Returning to UK to work at 62 - advice please?

jimballard

Ok guys. Not correct to say I am not listening. My problem is GBP is dropping and we don't have enough to live on each month until my Oap pension kicks in. 3 years to wait. Paying a visa agent or going another country every 90 days will only make the money situation worse.

I have now decided to work in Germany.   I don't speak a word of kraut and neither does my mate, but he is making nearly 4000 euro a month after tax spannering on hgvs. Brexit will be ok because I am applying for irish passport with help from sis in London. 

Thanks to all.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, jimballard said:

Ok guys. Not correct to say I am not listening. My problem is GBP is dropping and we don't have enough to live on each month until my Oap pension kicks in. 3 years to wait. Paying a visa agent or going another country every 90 days will only make the money situation worse.

I have now decided to work in Germany.   I don't speak a word of kraut and neither does my mate, but he is making nearly 4000 euro a month after tax spannering on hgvs. Brexit will be ok because I am applying for irish passport with help from sis in London. 

Thanks to all.

It isn't going to be as easy as you think, hope you've kept yourself in shape as I reckon you're in for a shock. Best wishes though.

Good luck, op. Crack on and keep your head down... three years isn't long these days.

Cheaper rents in Germany, too? Inevitable, but when you find yourself ruminating the free country to the point your head is imploding, remind yourself of the reason and that you will indulge once again. ????

2 hours ago, jimballard said:

Thanks to all.

Jim, do you have a guaranteed job? 100%

Sorry, but..... you’ll be ok.1st, go home and let your country look after you. You paid for it.2, your friends will help, good people want to help good people. 3, work long enough to build up a small parachute.4,GET THAT PENSION!!!  .5 return to LOS and live happily ever after. Your education prepared you for this, make the interweb work for you.its free ????

You don't speak/read German,

fair enough. 

I suppose  you want to live, and especially work legally in Germany,

that will not be that easy. 

Better start now to learn speak/read basic German. 

A lot of Germans are not that found of British. 

Well I suppose Germans are not that popular in the U.K. too. A

As the U.K. is still member of the E.U. you only need your passport to be able to work. 

That may change in November. 

Not my intention to make it  negative, but better be realistic. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.expatica.com/de/employment/finding-a-job/work-in-germany-finding-a-job-in-germany-102718/&ved=2ahUKEwi9lLfN7PvjAhUS448KHQCGCkUQFjANegQIDxAz&usg=AOvVaw2lqL21MP0pgrUBDW_3G6Di&cshid=1565562408051

• 1 month later...

to answer your question, getting a job at 62 after you have been out of the country 10 years with no job references, is going to be, to put it mildly, a royal bittch

but you do what you gotta do. youll find something, it may just be pretty low paying and just adjust your lifestyle to whatever your making. work your way up from there, or just save and return to thailand when you can afford to where things are cheaper and lifestyle is better, if its not worth working your way up at 62 (probably not). the sooner you start the easier it will be.

Archived