Spanish tourist dies in plunge from waterfall on Koh Samui

webfact

Spanish tourist dies in plunge from waterfall on Koh Samui

Spanish-tourist.png

A male Spanish tourist is believed to have accidentally fallen to his death as he attempted to descend from a waterfall on Samui Island in Thailand’s southern province of Surat Thani on Saturday.

The victim, 26-year old David Alejandro Rocamudi Conesa, reportedly became separated from a group of his friends as they were exploring the Na Muang 2 waterfall. However, after they returned to their hotel and, as he had not returned by nightfall, David’s friends asked the hotel staff to alert the authorities.

A search and rescue team from the Kuson Songkroh foundation was dispatched to the waterfall, where they searched the path which visitors use to ascend the waterfall, but found no trace of the man.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/spanish-tourist-dies-in-plunge-from-waterfall-on-koh-samui/

6 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

He might not be dead . As long as they did not find his body , everything is possible .

"Must read Spanish tourist dies in plunge from waterfall on Koh Samui "

Read the link:

The team later focused their search on the gaps between boulders along the water’s edge and eventually found the victim’s body trapped between two boulders and partially submerged.

1 hour ago, Tidybeard said:

I am not sure how many in total, but it seems like about 2 or 3 die each year at Na Muang 2... maybe need some better safety protection putting in place ?

why? this is a natural place, not one for tourists perking about everything (no experience, outfit not suitable, no safety shoes but rubber slippers, partially drunk etc.)

12 minutes ago, thurien said:

why? this is a natural place, not one for tourists perking about everything (no experience, outfit not suitable, no safety shoes but rubber slippers, partially drunk etc.)

Partially drunk ???? I often wonder how many hours the majority of foreigners in Thailand would survive where i come from? The environment where i lived thins out stupid at a rapid rate. You either learn fast to have common sense or your dead.

img026_edited-1.jpg

We constantly hear about people either getting seriously injured or killed at these waterfalls. I would estimate several per year. They should post signs warning tourists of the dangers, but I am not sure that would help. Some people just like to push the envelope. 

2 hours ago, Tidybeard said:

I am not sure how many in total, but it seems like about 2 or 3 die each year at Na Muang 2... maybe need some better safety protection putting in place ?

Like people turning their Common Sense switch to “On”!   

Poor bugger and so young too.

yep I agree with the posts on this place dangerous. Most of thai your spots and raised walkways and safety railings are death traps.

i don’t go on these goat tracks and uncontained sheer drop places at all as I take a look at the unserviceable old rusty rickety structures (if the existence at all!) n think the better of it.

There are waterfalls all over the planet and no shortage of young daredevils wanting to clamber up them. Neither signs nor fences will deter them.

Occasionally one will slip and become a statistic. Cant blame the country nor the environment.

4 hours ago, Tidybeard said:

maybe need some better safety protection putting in place ?

Young people take grater risks, especially young men – something to do with brain development not yet finished – it also includes traffic.

You can put up signs, but that might probably not work, nature should rather be gated off, as nature is dangerous, and access to waterfalls and slippery patches along them should be prohibited. However, that's not what I believe the majority of tourists want!

We also see people swimming, when they should not swim. Presumable same number, or more, as killed by waterfall-trekking drown each year at Samui. Red flags and warnings don't seem to help, so maybe gating and closing the beaches during monsoon and periods with high waves?

In nature, walking at waterfall patches and jungle, and swimming, you should never walk or swim alone, if you are not very – or rather extremely – experienced, and preferably know the local area. Not so long ago a British TV-star fell and broke a leg when all alone exploring the waterfall up the Maenam Soi 1 hills. Only because locals were wondering why a rental-bike had been parked for several day by the entrance patch, a search began. He luckily survived after a couple of days alone without ability to move, and in pain.

Not to forget the major killer of young tourists – and tourists in general – on Samui: the traffic. Being a regular daily driver on the island, I have experienced numerous young men on suicide mission in the traffic – some of them shall be happy for my instant reaction capability to hit a brake pedal – not to forget the one young man on a motorbike that could have killed inside a gasoline station, when he lost control of the machine. Perhaps tourists should not be allowed driving?

Accidents, especially fatal accidents, are sad – very sad – but life is a risk, and young people take greater risks; I believe I also did it, when I was young.

3 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Sure this very low season and draconian laws has saved countless lives this year but unfortunately not on this occasion ????Rip

Late July/August is high season on Samui.

I am not sure what your comments have to do with the fate of this poor individual. Nature can be cruel. Death happens everywhere. Hopefully it was a very unfortunate accident and not a wilful one.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

We constantly hear about people either getting seriously injured or killed at these waterfalls. I would estimate several per year. They should post signs warning tourists of the dangers, but I am not sure that would help. Some people just like to push the envelope. 

