Why is 90% of the lettuce at Rimping stale?

luther

Worgeordie is right about putting it in water.  Not just lettuce, celery, broccoli and lots of other greens will come back to life like magic if you just put them in a big glass or jug of water and leave it alone for a few hours or overnight on the benchtop.  Didn't know about cold water - I'll have to try it next time I have limp greens.

I shop at Rimping on the river and have for the last 8 years. Never had any stale lettuce. Maybe I am only getting the other 10%. Of course, maybe I look at what I am getting before it goes into the cart. ????

David

I own a salad spinner, often buy lettuce at Ruam Chok market (agree it's fresher but fewer choices), buy lettuce at Tops in their salad bar, and grow my own when it's not snail season, but my main question is why Rimping doesn't refrigerate their lettuce. I go there thinking I will make Caesar salad with cos lettuce, but change my mind after seeing the lettuce. "Savage remarks" welcome.

1 hour ago, luther said:

I own a salad spinner, often buy lettuce at Ruam Chok market (agree it's fresher but fewer choices), buy lettuce at Tops in their salad bar, and grow my own when it's not snail season, but my main question is why Rimping doesn't refrigerate their lettuce. I go there thinking I will make Caesar salad with cos lettuce, but change my mind after seeing the lettuce. "Savage remarks" welcome.

Rim Ping brand lettuce (not the store brand, but an organic farm near Bangkok) is sold in its own refrigerated section at Meechok and in the refrigerated section at Mae Ping branch. We buy their cos lettuce (and paak boon) about 3 times a month. You must be missing their refrigerated case right at the vegetable section in Meechok. Only their products are in there. They often sell 2 for 1 when they have over-stock - in fact, every month.

Agreed that Doi Kham and other brands are not refrigerated.

Archived