Returning to UK to work at 62 - advice please?

jimballard

On 7/29/2019 at 6:27 PM, HansumFarang said:

You should be eligible to claim income support and housing benefit when you return - I know you might be unwilling to consider that, but its a safety net that you paid into for many years. Best to claim on day one when you get back - you won't see any money for a few weeks at least.

There is always a job for a minicab driver - indeed.co.uk is probably the best UK job site, although there are others. Here's some jobs on offer:

https://www.indeed.co.uk/Minicab-Driver-jobs

If you can save some money until your state pension kicks in, you will hopefully find yourself in a much better position soon. Good luck!

Have you tried to claim benefits recently?

There are so many hoops to jump through and the money isn't great for a single man.

If you do find work you are limited to a set amount of hours per week and any earnings

need to be declared and are deducted from the benefits.

I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago and the hassle and rewards were beyond

pointless. Mind you that was in Scotland and they were trying out the universal credit system.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/30/2019 at 12:20 AM, MarkyM3 said:

OP - UK economy is still pretty buoyant, the unemployment rate is low. I live and work here (age 48, IT sector in London) and spend 4 months of year in Thailand. Work should not be a problem to get, would think something like private hire cab, Uber, driving jobs, delivering cars would be good places to start. Sectors with lots of competition from cheap labour from Eastern Europe etc are ones to avoid imo.

Day to day costs are much more reasonable than you may imagine - food and clothing for example. Accommodation is costly and much more of an issue if based in SE England. Recommend you avoid that area unless your connection in Mitcham means you can wangle something. 

PM me for anything specific I might be able to help you with and  best of luck

PS My colleague was hired in his early 60s. So ageism is less prevelant here than you may imagine - not mandatory to put your age on a CV and age discrimination is not legal though in practice it's hard to prove otherwise I guess. From my personal experience - had 4 recruiters do cold approaches last week via LinkedIn (job networking site) so would seem to disprove that you are over the hill by your late 40s and certainly not in jobs like driving. Plenty of retirees deliver cars for example to top up pensions. 

Unfortunately your main problem, apart from the cost of accommodation, is going to be getting the necessary permits to bring your Thai wife to the UK. I assume your children have the British nationality, therefore they would be OK, but I further assume they would only come to the UK with their mother.

Best of luck!

On 7/30/2019 at 12:37 AM, Traubert said:

Get the wife to borrow against the house and go visa agent for your next extension. Buy some time. That 2k you're taking home is almost 80k baht, plus your airfares. It'll vanish quickly in UK and you're chasing again. It will cost nothing like 80k for an agent to get you two more extensions.

I don't know how close you are to 63 but in two years or more you'll get your Government pension and your income will double. I'm 62, I'll get my UK pension at 65.

My husband was 65 in feb but ad to wait till july for his pension so don.t think u will get yours at 65.good luck hope u do.by the way he should have ad is 3 weeks ago still not got it ????????

Typing this from Savannakhet. 

With the wife - as said previously photocopies of her info and my passport pages which can be done over the road from the Royal Thai Consulate.  Went there this morning at 7am and had breakfast at Pilgrims cafe.  Mini van turned up at 7:40 and disgorged a few people so I headed over to stand in line. 

Sign says visa applications between 8:30 and 11:30 is wrong.  The gate is opened at 9am. About 15 people in front of me.  I was out of there by 9:30 and back to the hotel.  Didn't think about the wife signing the papers as she was with me so she did it on the spot in a bit of a panic and signed the copies of my passport as well.  No problems.  Paid 5000 baht and hopefully will pick my passport and multi entry 12 month non immigrant O visa tomorrow. 

1500 for Lao visa

5000 for until non O visa

1800 for hotel two nights

Roughly 1000 baht in tuk tuk fares as the hotel is quite a way from the consulate. 

Throw in 500 baht for food.

We drove there from Surin and got a the bus across the bridge. 

Easily doable for 11000 or less as there are much cheaper places to stay and closer to the consulate.

Wife hit the markets and we'll be going to the duty free on the way back tomorrow. 

Of course this visa means you have to leave and return every 90 days but for me that's irrelevant as I only usually stay two weeks at a time anyway. 

Something for the OP to think about.  Not sure where in Isaan he is so his cost may vary and also needs to consider the 90 day costs.  But I think it will sure beat going back to the old country. 

Firstly If not a troll post, I always wonder why people have more than one child if they have no means to support the family. Im sure however this doesn't help you now. 

You can thank David Cameron and the uninformed Brexiteers for crashing the GBP and unknowingly separating you from your family.

I hope you have some good health to rebuild something.

In the UK try roomfinder.com to rent a low cost house share or rightmove and sort by lowest cost rentals for a low cost one bedroom flat 300gbp/month. The further North you live usually the cheaper the rent will generally be (East Yorks, North East etc)

Even this will cost you about 1200GBP/month to live. Sign on with all the work agencies in the area as a driver or warehouse operative or anything else you have skills for and show up for work when they dictate.

