Why is 90% of the lettuce at Rimping stale?

luther

They don't refrigerate it, at least at Mee Chok, but you would think the high volume would mean it would be fresh. Even the iceberg and arugula I bought there today went in the trash. It's not wilted, but it's well on its way. I can't believe I continue to buy it...Lucy, Charlie Brown, and the football.

OMG! I'm out of here before the national image is totally destroyed. Forget the TM30, this is serious stuff! Maybe they could use the limp lettuce leaves to beat traffic offenders with!

37 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

Royal Project Shop
65 Suthep Rd, Suthep, Amphoe Mueang Chiang Mai, Chang Wat Chiang Mai 50200
053 114 221 ext. 455
https://maps.app.goo.gl/nGGjm2jSyGgjYZKH6

Best lettuce I have seen and eaten since working on a friend's lettuce/tomato/pepper farm in Hollister, CA.  Just bring some dressing with you from the US, unless you like outrageously priced warm mayo, or that disgusting salad cream stuff, which is warm mayo with extra sugar. 

[quote post="14408986" timestamp="1564488172"

Just bring some dressing with you from the US, unless you like outrageously priced warm mayo, or that disgusting salad cream stuff, which is warm mayo with extra sugar. 

Right, like there are no other options here. Have a look about boy. Markets have all the quality makings for the ten minute job of making good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If you walk 100 meters you will be in the Ruamchok fresh market. There you can get fresh lettuce for a fraction of the price. Same goes for all produce. I can't for the life of me understand why people buy run-of-the-mill products in Rimping or Tops; they are at least 50 percent more expensive and often much more than that. Maybe some people like to be price gouged....

14 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

If you walk 100 meters you will be in the Ruamchok fresh market. There you can get fresh lettuce for a fraction of the price. Same goes for all produce. I can't for the life of me understand why people buy run-of-the-mill products in Rimping or Tops; they are at least 50 percent more expensive and often much more than that. Maybe some people like to be price gouged....

The lettuce at the place you suggest is loaded with chemicals.

Also many of the products at Tops and Rimping are imported. We recently bought superb black cherries.

...and you think that because it's in a chain supermarket that no chemicals or fertilizer was used? Oh...kay....

Besides, you can buy vegetable soap to remove whatever it is you fear from the produce. 

And if you read my post, I said "run-of-the-mill" items, not specialty things like black cherries. I shop at Rimping for cheeses and other things that the fresh market doesn't have, but when it comes to common items, it's the fresh market for me. Don't be a scaredy-pants; foods in the market are not toxic. 

12 hours ago, elektrified said:

The lettuce at the place you suggest is loaded with chemicals.

Also many of the products at Tops and Rimping are imported. We recently bought superb black cherries.

The lettuce at Rimping is imported?...

No wonder it’s wilted... :coffee1:

Just put it in some very cold water,will come out crispy.

and I don't agree that 90% of lettuce at Rimping is stale,

overpriced,yes, you would see its wilted ,so why did you

buy it ?, FAKE NEWS.

regards Worgeordie

8 minutes ago, moontang said:

A salad spinner is your best friend.. Bought mine at the 99 cents only store.. anyone bought one here? 

Bought one years ago,and use it regularly, but it was not 99 cents !

regards worgeordie

There are may ways of washing vegetables once you have brought them home, go to you tube or google.Anybody that believes they are buying strictly organic free of pesticides are very naive,its hit or miss

If you happen to be around any market early morning eg Mae Hia you can see the pick ups bringing in fresh produce.At the supermarkets the trucks come & put them into cold storage,when they eventually hit the shelves they are far from fresh and twice, or more, the price.

Believe it or not, the hardest thing for me to source when cooking tacos or burgers is proper iceberg lettuce. Makro stocks it, but never seen one for sale that wasn't either rotten or halfway there already. My wife calls it pak salat but she cannot distinguish between different types of lettuce.

2 hours ago, SteveK said:

Believe it or not, the hardest thing for me to source when cooking tacos or burgers is proper iceberg lettuce. Makro stocks it, but never seen one for sale that wasn't either rotten or halfway there already. My wife calls it pak salat but she cannot distinguish between different types of lettuce.

Steve, in Mexico they use cabbage on tacos.  

9 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Just put it in some very cold water,will come out crispy.

and I don't agree that 90% of lettuce at Rimping is stale,

overpriced,yes, you would see its wilted ,so why did you

buy it ?, FAKE NEWS.

regards Worgeordie

I was there last night only 3 or 4 hours after the OP made his post. Funny enough, the wife wanted to go there to get of all things...lettuce. The lettuce we got was not "wilted". And as far as those complaining of high prices, how is 42 Baht for 2 packs (buy one, get one free) of organic cos lettuce from Rim Ping Farms (not the store brand but an organic farm closer to Bangkok) expensive? Come on... We bought 8 packs for 160 or so Baht, enough to feed about 7 people when we make Caesar salad tomorrow.

15 minutes ago, moontang said:

Go to Rimping and it will be at least 2 days old, or go to Royal Project and it will be less than two days old.. you see the Hardway Club frequently addressing complex problems like this. 

Nothing wrong with Doi Kham store but it's not always convenient for us to go there. And sometimes after fighting with traffic we get there only to find out they are sold out of lettuce. But yes, great store and products and great prices. 

9 minutes ago, elektrified said:

Nothing wrong with Doi Kham store but it's not always convenient for us to go there. And sometimes after fighting with traffic we get there only to find out they are sold out of lettuce. But yes, great store and products and great prices. 

Traffic is a beast around there, for sure.  Suthep and Canal aren't exactly pedestrian friendly, either. It was one of the very bright spots of living by CMU, but once they gutted nightlife up there, that left Nimman, which was simply ruined.  I recall it was that Tesco on the corner that challenged them on the booze ban near schools, and won.  Jampha was also way, way above average, too. 

On 7/30/2019 at 7:02 PM, moontang said:

Best lettuce I have seen and eaten since working on a friend's lettuce/tomato/pepper farm in Hollister, CA.  Just bring some dressing with you from the US, unless you like outrageously priced warm mayo, or that disgusting salad cream stuff, which is warm mayo with extra sugar. 

Japanese sesame seed dressing from CP Fresh Mart

On 7/31/2019 at 10:51 AM, moontang said:

A salad spinner is your best friend.. Bought mine at the 99 cents only store.. anyone bought one here? 

Yep I bought 2 at a 100Yen store in Osaka years ago, still working well. (About US$1- at the time)

20 hours ago, SteveK said:

Agree about iceberg, for me only iceberg. When I was a kid it was popular to put a third of a teaspoon of sugar on an iceberg leaf an roll it up and fold the ends in for a kids snack, always a popular item at kid's birthdays, especially with a toothpick to hold it together. I do it now for my 3 Thai grandkids.

Archived