The majority of accidents by foreigners is cause by their shear stupidity . Signs never matter. It helps thin out over population its called evolution .

19 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Young people take grater risks, especially young men – something to do with brain development not yet finished – it also includes traffic.

You can put up signs, but that might probably not work, nature should rather be gated off, as nature is dangerous, and access to waterfalls and slippery patches along them should be prohibited. However, that's not what I believe the majority of tourists want!

We also see people swimming, when they should not swim. Presumable same number, or more, as killed by waterfall-trekking drown each year at Samui. Red flags and warnings don't seem to help, so maybe gating and closing the beaches during monsoon and periods with high waves?

In nature, walking at waterfall patches and jungle, and swimming, you should never walk or swim alone, if you are not very – or rather extremely – experienced, and preferably know the local area. Not so long ago a British TV-star fell and broke a leg when all alone exploring the waterfall up the Maenam Soi 1 hills. Only because locals were wondering why a rental-bike had been parked for several day by the entrance patch, a search began. He luckily survived after a couple of days alone without ability to move, and in pain.

Not to forget the major killer of young tourists – and tourists in general – on Samui: the traffic. Being a regular daily driver on the island, I have experienced numerous young men on suicide mission in the traffic – some of them shall be happy for my instant reaction capability to hit a brake pedal – not to forget the one young man on a motorbike that could have killed inside a gasoline station, when he lost control of the machine. Perhaps tourists should not be allowed driving?

Accidents, especially fatal accidents, are sad – very sad – but life is a risk, and young people take greater risks; I believe I also did it, when I was young.

In a period of a week i watched three foreigners die on motorbikes on Samui. Cause of death they should have never been on a motorbike period. Once again severe lack of common sense.

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

There are waterfalls all over the planet and no shortage of young daredevils wanting to clamber up them. Neither signs nor fences will deter them.

Occasionally one will slip and become a statistic. Cant blame the country nor the environment.

more young people die taking selfies

One lesson I learned from my 'near mishaps' whilst visiting places like this.... 

get the right shoes on! Flip-flops (thongs) are deadly, especially when wet. They might look cool but really aren't suitable when traversing slippery surfaces like wet rocks

23 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

Partially drunk ???? I often wonder how many hours the majority of foreigners in Thailand would survive where i come from? The environment where i lived thins out stupid at a rapid rate. You either learn fast to have common sense or your dead.

img026_edited-1.jpg

Yep, those bears don't mess about ...... we're on the menu ....

As an example of how idiots kill themselves by pushing the boundaries, there has been 28 deaths in the last 15 years at the fairly innocuous Serpentine Falls near my home town of Perth. The most recent was a young German tourist a year or so ago.

Apart from signs, etc., rangers patrol there and issue infringements to people who go outside the marked pathways. Yet 28 have killed themselves this century!

falls.png

21 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

In a period of a week i watched three foreigners die on motorbikes on Samui. Cause of death they should have never been on a motorbike period. Once again severe lack of common sense.

Sure that is true. But, also a severe lack of driving skills. Many come to Samui figuring the renting of a bike would be a nice thing to do. I do not really know how to ride a motorbike, but this is a peaceful little island, the bikes are cheap, and lets get some sunshine.

They have no idea what they are in for, how extremely dangerous the Samui roads are, and the amount of skill, awareness, caution, intelligence, patience, and fortitude it takes to survive on the roads there. 

Getting on a scooter, or a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand, much less Phuket, Phangan, Dark Tao, or Samui without a very good helmet, is like playing Russian Roulette with three or four bullets in the chamber. It is absolutely asking for problems. The degree of recklessness here is astounding. And many foreigners come here thinking "how much trouble could I get in on a little scooter, on a tropical island"? Well, the answer is alot. The amount of foreigners who are killed on the Southern islands is staggering. Most are not reported in the media. I had a friend who worked for Samui rescue for many years, and said the numbers were about 30-60 a month, on Samui, Phangan and Koh Tao. The official number is about 3 a month. Rider beware. Use as good a helmet as you can afford, and do not use these eggshells pieces of crap. They crack at the first impact, and what lies underneath them? Your skull, which is very delicate. 

Just ask yourself- do I have enough problems already, without a broken skull, or smashed head, or face injury, or lost eye? I have two friends who have been in motorbike accidents on Samui within the last two years. One still cannot walk, or talk or function on her own, from a motorbike accident, where she hit her head on the pavement going only 20 kph. The other one has lost alot of his mental capacity after hitting his head. He insisted for years he would never wear a helmet. Now, he seems 15 years older. 

Archived