I don't envy you being separated from your family.

Hopefully the GBP will rise a little after October although you are out on a limb having no savings or investments and relying on luck to sustain good health especially living out in the sticks with 2 kids.

You could beg and borrow 150,000 to show 400,000 BAHT for you visa renewal although this wouldn't fix the longer term prospects and likely only make things worse if you are unable to earn money in Thailand.

Another way you could maybe fetch your wife to the Uk is if either you or your wife is a dependent for health reasons although with 2 kids Im not sure how that would work although then you would be a burden on the British tax payer which includes myself.

Ive been away from the UK for at least 17 years but intentionally I have kept strong ties with the UK in case the Sheeshkebab ever hit the fan and for me its difficult to earn in Thailand without speaking the language good enough to apply for the line of work m an expert in.

Good luck. As one door closes others usually open.

Phew  coming back to the UK will be a real change after so long away.  Especially if you have not been regularly working .I am the same age as you .. Not quite on uk state pension either yet.

Yes traditionally home base b&q would be good but they are closing down everywhere and pay is not that good. Taxis yes but issues as previously mentioned by other posters.. Take their advice but certainly lots more uber these days too.  Have you got your uk drivers licence still ? For renting consider a park home for a while. Lincolnshire is a good compromise for cheaper accommodation and there is quite a bit of driving / factory work and an area often forgotten for coming to. Lots if instant work through agencies that keep the wolf from the door. Google jibs in lincolnshire. There are lots of eastern European workers in this area but as their wages buys less in their home countries some are leaving. You can get a flat for £520 a month  .  often with weekly payment. London will have opportunities but as you will appreciate expensive. Maybe worth checking what benefits you can get when  first coming back.    I do the snow bunny to UK every winter and see the changes every time I return. Currently here in the UK and it can be depressing with the current uncertainty of brexit. Have you considered looking at a Malaysian backwater ( not penang or KL )to live in? 3 month  visitors visa and do a visa  run.  Rent can be cheap too?

Best to try and stay in Asia really if you can.... If not welcome back....

On 7/29/2019 at 6:37 PM, CG1 Blue said:

I don't know which part of the UK you'd prefer to be in, but Southend on Sea in Essex is a busy town with plenty of work for taxi drivers. The bigger local firms will provide the car, and once you've done the local knowledge you can get cracking. Rent for a flat is going to be a lot lower than London etc., especially if you look around places like Westcliff. 

As a bonus you'll be near the sea, so it'll feel just like Thailand (on the 2 sunny days we get per year ????). 

Good luck! 

This may be mentioned (not read the whole thread), but with modern phones local knowledge is not as much of an issue. Get Google Maps and WAZE (free)

AFAIK it's only big cities like London that actually test you on your knowledge

Oh and for a reasonably priced phone Tariff, I recommend Tesco Mobile.

3 hours ago, nickmondo said:

You are not correct about his retirement age.

if he is 62 now, he will get his pension at aged 66

this is 100% fact.

Well i'm 64 now and I get MY pension at 66. I believe that if you're 62 now the same will apply.

Ignore what anyone on TV says (including me!)  - remove any doubt, check on here https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-age

(Sorry if it's been posted before - I've not read the whole thread.)

The amount you get may well depend on past contributions as well.

On 7/30/2019 at 4:35 PM, BritManToo said:

What's wrong with the non o multi from Suvannakhet?

5,000bht and no financials, lasts 15 months.

But don't you need to leave every 90 days? I have such a visa based on retirement and I need to do 90 day "breaks". This is my choice but the Op may not have the funds.

On 7/30/2019 at 12:27 AM, HansumFarang said:

You should be eligible to claim income support and housing benefit when you return - I know you might be unwilling to consider that, but its a safety net that you paid into for many years. Best to claim on day one when you get back - you won't see any money for a few weeks at least.

There is always a job for a minicab driver - indeed.co.uk is probably the best UK job site, although there are others. Here's some jobs on offer:

https://www.indeed.co.uk/Minicab-Driver-jobs

If you can save some money until your state pension kicks in, you will hopefully find yourself in a much better position soon. Good luck!

wow they get near 60.000 thai baht salary pr week as cab taxi drivers !!!!!!! go go there its good money dam

5 hours ago, Udox said:

I'm not sure of your personal circumstances and understand its kind of private but I am wondering what will happen to your wife and two children? I believe without accommodation and a decent paying job of over 20,000 pounds, you won't even be able to apply for them to join you (assuming they are Thai of course). This is heartbreaking, that someone in an office in Bangkok is telling you that you don't have enough money to live on - when surely you know best. I wish one of the newspapers here or in UK could pick up on your story how, at aged 62 you are being forced to go back to your country and leave your wife and children here. I wish you all the very best, I really do. I'm sure there are others in the same boat.

