Voice recognition latest

cheeryble

Hi

Im an early stage Parkinson's patient.

Among other things I'm starting to have trouble typing.......fingers seem stiff and slow and after a short while kinda cramp up in the forearms.

This will no doubt go downhill and i know you'll all miss me. 

Hate to see grown men cry so I need to use a voice recognition program.

I have a Macbook Air, an iPad Mini, and an android phone.

Ive used the built in Apple VR on the Mini. 

It gets better if I'm very careful with my speech, but its stop start and lots of correction.

Can anyone bring me up to date with the latest from Dragon etc.....has it advanced a lot?

Anything else?

Anything for iPad?

Can use smaller headset there days for when I'm out.?

Have to pay?

thanks in advance

22 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Can anyone bring me up to date with the latest from Dragon etc.....has it advanced a lot?

I have used Dragon Naturally Speaking since 1999 because of RSI in my right wrist, and DNS has progressed and the current version is DNS 15 (although I'm not sure it is called Dragon anymore??).

Sure the newer version is far better than the older versions, but it still has its foibles and sometimes I have to take a deep breath and get away from the computer before coming back to fix the problem, which I can usually do.

As you've probably gathered, I only use it on my computer (Windows 10) so don't know how it would work on "portable" appliances.

I did set an old version up for a friend of mine who was suffering from Lou Gehrig's disease and he was able to use it for quite some time before departing this mortal coil.

STOP PRESS....I have just noticed this on the net, so things don't look hopeful for you unless you can source one of the older versions of Dragon for Mac:

Via a press release, Nuance stated: “Dragon Professional Individual for Mac is being discontinued effective 10/22/2018 and will no longer be available for purchase…Customers who have purchased Dragon Professional Individual for Mac version 6 (“Software”) benefit from a perpetual license to the Software and may continue ...

I do have another suggestion for you if you care to give it a try, and that is if you can source an old/secondhand computer with Windows 7 or more loaded, then I can send you my old Dragon Naturally Speaking 13 disc along with the keycode so that you can install it and try it. I also have an old set of headphones which you could use for the set up and trial (you can keep them).

Let me know what you think because it's absolutely no problem for me to send you the disc if you can make use of it.

A new software update for mac ( OS Catalina ) will have improved voice controls. I haven't spent much time with the features etc, but it looked pretty impressive. It is also being updated for iOS ( I would assume iPadOS as well )

10 hours ago, xylophone said:

I have used Dragon Naturally Speaking since 1999 because of RSI in my right wrist, and DNS has progressed and the current version is DNS 15 (although I'm not sure it is called Dragon anymore??).

Sure the newer version is far better than the older versions, but it still has its foibles and sometimes I have to take a deep breath and get away from the computer before coming back to fix the problem, which I can usually do.

As you've probably gathered, I only use it on my computer (Windows 10) so don't know how it would work on "portable" appliances.

I did set an old version up for a friend of mine who was suffering from Lou Gehrig's disease and he was able to use it for quite some time before departing this mortal coil.

STOP PRESS....I have just noticed this on the net, so things don't look hopeful for you unless you can source one of the older versions of Dragon for Mac:

Via a press release, Nuance stated: “Dragon Professional Individual for Mac is being discontinued effective 10/22/2018 and will no longer be available for purchase…Customers who have purchased Dragon Professional Individual for Mac version 6 (“Software”) benefit from a perpetual license to the Software and may continue ...

I do have another suggestion for you if you care to give it a try, and that is if you can source an old/secondhand computer with Windows 7 or more loaded, then I can send you my old Dragon Naturally Speaking 13 disc along with the keycode so that you can install it and try it. I also have an old set of headphones which you could use for the set up and trial (you can keep them).

Let me know what you think because it's absolutely no problem for me to send you the disc if you can make use of it.

Most kind of you to offer....

I had seen that about Macs and wondered about using a PC.

It's a bit of a learning curve I'll absorb more info for the time being and work out what's what and for example compare DNS 13 and 15.

Again, thanks

5 hours ago, NiwPix said:

A new software update for mac ( OS Catalina ) will have improved voice controls. I haven't spent much time with the features etc, but it looked pretty impressive. It is also being updated for iOS ( I would assume iPadOS as well )

problem pasting......another time

13 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Most kind of you to offer....

I had seen that about Macs and wondered about using a PC.

It's a bit of a learning curve I'll absorb more info for the time being and work out what's what and for example compare DNS 13 and 15.

Again, thanks

Not a problem for me as my spare copy is just sitting here doing nothing.

I can offer a little feedback on the difference between DNS 13 and 15.........it appears that DNS 13 had some "quirks" in it which couldn't be fixed, or they seemed to have a problem fixing, whereas 15 had overcome that and 15 certainly has a much better and faster learning capacity, which means less mistakes and problems.

However it is my belief that once one gets used to the quirks, in the main they are able to be "gotten round" (I do believe part of the problem I had was because of some sort of rogue program I had installed elsewhere).

Another suggestion may well be to look on eBay or the like to see if you can see the last version of DNS for Mac for sale. I doubt it would cost much and it may well be worth a bit of a gamble for you.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Archived