Dengue in Bangkok??

Crossy

Woke this morning, slight temperature, muzzy headache, all joints ache. 

Last time I felt like this was in Delhi at the start of a dengue infection ????

Dosed up with paracetamol, headed to work in the hope I feel better later.

Is dengue common in greater BKK? I've been spending too much time on construction sites over the last month, don't recall lots of mozzies mind.

Thoughts?

Crossy, hope you are okay and it is just a case of flu coming on. As you have had Dengue before, have you looked into the possibility of having the vaccine? I may well be wrong, but I believe the vaccine is suitable for people who have previous contracted Dengue.

It's not common but it can happen, even singapore had like 4000 dengue cases this year, they warn me whenever i fly in there with flyers. And they are really strict when it comes to mosquito breeding grounds.

So better be safe than sorry, Mahidol is the best place to get dengue stuff sorted...

We have a friend that died this year from dengue, in Udon tho... Young Thai girl... it's brutal.

Good morning

Just to help other people..

15 days back on sunday midnight I began to have heavy fever, no appetite, small muscle pain

Went to hospital and after blood test, some infection with white cells up.. they gave me tylenol and high dose of amoxycyllin

Monday night my husband got the same symptoms.. also gone to hospital and same treatment as the blood analysis did not get positive for dengue fever..

Were down and taking medicine, till thursday during the night where, going up, my husband fainted and his  blood pressure was down to 70/40 a few minutes later.. gone to hospital ASAP and this time got positive (both) for dengue fever.. he was hospitalized for 5 days due to his blood pressure antecedents,till his platlets had got back to normal, and I went on between hospital to stay with him and home..

We are both very much down and have on top of it a liver inflamation due to dengue and also some lung infection plus for my husband who previously had eyes problems, hemorragy in the eye.

So, it is not because the blood test does not give positive to dengue that you don t have it.. Mainly if you have other pathologies, be very carefull and go to hospital ASAP.

Forgot to say we are in Pattaya, and doctors said it is very rare that 2 people of the same family get it at the same time like us..

Have a nice day..

3 hours ago, domdom said:

Good morning

Just to help other people..

15 days back on sunday midnight I began to have heavy fever, no appetite, small muscle pain

Went to hospital and after blood test, some infection with white cells up.. they gave me tylenol and high dose of amoxycyllin

Monday night my husband got the same symptoms.. also gone to hospital and same treatment as the blood analysis did not get positive for dengue fever..

Were down and taking medicine, till thursday during the night where, going up, my husband fainted and his  blood pressure was down to 70/40 a few minutes later.. gone to hospital ASAP and this time got positive (both) for dengue fever.. he was hospitalized for 5 days due to his blood pressure antecedents,till his platlets had got back to normal, and I went on between hospital to stay with him and home..

We are both very much down and have on top of it a liver inflamation due to dengue and also some lung infection plus for my husband who previously had eyes problems, hemorragy in the eye.

So, it is not because the blood test does not give positive to dengue that you don t have it.. Mainly if you have other pathologies, be very carefull and go to hospital ASAP.

Forgot to say we are in Pattaya, and doctors said it is very rare that 2 people of the same family get it at the same time like us..

Have a nice day..

Hope you get well soon. Revovery can take a while. I don't think its all that rare for more than one person to get sick from a family- it was just one hungry mosquito that decided it wanted two meals (perhaps it got disturbed on the first feed, and wated another). I've heard of whole familes getting sick. 

Thankyou everyone for your advice and concern (for a Mod??).

Anyway I am feeling very much better this evening, if I'm still fine in the morning I'll write it off as a "24 hour bug" or some such, if not I'm off to see the quack.

If I was in an air controlled sealed room I would still get bitten by a bloody mozzie, always concerns me about dengue because I like to go out and photograph birds, which obviously are remote places, I spray loads of stuff on me but still the little gits get me

10 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Why is it only recommended if you’ve already had it?

A first infection of dengue is usually uncomplicated. 

A second infection may have complications like bleeding or death.

If you have never had dengue and get vaccination,  and if later you get a first infection,  your body may mistake this for a second infection. 

People in the Philippines have died this way. 

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, ericdk said:

What's the current state of dengue in Bangkok?

The "season" is just ending. There will be occasional cases here and there but not so many.

It peaks in and immediately after the rainy season.

11 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The "season" is just ending. There will be occasional cases here and there but not so many.

It peaks in and immediately after the rainy season.

Oh ok, that makes me less worried.

Any tips on how to avoid it?

Archived