Bit dramatic isn't it?  Nobody is telling hin how much he needs to live on.  They are telling him what is required to be able to continue to apply for an extension of stay. As they do to everybody. 

Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything. 

Don't forget that on a marriage extension he is able to work in Thailand as he can get a work permit. 

2 hours ago, VBF said:

This may be mentioned (not read the whole thread), but with modern phones local knowledge is not as much of an issue. Get Google Maps and WAZE (free)

AFAIK it's only big cities like London that actually test you on your knowledge

Oh and for a reasonably priced phone Tariff, I recommend Tesco Mobile.

Southend licensed cab firms do require you to take the test. I suspect it's the same in most large towns and cities. Probably rules laid down by the local councils? 

Phone apps etc. are all you need if you want to drive for Uber though. 

Thanks for all the replies. The picture in GB is not looking rosy. I have been in touch with a few old mates in Brum and the costs and pay are not looking too good. crap actuaLy. I am now planning to go to Dortmund in Germany. A mate is working on the spanners there and I can earn double the uk wage with living cost about same as UK. they are short of blokes as well. Don't really want to do it but nEd to. I am hoping to get an irish passport, never been there but grandad was from ireland. grumpy sister in Mitcham is helping out.

My retirement age is about 66. 63 in october so three yrars to wait. thanks to all.

This is why i guess as we get older we need to keep ourselves relatively fit and healthy.

This is why a lot of employers wont hire mature aged workers

its not easy as you become older to be crawling under cars to fix them,kneeling down,lifting boxes and  climbing stairs etc and having the energy to go all day.

Good luck Op

On 8/7/2019 at 1:48 AM, Speedo1968 said:

Brexit may make working in the rest of Europe difficult ?

No. For our class working in Europe was never an option. Closed shop and language restrictions and bureaucracy  made employment a one way street to Britain. English is the language of the word   not Romanian, Croatian or Polish etc. Nice try with the anti brexit jibe but the EU beneficiaries were employers and big business.  

4 hours ago, jimballard said:

Thanks for all the replies. The picture in GB is not looking rosy. I have been in touch with a few old mates in Brum and the costs and pay are not looking too good. crap actuaLy. I am now planning to go to Dortmund in Germany. A mate is working on the spanners there and I can earn double the uk wage with living cost about same as UK. they are short of blokes as well. Don't really want to do it but nEd to. I am hoping to get an irish passport, never been there but grandad was from ireland. grumpy sister in Mitcham is helping out.

My retirement age is about 66. 63 in october so three yrars to wait. thanks to all.

Good luck

Its hard when you have done nothing for a few years living the life in Thailand, but actually its great to get back working again and earning, been back in the UK for 3 years again and feel energized and fresh (similar age to you)

You will be surprised how things work out, think of it as turning a corner, London might be good money, but digs are horrendously expensive

Good luck, been there a few times always make it back to LOS eventually

5 hours ago, jimballard said:

sad you not take the advice myself and 1 or 2 others gave and you would be staying in Thailand, makes me think you must really want to be going back

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

This is why i guess as we get older we need to keep ourselves relatively fit and healthy.

This is why a lot of employers wont hire mature aged workers

its not easy as you become older to be crawling under cars to fix them,kneeling down,lifting boxes and  climbing stairs etc and having the energy to go all day.

Good luck Op

agreed im 63 work out most days and im very fit but i recon i only have about 5 hours work in me in 1 day

A few points, some may be mentioned already.

You will not get any Job seeker allowance, first they will not pay you for 3 months as you have been out of the country, and secondly because you have some income (pension?). Also very unlikely to get any other benefits without your kids being with you.

Credit history - You probably do not have one anymore, and no UK address. This will make renting a flat near impossible, or borrowing money. Even getting a new bank account could be an issue. As said, need to house share or lodge, and can still be expensive, In London even a room can be 600 GBP a month.

State pension. Be aware the New state pension system came in while you were out of the country, You need 35 years of contributions to get the maximum, and no married pension, widows pension etc. So do check online what your current pension projection would be - you may need to buy some added years.

I do not envy you at all, I was in a similar position with wife and daughter in Thailand, and nearly went back to the UK to work, but just survived until my state pension kicked in due to a small inheritance. Outside of accommodation and transport however, cost of living in the UK can be cheap if you eat at home and have no vices. I do hope that you resolve your problems.

8 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

No. For our class working in Europe was never an option. Closed shop and language restrictions and bureaucracy  made employment a one way street to Britain. English is the language of the word   not Romanian, Croatian or Polish etc. Nice try with the anti brexit jibe but the EU beneficiaries were employers and big business.  

Not intended as an anti-Brexit jibe.   I was thinking about possible visa requirements whatever ones nationality may be.   My own family have 3 different 'status' within the UK going back to the 50's and 60's.

Archived