Seeking Divorce Advice

jimbob333

Been married to my Thai wife for 6 years,she has her own land house etc ( I don't want anything)

She has decided I am not rich enough for her and is looking to divorce me, I had a serious illness a few years ago which she loaned ( paid for) my treatment.

She is now claiming she wants it back in 7 days and I have offered to pay her back over 1 year.

She is getting shirty and saying she will go to the Police etc etc,what are my rights concerning this loan ( nothing in writing only verbal) and the fact I paid 6 years worth of bills and condo rental I don't like her attitude.

Like I said I fully intend paying back the money she paid for my treatment but don't need the pressure.

Is a loan from a spouse a Police matter or Civil?

I would suggest you get appropriate professional advice to know exactly how you stand and make a plan based on those "facts" not guesswork from an internet forum.

That said, if you have no record of any such agreement, nothing formal or in writing, then she has nothing on which to base her claim, and its civil, but thats just an opinion.

Get yourself the facts, and relocate if you see no chance of a reconciliation.

So this, as you know, obviously now is a bad situation. At this stage in the Thai woman's mind  *You are worthless* I would say she is at stage 5. Based on her behaviors mentioned.

My biggest tip would be to keep her ill informed of your intentions. Dont tell her too much. All you do and say will be used against you. Its tough, Im sure. Tell her what she wants to hear and try to offer her something to help ease the tension.

Maybe a bit of sexual advances or flirtation may sweeten things up a bit. Or a family member of hers that you feel good with? A third person close to her may help also.

I would consult and attorney, but if do not want to, as others have said....Disappear.  You know what you're dealing with.  Once dialogue goes down that path, you can't unring that bell.  Now you see the true colors.  There are too many other women on a planet with nearly 7 Billion people...you have billions of options for someone to coddle you with a vagina and give you the respect you/your bank account deserves.  

Let me be the one to put you at ease from legal point of you.

even if you had written agreement of a loan but fell behind in repaying , police would not get involved as long as you have been making payments.

if you were to go to court and even

though you have not paid off but were paying , court would not lock you up.

so you not having anything written leaves you scot free to do whatever you like.

so from the pint of threats , it’s all empty threats.

Personally, I would relocate to another town and cut all communications , get a lawyer and let lawyer handle all divorce proceedings and dealing with her. May not be cheap but a lot less stressful.

In regards to money owed, if you feel like paying it back , you can but do not legally have too. Alternatively you can make her an offer through a lawyer , something like full amount over a year period but if she wants all now , then you will only pay half and matter finished 

She willingly paid for your healthcare treatment...in fact, she said it was her gift to you...

There was never any mention of a loan...nor did she ever mention paying the money back until she got a case of the Thai female butt syndrome...

Do not agree to pay her back for the gift she freely gave you.

That's your story...stick with it...????

5 hours ago, jimbob333 said:

She is getting shirty and saying she will go to the Police etc etc,what are my rights concerning this loan ( nothing in writing only verbal) and the fact I paid 6 years worth of bills and condo rental I don't like her attitude.

Like I said I fully intend paying back the money she paid for my treatment but don't need the pressure.

Is a loan from a spouse a Police matter or Civil?

Agree to nothing, admit nothing to anyone, do nothing, wait her out.

"I don't remember that", "That's not the way I remember that happening"

She can't do a damned thing as a wife and husband are supposed to look after each other.

Keep your passport safe, they have been known to go on a 'document burning' rampage.

3 hours ago, BestB said:

Let me be the one to put you at ease from legal point of you.

even if you had written agreement of a loan but fell behind in repaying , police would not get involved as long as you have been making payments.

if you were to go to court and even

though you have not paid off but were paying , court would not lock you up.

so you not having anything written leaves you scot free to do whatever you like.

so from the pint of threats , it’s all empty threats.

Personally, I would relocate to another town and cut all communications , get a lawyer and let lawyer handle all divorce proceedings and dealing with her. May not be cheap but a lot less stressful.

In regards to money owed, if you feel like paying it back , you can but do not legally have too. Alternatively you can make her an offer through a lawyer , something like full amount over a year period but if she wants all now , then you will only pay half and matter finished 

Thank you

3 hours ago, ThaidDown said:

Under Thai Law agreements between husband and wife whether written or verbal can be cancelled by either party at any time and are therefore unenforceable.

You mean a loan agreement?

20 hours ago, jimbob333 said:

You mean a loan agreement?

Any agreement eg lease, loan, promise to do something etc.

(Usufructs may or may not be considered as an 'agreement', it epends on the judge, they have various views, but  that is not for this thread)

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 6:46 PM, jimbob333 said:

the fact I paid 6 years worth of bills and condo rental I don't like her attitude.

IMO offer her the balance between half of the amount you paid in rent and bills and the loan, OR you will pay back half the loan ( As I understand it, after marriage everything is 50/ 50 ), IF you really want to repay a "loan" from a wife.

Otherwise, you can call her bluff and tell her to take it to the family court. They may take the viewpoint that a wife is duty bound to help a sick husband and visa versa, without expecting a payback.

I very much doubt they'd accept you having to pay it back in a week.

Archived