Thailand’s food delivery business up 14% in 2019

webfact

Thailand’s food delivery business up 14% in 2019

By Tim Newton

AppFood_Banner.jpg

“Diners are increasingly ordering food online platforms, and eating out at restaurants less.”

We’re eating in more and dining out less. But we can still enjoy our favourite restaurant food. Welcome to the latest ‘disrupter’ making inroads to our eating habits.

KResearch (a part of Kasikorn Bank) estimates that the food delivery business in 2019 will amount to 33-35 billion baht, up 14% from last year. Food delivery apps are another example of ‘digital disruption’, and are transforming consumer behaviour as well as the restaurants’ food supply chains.

(Thing Food Panda, LineMan and Grab Food among many other franchises and individual restaurants now offering boutique delivery services.)

It’s estimated that food delivery apps and businesses will account for 8% of Thailand’s total restaurant business in 2019.

The findings show that 63 percent of the respondents to a survey believe that the advent of food ordering apps has changed their food consumption behaviour. Diners are increasingly ordering food online platforms, and eating out at restaurants less.

The burgeoning food delivery and related application business has increased opportunities for players in restaurant supply chains, including small and big restaurants, to generate more income as they can reach out to new groups of customers beyond their regular catchment of regular eaters.

Delivery motorbike riders can also earn extra income by receiving business from online food delivery platforms; the market share of the delivery motorcycle services is estimated at 3.9 billion baht this year.

Restaurant chains are being forced to add channels for receiving food orders from outside customers and offer a wider variety of menu options.

One thing is for sure, you will see more motorbikes zipping around your area delivery all sort of foods to homes around Thailand.

Mmmm, I feel like a pizza!

dh-bg-home.jpg

Source: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thailands-food-delivery-business-up-14-in-2019

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-07-29

To be honest, eating at a resturant has become expensive as apposed to eating in the comfort of ones dwelling, which is normally far cheaper with less agro such as rude staff, poor customer service, getting to and from a resturant especailly when using the death trap roads as well as avoiding the RTP in readiness to pounce to gain tea money, or the tipping, noise, pollution, heat, humidity and so on...,

I'm surprised foreigners do not have to report their every single move from one location to another. I guess tagging will soon be introduced or a form of chipping to follow. Don't forget about the TM30, BIG BROOTHER IS WATCHING YOUR EVERY MOVE. lol!

There has certainly been an increase in manically driven motorcycles with an insulated food container strapped to the back. Usually weaving one handed through traffic whilst the rider searches the GPS on his phone for the destination...

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Restaurant chains are being forced to add channels for receiving food orders from outside customers and offer a wider variety of menu options.

Oh the horror of it all.

Having to cater to customer desires and giving them choices. 

I was going to post in another group, does anyone sell on food panda? 

We looked into it for the sister-in-law, the commission charge was 30% + VAT. You seem to encouraged to offer a small discount to online orders and after waiting a month for your money, the sister said, “so I make 50% less then” 

I don’t see a lot of vendors jumping to this method in the foreseeable future, despite the research. 

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

Only time it makes sense to order delivery is when hung over. Then you won't mind the food having turned into sloggy mush in the styrofoam containers. 

Just your food.  I imagine they have a star by your name.  My KFC comes hot and fresh never soggy.  My Pizza the same on time and the driver smiling.  

20 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

My KFC comes hot and fresh never soggy.  My Pizza the same on time and the driver smiling.  

I think we have differing standards. I like my pizza crispy, meaning it has to be eaten within 5mins of coming out of a wood fired oven. Putting it in a cardboard box turns it into a rubber frisbee in no time. KFC I wouldn't touch with a barge pole (unles severely hung over and it's the only thing available). But each to their own.

Archived