Spanish tourist dies in plunge from waterfall on Koh Samui

webfact

On 7/30/2019 at 11:41 AM, spidermike007 said:

I read somewhere that it was more than 500 per year on Samui alone.

When I check guests in I usually give a bit of a chat about Samui.

Part of the chat is always - do not rent scooters. Samui has the highest death rate in the world, 4 international hospitals for scooter accidents, scams and scooters are not insured etc etc. I also tell guests to take care when at the waterfalls. No diving from a great height etc.

During June's 'schoolies hols' we had a groups of 17 lads from HK staying in two villas. All under 19. I gave them the chat BIG time - then they rented scooters.

On check out, I asked how many had had an accident or fallen off? All of us was the reply!

Duh - Darwin is on a roll.

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

I read somewhere that it was more than 500 per year on Samui alone.

When I check guests in I usually give a bit of a chat about Samui.

Part of the chat is always - do not rent scooters. Samui has the highest death rate in the world, 4 international hospitals for scooter accidents, scams and scooters are not insured etc etc. I also tell guests to take care when at the waterfalls. No diving from a great height etc.

During June's 'schoolies hols' we had a groups of 17 lads from HK staying in two villas. All under 19. I gave them the chat BIG time - then they rented scooters.

On check out, I asked how many had had an accident or fallen off? All of us was the reply!

Duh - Darwin is on a roll.

I refer to the massive bruises, scars, scabs, and other horrendous marks left on the body, after a vacation on Samui, as Samui tattoos. 

On 7/29/2019 at 9:51 AM, Mitkof Island said:

Partially drunk ???? I often wonder how many hours the majority of foreigners in Thailand would survive where i come from? The environment where i lived thins out stupid at a rapid rate. You either learn fast to have common sense or your dead.

I go walking with tourists nearly every week to waterfalls.

They've had no experience of slippery rocks and just ignore warnings.

This is in the morning, nobody is drunk, but they all know better than the experienced hikers.

In the past month, one broken ankle, and one torn open knee.

Archived