Back you go! Thirteen foreigners with no money denied entry to Thailand

webfact

Back you go! Thirteen foreigners with no money denied entry to Thailand

2pm.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Naew Na reported that Saturday was a busy day for the Region 2 immigration police at Suvarnabhumi airport.

They denied entry to 13 foreigners who couldn't show money to support their stay and were clearly not in the kingdom for purposes of tourism. 

They didn't have insurance either. 

The foreigners would be sent back to where they came from - they were three each from Ethiopia, India and Myanmar and two each from Vietnam and South Korea. 

Naew Na said it was all done according to Article 12 (2) and (9). 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-29

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it hard to believe that so many people in one day arrived without any money. As we all know the ATM machines are located AFTER immigration, and we have all heard of countless occasions when people with plenty of money have been denied before they got that far. As for being denied for no insurance, I wasn't aware that had become mandatory yet.

Sadly this Article 12 (2) and (9) has been used against people without them knowing about it on many occasions when arriving in the kingdom.  This has become the most common excuse to deny foreigners entry into Thailand.

The real reason is that the person has too many visa exempt entries into Thailand in the computer and in their passport!  

I know that in the past year on some days at land borders, 30 plus people were denied entry on visa exempt stamps and sent back.

I have gone so far at to recommend that friends who visit Thailand on a regular basis on a visa exempt stamp, actually have the requisite 20,000 baht cash and a return ticket in hand and put them on the counter with their passport when approaching the immigration officer.

Most times it works, but sometimes it doesn't!

12 minutes ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

Looks like immigration doesn't like guys who carry man purses.

EMPTY PURSES!  Tourism is a quality seeking venture now! New Que at the airport will read EXPRESS ONSITE VISA/ Have wallets and bank books open prior to approaching Immigration desk... Those deemed rich enough may pass!

13 minutes ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

Looks like immigration doesn't like guys who carry man purses.

Man handbags.

Thai thugs "nark leng" all over Bangkok have one for collecting  baht from illegal samlors, baht buses, gaming dens and pool halls.

All the leaders are connected to a local police station and no doubt immigration officers in tourist dives.

If a tourist has a manbag ..no joy!

Same as tourist attempting a wai.

23 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I find it hard to believe that so many people in one day arrived without any money. As we all know the ATM machines are located AFTER immigration, and we have all heard of countless occasions when people with plenty of money have been denied before they got that far.

The carrying cash requirement is straight out of the dark ages. Thailand really needs to wake up.

I spent three entire months in the US and Europe armed with just three credit cards and the equivalent of 100USD in cash. At the end of the trips I still had 80USD cash left, as all my expenditure had been done with cards. That included hotels, car rentals, fuel, all meals ......

30 minutes ago, stillhereandlovinit said:

And so it should, either money in the bank or mandatory insurance.

10k is required for no visas entry and 20k for a families. Nothing new here

Note that having the required 10,000/20,000 baht as laid out in the regulations will not help if the immigration official wants to deny entry. That only prevents denied entry under the Immigration Act Section 12 (9). The officials are now denying entry under the vague Section 12 (2) which (on its face) seems to imply lack of funds, but is being twisted to mean not a genuine tourist.

And then they detain these people.  Put them in a room until their flight out - but only on the same airline, to the same origin - is available.  Sometimes for days.

No reason required.  No true justification.  Could & does happen to anyone - including wealthy farangs.  Just at the whim of an IO. 

Nice country, Thailand.    

4 minutes ago, Lee65 said:

And then they detain these people.  Put them in a room until their flight out - but only on the same airline, to the same origin - is available.  Sometimes for days.

No reason required.  No true justification.  Just at the whim of an IO.

Nice country, Thailand.   

I think no money is enough of a reason like in most countries. No true justification ?????

51 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I find it hard to believe that so many people in one day arrived without any money. As we all know the ATM machines are located AFTER immigration, and we have all heard of countless occasions when people with plenty of money have been denied before they got that far. As for being denied for no insurance, I wasn't aware that had become mandatory yet.

It has not. But not having cash or proof of it does not help matters.

6 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

It has not. But not having cash or proof of it does not help matters.

Who on earth travels to another country with over 500 quid of foreign currency??

The exchange rates for changing currency in our home countries are beyond brutal!

People come here and then change at Super Rich or other places at their destination

Also why don't they notify all the embassies that this is a prerequisite to entering so they can update their pages.

Most people wouldn't have a scooby about it

1 minute ago, Sticky Wicket said:

really

Most of it is drama nothing more. YT vloggers love all the drama brings views. Immigration needs to focus on quality foreigners . Have money, don,t look like a slob, have the correct visa etc. Thailand is easy compared to most.

Archived