye!!  The Eagles

...meanwhile untreated toxic raw sewage flows over the beaches and into the surrounding sea.

The main reason tourists come to the island of Phuket is because of the beaches and sea.

Get the water & beaches clean, and you will get a sustainable and strong tourism increase.

Keep the toxic sewage flowing, and expect much bigger tourism declines going forward.

35 minutes ago, Is this real said:

What makes anyone think that Thailand wants Tourists or Expats? 

It does not.

Hasn't been so for years.

Just pay attention.

That's bs. Plenty of decent Thai people are hurting and have everything invested in tourism. 

It's a select few at the top that hurt it. The old taxi cartels are owned by some very powerful people. They hold back the public transport progress. 

Corruption is a problem for Thais too, they can't even be vocal about their grievances out of fear. 

Phuket needs to stop:-

Beating tourists.

Taxi drivers cheating them.

Others robbing from them.

Tourist operators from unsafe activities. 

Patrol its beaches with lifeguards. 

Etc.

Etc.

Then maybe the numbers will improve again. 

It has a reputation as the place NOT to go. 

54 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Phuket needs to stop:-

Beating tourists.

Taxi drivers cheating them.

Others robbing from them.

Tourist operators from unsafe activities. 

Patrol its beaches with lifeguards. 

Etc.

Etc.

Then maybe the numbers will improve again. 

It has a reputation as the place NOT to go. 

Not happening it's over turn the light out on your way out

7 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:
1 hour ago, Is this real said:

Because there is a government agency called TAT that promotes tourism?

Just a wild stab in the dark.

There you go, bringing logic into it - you must know it doesn't work here.

Excellent advice:- :cheesy:

"To offset the impact FIT travel has on conventional tourism businesses, Weerasuk suggested that the Phuket Travel Association open membership to entrepreneurs newly setting up shop on the island and everyone living or just visiting there, as well as local businesspeople.It could thus continue adding to its travel database and gauge the number of tourist arrivals more accurately."

So they can manipulate the tourist figures even further upwards, and fine more "illegal landlords" (e.g. an alternative to having to fill in a TM 30 form if I visit my in laws for the weekend!) 

P,S.  "Weerasuk noted that the number of conventional tourists visiting Phuket has stabilised," He means that the numbers visiting Phuket are (at least)  least 30% DOWN!

2 hours ago, Is this real said:

It does not.

Hasn't been so for years.

Just pay attention.

Dumbest comment I've seen on here in a long time.

Archived