Expats feeling the pinch as GBP sinks to an all time low against the THB

webfact

1 minute ago, TalingChanMan said:

Agree, in the same boat, getting paid in Thai Baht and trasferring back to the UK to cover mortgage etc, looking good at the moment. Although not sure how much my properties will be worth in the short term with all this Brexit choas.

Property here or UK ?. In UK then I suggest Brexit won't make much difference to the UK domestic values although in London there may be a short term drop as the financial sector goes through a rapid reduction.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Longbow212 said:

Who wrote this article? Such a narrow perspective.... not all expats here are coffin dodgers waiting on a pension. Many expats are earning a salary in Thai Baht.

This is why younger expats view TV as catering only for pensioners.

Yea right Farangs getting payed in Thai Baht I bet are less than 1-2% of the overall farangs living in Thailand...

7 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

more to come, down we go.... wait and see Boris fall

I'm not British, but after watching his performance during his initial presentation to parliament and observing his general buffoonry and orangutan-like body language, I was left quite speechless, only managing to mutter 'uh-oh' to myself over and over again. Worried for Britain, I am, indeed.

3 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

What you get when the nation (UK) gets hoodwinked and taken over by a bunch of right wing lunatics, who have no idea what they are doing and rely solely on hyperbole, bluster and outright bs

Seems to me that the so-called 'United' Kingdom is about to come totally unhinged/disunited. Scotland, gone at the first chance for a referendum. Ireland...interesting to see if they'll finally unify because of this stupidity. Boris, Nigel, et al, <deleted> scum. As bad as the EU is/might be, it's better than what those clowns have in store, which they're making up as they go. They have no plan whatsoever beyond kicking their heels and screaming out, out, out.

24 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

It is pitiful and I get two GBP pensions. Still nothing can be done and no use harping back to 72 THB to 1 GBP, in fact we should not even mention 72 as it's depressing so I won't even mention 72.

Yeah I'm cool about having my GB funds virtually halved, all part of life's rich tapestry.

I'm just going outside....I may be some time.

2 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

Seems to me that the so-called 'United' Kingdom is about to come totally unhinged/disunited. Scotland, gone at the first chance for a referendum. Ireland...interesting to see if they'll finally unify because of this stupidity. Boris, Nigel, et al, phukking scum. As bad as the EU is/might be, it's better than what those clowns have in store, which they're making up as they go. They have no plan whatsoever beyond kicking their heels and screaming out, out, out.

sorry but little confused here, thought it was called the (DIS) United Kingdom

Brexit is just an excuse being used by the BOT. They have been floating the baht way too high against foreign currency and it will come back to bite them. Already there are reports of tourist numbers down plus foreign companies investing in Thailand are slowing. Even domestic spending is slowing down as things are getting to expensive for the common person. If the BOT does not start to fix what they have done Thailand's bubble will burst and it will plunge into the same problem it had in 1997 and the economy will crash! Time to get the old generation out of government positions as they are only there trying to line their pockets before they retire.

Local Thai banks& X-booths give you a better rate than the greedy banks back home. AUD k-bank 21.27

Back home the rate is 20.5.Big difference.

The pound has been dying a slow death for decades. Its halved in the past several years. Used to be 70- 72 baht.

What are UK banks offering? Maybe 35/6. They're worse off than Aussies in real terms.

Typically the yanks are faring better due to their gangster currency controlling the world....for now.

12 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Yeah I'm cool about having my GB funds virtually halved, all part of life's rich tapestry.

I'm just going outside....I may be some time.

Time for all British Expats to relocate to ground floor apartments... :coffee1:

You are all lucky! My UK pension has gone down from over 34000 baht before brexit to now today 26000 baht and from April 6th next year if the exchange rate continues to fall I will be lucky to get 17000 baht a month.

55 minutes ago, Geordie59 said:

The sooner Britain gets out of the EU the better. The uncertainty and scaremongering will be seen for what they and the £ will return to higher levels.

Ganja is still illegal here you know????

38 minutes ago, Longbow212 said:

My main point is that pensioners are not the only expat in Thailand or on TV. The article is written from for a very narrow audience. Thaivisa has been a great site full of information if one can ignore the negative characters such as yourself, one good thing about the strong Baht is it will force the undesirables such as yourself out if you don’t die of old age first.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Why such a hate? Hopefully one day you'll get old too. And the chances are you'll be in a worse position. The state pensions may have gone or shrunk to a minimum, and earning money and building a career in Thailand at the moment doesn't look like a great way to pile a significant net worth.

1 hour ago, PatOngo said:

Unless, of course you are earning Thai baht. ????

Or ...if changed that "burning ship of home country money"  in "Thai Bulletproof Kevlar" Baht …. like I did ,so 3 years no transferring my E.U. euros anymore (stay nicely waiting there for my homecoming..) , because that suicide U.K. Brexit ….it can last another 5 years ????….. but by then I plan 50/50 home country again and maybe Thailand or Cambodia or any other destination 

So I am not crying ,but not feel happy anyway as GBP or Euro  both suffer by it

47 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Property here or UK ?. In UK then I suggest Brexit won't make much difference to the UK domestic values although in London there may be a short term drop as the financial sector goes through a rapid reduction.

Financial sector will hardly change. All that will happen is a few offices pop up in Europe for statutory reasons.

Britain is still by far the easiest to do business in the top EU countries and will probably get easier after Brexit

Just now, thirdleg said:

Financial sector will hardly change. All that will happen is a few offices pop up in Europe for statutory reasons.

Britain is still by far the easiest to do business in the top EU countries and will probably get easier after Brexit

evidence for this? 

3 minutes ago, david555 said:

Or ...if changed that "burning ship of home country money"  in "Thai Bulletproof Kevlar" Baht …. like I did ,so 3 years no transferring my E.U. euros anymore (stay nicely waiting there for my homecoming..) , because that suicide U.K. Brexit ….it can last another 5 years ????….. but by then I plan 50/50 home country again and maybe Thailand or Cambodia or any other destination 

So I am not crying ,but not feel happy anyway as GBP or Euro  both suffer by it

I and probably most Brits will take comfort in solving the water crisis as the flood of tears submerges Bangkok by November 1st????

Why such a hate? Hopefully one day you'll get old too. And the chances are you'll be in a worse position. The state pensions may have gone or shrunk to a minimum, and earning money and building a career in Thailand at the moment doesn't look like a great way to pile a significant net worth.

No hate friend, and your points are valid if one isn’t preparing for the future you describe. Thailand for all its faults is making progress and Asia is the place to be for the younger generation. It would be a pleasant surprise to see the exodus of the negative, cynical, chastising characters that try to attack too many members and give this forum a bad reputation.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, sammieuk1 said:

I and probably most Brits will take comfort in solving the water crisis as the flood of tears submerges Bangkok by November 1st????

I am lucky ….living floor 11 high Jomtien road ...????

13 minutes ago, thirdleg said:

Don't know why you are confused! Where are the markets going to go!!

https://www.doingbusiness.org/en/rankings

Germany 114 in the world for opening a business & France 96/99 in the world for buying property and getting credit. Plus all the other costs of moving + the timezone etc etc 

Good luck with that!!

My UK pension is a pittance,as i chose to retire at 42,

so i just leave it there,to use for buying bits and pieces

that i need from the UK.

I suspect speculators have a lot to do with the moments 

in several currencies,the question now is will the £ hold

at 37 and how much longer can the THB stay so strong,

I think if some tighten their belts any tighter they will

be cut in half,on the bright side it can only get better....can't it !

regards worgeordie

Archived